• This topic has 28 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by cb200.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bike cargo trailers
  • cb200
    Free Member

I’ve had a search for historic threads but it’s full of obsolete links.

I’m thinking of investing in a trailer. It would be to cart wood offcuts/beer from work to home, and occasional grocery shopping.

I’m wary of the type with canvas floors for reasons of longevity, and as long as it’s not too big, it wouldn’t need to be folded away. Weight is not a huge issue either.

It would go on my 700c bike with fixed seatpost and 12mm through axle. I would definitely need it to attach and reattach easily when required.

Any suggestions or recommendations please?

tjagain

bob yaks just work. Not cheap

nixie

Robert axle project if you need a different axle to whatever the trailer is supplied with.

sam_underhill

I have a carry freedom Y trailer. It’s basically a flat bed that’s mega flexible. I have a big plastic foldable box that I can take on and off with 1/4 turn bolts in 2 seconds. Anything else I then just bungee / strap on. Again, not a cheap option, but it’s so flexible, mega solid and the soft hitch is genius. There’s no rattle from the hitch, and it flexes enough to lay the bike down and be really smooth around corners.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge has a cheapo IIRC, seemed to be getting on with it.

wombat

I have a Skiddii Bob Yak copy which I picked up second hand via a local Facebook group.

It attaches via a QR axle with knobs on the end to which the trailer arms clip. Don’t know if there’s a through axle adaptor because I use it on a bike with QR wheels. 700c wheels are fine with it as it the rear mudguard.

I can do a week’s shop for 4 adults with it without any issues. Teamed with a pair of panniers and it’s amazing how much I can carry.

Would get a genuine Bob Yak if funds allowed but the current one is going strong after a year and only cost me £20 so it’s definitely a good buy for me.

Rolls nicely, don’t really notice it’s there unless it’s really loaded up and even then it rides well. Need to remember to allow more time/space for braking and also for the additional length when pulling out at junctions.

Would definitely recommend

davidr

I’ve got an M Part Bob Yak copy and it works well. It was about £100 new and works fine for a week’s shop or a tip run. If I was using it more or for longer trips I’d get a proper Bob Yak or Carry Freedom (or just a cargo bike) but for what I use it for its perfect.

Olly
    Free Member

Cargo bikes are brilliant, if you can justify swapping your commuter for something a bit more dedicated.
    We’ve had an Urban Arrow and currently have a Yuba El Mundo.

If i was looking at a trailer i would be looking at making/converting one to electric, with its own battery and driven wheel, just because that could be a fun project.

p7eaven
    Free Member

OP, what terrain? ie how gnar and how far?

I’ve owned a the Carry Freedom Y trailer (large) with their ‘lollipop hitch’ and found it smooth and sturdy and reliable in use on tarman and light trails (ie bike paths/fireroads etc). As expected, for the outlay is considerable.

dyna-ti

I’ve got an M Part Bob Yak copy and it works well

Have you a link to that ? (Also think its M wave, cant find anything on M Part)

Bob Yak trailer – a complete rip off. Nearly 400 quid, and compare it with a trailer for the car, the car version’s 25% cheaper. You’ll pay £299.. Bob Yax, taking the proverbial 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

having repaired a few trailers for folks over the years…..I’d trust the yak at a fair bit over its max payload over a 299 car trailer which barely copes with its stated payload more than a handful of times.

I’ve had a Bob yak.copy for a sodding long time. It just keeps on trucking it’s clunky. It’s horrible it doesn’t fit 29ers but it keeps on working with just minor repairs.

Its retired to local use now I wouldn’t trust it on a tour no more. It’s become a liability.

tjagain

the bob yak is much better made than the cheapo copy – I had one. it rattled and eventually broke its hitch.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah my hitch has been broke a few times the hitch mechanism.on a Bob yak is far superior it’s a quality made its. With quality componants and quality welding which has stood the test of time.

A 299 car trailer is non of the above.

The box coming detatched from the tongue is a common issue due to piss poor tin

cb200
    Free Member

OP, what terrain?

Mostly smooth bridleway and potholed roads.

Thanks folks. Bob Yak looks to be around £550 with bag and axle.

Anyone used the Topeak Journey TX?

https://m.bikester.co.uk/topeak-journey-trailer-tx-bike-trailer-black-963117.html

tjagain

you can often get bobs secondhand – I did

cb200
    Free Member

I thought I’d update the thread in case anyone was interested.

I ended up with a Burley Coho XC over the Bob Yak, and I’m very glad that I did, for three reasons – the one handed quick release, the kickstand, and the suspension

Get to the shops but the bike parking bit is too small for bike+trailer? Unhitch and lock them side by side. Want to load the trailer whether the bike is hitched or not? Use the kickstand. Going over potholes and dirt tracks? Suspension.

It’s a great bit of kit. Well made and versatile. I’ve had it fully laden with timber at 35MPH with no speed wobble.

I’m also glad I went for a one wheeled format, as I can go around tighter bends without it catching.

rootes1

Nice!

dyna-ti

Excellent, now you can acquire 😉 offcuts from work .Quite expensive trailer all the same, though considerably better priced that thew bob yak

leonidbrezhnev
    Free Member

I’ve had an Edinburgh Bike Coop Bob Yak copy which has done the weekly shop for about 10 years. Unfortunately, I’ve run out of bikes to use it with as all are now bolt-thru. Has anyone had any success finding an adaptor? The Roberts Project ones for the proper Bob Yaks seem too narrow. Mine needs something like this?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If you can’t, I’d be interested in taking it off your hands. My bikes are all QR

cb200
    Free Member

Quite expensive trailer all the same, though considerably better priced that thew bob yak

Tell me about it! Basically if you want this at a good price, you need to live in the EU. Bob Yak is unavailable in the UK full stop, and the Bob Ibis is crazy money. And unavailable.

Anyway, how are you supposed to stop and take an insta-worthy pic without a kickstand?? Win win with the Burley 😉

benp1

Nice job with the trailer, that looks like a proper job

tjagain

leonidbrezhnev

What I did for one of my bikes with a bob trailer is I took the ends off the QR and tapped a m6 thread into the end bits- then the mounts could be put on the rack mounts on the frame. worked fine. I would think you could do the same with the cheap copy

alpin
    Free Member

I’ve had a Bob Yak since 2003. It’s spent most of its eighteen year life outside in rain and snow. The paint is flaking and there’s some surface rust, but still functioning just fine. Treated it to a new tyre last year. Still on its original inner tube.

Remember thinking £200 was a lot back in 2003, but it’s paid for itself many times over. Originally bought it for riding across Europe because it worked out cheaper than buying a bike with rack mounts, racks and panniers.

Now relegated to shopping runs, picnics, firewood and bbq trips.

I’ve a Bullitt now, too. It is fun connecting the Bob to the Bullitt. Longer than many cars, but with more carrying capacity.

Should give it a sandblast and a new coat of paint. Maybe weld in a new floor whilst I’m at it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If you think Bob trailers are expensive FFS don’t look at the price of Crust Clydesdale forks.

kcal

Looks good!
    Have had an EBC Bob Yak copy for many years – > 10 at least.
    It just keeps on trucking, luckily I still have bikes that fit it (just) with reliance on QR and the clearance. I actually bought a Bob Yak fork set to upgrade it for a NL tour a couple of years ago – which means it’ll work with 29r MTB wheels now.

It’s heavy, clunky, could do with a kickstand, but has been horribly abused and still works.

thepodge
    Free Member

While I love a good trailer, I’m also liking the bike, what is it?

cb200
    Free Member

While I love a good trailer, I’m also liking the bike, what is it?

It’s my gravel/commuter/errand/XC workhorse Pipedream A.L.I.C.E

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bike cargo trailers’ is closed to new replies.