Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • bike / car collision
  • Dickyboy

Does wing mirror clash on narrow roads come under “accident”, if so the police would have more reports than they could cope with!

I thought it was only a requirement to report injury accidents ❓

I’ve been in several minor accidents over the years & I am struggling to recall any that were reported to the police, even one where I received minor injuries after a car turned across my path.

Worth reporting if you think they weren’t legit, otherwise waste of police time.

bamford
    Free Member

Just satisfy your latent racist subconscious and report him.

not racist in anyway, considering my brother is half asian 🙂
    i would feel the same regardless of race.

globalti
    Free Member

To be honest I would do the same if I had a minor scrape because I wouldn’t want to involve the insurance company. In fact somebody I know who works for a motor insurer told me, off the record, “never report a small incident where there’s no claim because your insurer will put you down as an accident magnet and increase your premiums”.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    poly
    Free Member

v8ninety – Member
    In my experience on the Ambos police don’t tend to consider accidents as reportable unless there is significant injury; ie more than just whiplash or a couple of cuts n bruises. Whether this is official guidance or just roadside triage I couldn’t say. (Although that’s not for the driver to decide, tbf)

people have been taken to court for failing to report even with the most minor injuries.

If you suspect that he’s uninsured just AskMID. Bet he is though; if he wasn’t I suspect that he’d have just done one sharpish.

that will only tell you if SOMEONE is insured explicitly for that car not if HE was. He could be covered under a trade policy that insures him on any vehicle or it could be covered under someone else’s policy but not for him to drive. There are an astonishing number of people driving with no license too.

bamford
    Free Member

people have been taken to court for failing to report even with the most minor injuries.

so ‘poly’ to clarify i can be taken to court if I DONT REPORT IT?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

that will only tell you if SOMEONE is insured explicitly for that car not if HE was. He could be covered under a trade policy that insures him on any vehicle or it could be covered under someone else’s policy but not for him to drive. There are an astonishing number of people driving with no license too

irrelvant

Article 75 / Road Traffic Act means that insurers of a vehicle that has insurance at the time of the accident will pick up the claim, regardless of who is driving. Granted there are some procedural legal loopholes to jump through but thats what happens.

For the record we report every uninsured driver we come across (and I come across a lot) to the police (Gtr Manchester / lanc’s) and not aware that anything happens as a result.

DezB
    Free Member

From my experience, accepting a settlement without going through insurance is a BAD idea.
    Accepted £175 to replace the damaged wheel and a few rides later cracks appeared in my carbon frame.
    And I wasn’t hurt. If I had been, I would’ve definitely reported it.

I completely understand why you do take the cash settlement at the time, after getting knocked off your bike, you’re just glad your ok and want to draw a line under the whole thing.

D0NK

if the OP reports it to the police do they inform the driver’s insurer?

Driver sounds like a decent enough guy who just doesn’t want to take a whack on his next insurance premium, understandable, but if it was me I’d feel happier if the incident was reported (incase of any illegalities or some other development)

bamford
    Free Member

but if it was me I’d feel happier if the incident was reported (incase of any illegalities or some other development)

exactly what i’m thinking!

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely insurance. Police is OP’s choice, but you are supposed to report accidents where someone is hurt to the police IIRC.

irc

so ‘poly’ to clarify i can be taken to court if I DONT REPORT IT?

NO! Only drivers have any duty to report.

Even then there is no requirement to report every accident. Even injury accidents don’t need to be reported if the driver gives insurance details to the other party at the time of the accident along with name, address reg no etc.

Cyclists never have any requirement to report any accident.

bamford
    Free Member

NO! Only drivers have any duty to report.

Even then there is no requirement to report every accident. Even injury accidents don’t need to be reported if the driver gives insurance details to the other party at the time of the accident along with name, address reg no etc.

Cyclists never have any requirement to report any accident.

so call it a done deal, after accepting money on video, be a gentleman accept his money and leave him to carry on, or do i report incase of uninsured driver?

DezB
    Free Member

do i report in case of uninsured driver?

Nah. Why the need to squeal if he’s paid up all you need?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nah. Why the need to squeal if he’s paid up all you need?

Why is it squealing? If they have done things right then there is no issue.

Not reporting leads to accident stats for cars vs bikes falling. As said police and insurance are 2 different things.

edlong
    Free Member

You would have been better advised not to have accepted a settlement at the roadside, but given that you did, if it was me I’d move on and let it go.

sbob
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Sounds like he’s the kind of driver who woudn’t want the Police involved so he bribed you with cash to keep quiet.

Far more likely that he’s trying to avoid an insurance hike.

I was rear-ended (fnarr-fnarr) by someone who was very keen to make good the damage himself, who coincidently was also “Asian”, for those interested.
    Ended up going through insurance as I believed (correctly) that he had underestimated the cost of repair.
    Wasn’t a problem as he was insured/taxed/licensed, like most drivers are.

xiphon
    Free Member

I got hit while driving (side collision) by an uninsured driver with too many points on his license. If he was busted driving uninsured, it would have resulted in a ban….

Fortunately there was a bank right next to us (his), so I ended up with £4k cash in my hand.

It could have probably been regarded as extortion looking back…. 😉

Muke
    Free Member

Personally not sure I’d of taken his money but you did and it’s now bothering you so just go and report it and see what the law have to say.

bearnecessities

If you don’t suspect intoxicated or habitual cyclist mower I’d just move on in this situation as is.

2p given.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If I did £140’s worth of damage to someone’s bike I’d pay it in cash as well – it’s below my excess and I’d not want to screw up my NCB. Frankly I’d probably pay anything up to close to £1k – you just pay it back in premiums otherwise. Add on the time and hassle factor and it’s even worse.

You absolutely should report it to the police. It should go on the stats and, I’d hope, they’d do some sort of papers check on him as he might not be properly licensed or insured. that has nothing to do with payment for your costs.

glupton1976
    Free Member

He was an asian guy, with a passenger, passenger did the most talking, couldn’t have been anymore thoughtful though, offered to give me a lift home, as he knew he was in the wrong, sure they don’t drink?!

The hardest drinkers I know are either asian or ginger.

bamford
    Free Member

Reported as piece of mind, they are going to do checks at they will deal with it from now, and told me to stop worrying about it!

They said they will update me if any further action is taken, they said due to thestatement I gave nothing much will happen, other than background checks, and he will be taken off the road if he’s uninsured!

Piece of mind and I get my new wheels tomorrow 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

[Quote]not racist in anyway, considering my brother is half asian
    i would feel the same regardless of race.[/quote]

Makes your they don’t drink statement seem even more strange

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Best give him back his money then

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

The Guy was helpful and offered to pay for any damage etc, you must have given him a figure and he paid up, to me you have resolved the matter and it is now closed
    Doing anything else after would be underhand and a bit shitty really

Edukator
    Free Member

Madame got hit from behind on a roundabout. Only a gentle impact but enough to break a clip off a pannier. A couple of motorcycle gendarmes stopped. Madame assured them she was fine so they asked how much the bike would cost to repair. They told the driver to write a cheque for the amount which he did, gave him a talking to and with Madame’s agreement told him to drive off.

OP, I think you did the right thing and taking it further would be dishonourable and unnecessary.

br
    Free Member

A lady ran into the back of my car a couple of years ago, unfortunately my towbar rack with 2 bikes was on it…

Only real damage was to the rack. She offered me money for a new rack, which I accepted. In the end I just repair the rack.

I didn’t report it, and neither did she, but then she really didn’t want it reporting.

OP, I think you did the right thing and taking it further would be dishonourable and unnecessary.

This +1

nosedive
    Free Member

you took the guys money, i think you should honour that agreement; unless you have incurred more costs since. jeez, give the guy a break, he got his wallet out, more than some would do

scotroutes

There are two separate issues here. First is the money. As many have already said, that is compensation for the damage caused and avoids an insurance claim that could be protracted for both parties and a lot more expensive for the driver. The second issue is whether or not the accident should be reported to the police.

All speculation aside, what do we know about the driver?

(a) he caused an accident
    (b) he was willing to break the law

Personally, that’s the sort of person I’d rather not share the road with.

hora
    Free Member

B r+1

Breaking the law? Wtf. The drivers conduct at the scene etc is similar to what I’d do. If that makes me a crook (shrugs) so be it. Police have a serious amount of real crime to cope with.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This begs the question would people here pay somebody not to report an accident to the police?

grantway
    Free Member

bamford – Member
    The money will pay for a cheapo wheel for commuting, and I can’t pay for new skin or tender shins!, it’s just niggling at my mind whether I should, just incase he’s driving illegally and peace of mind!

Sounds like similar injuries to me some years back.

Now left with arthritis in left knee and probably to get worse further down the line
    and what you call need for new skin the hospital called it damage to nerve ends.

But I went legal and regardless of monies I still rather have not been hit by the car.
    Invest in you £140 wisely.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I got left hooked by someone a while back. While she was bemoaning the likely insurance rise, I remembered that the trusty Alien was in my jersey pocket. So I stripped the forks off the bike and owned her.

Job done.

Lifer
    Free Member

WIN

robbespierre
    Free Member

In fact somebody I know who works for a motor insurer told me, off the record, “never report a small incident where there’s no claim because your insurer will put you down as an accident magnet and increase your premiums”.

The problem with this is it also voids your insurance policy if they find out about it later. i.e. it allows them to not pay out on future claims.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

So you took the guys money and then still reported him.

Next week there’ll be a thread on here asking why motorists hate cyclists, I wonder why?

If you had any doubts in your mind you shouldn’t have taken his money and made it clear to him that you intended to report the incident.

Bad form IMO

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘bike / car collision’ is closed to new replies.