Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • bike build
  • willurd
    Free Member

i dont expect any of you to remember but i posted a thread a few months back about my ambition to create a cotic soul build. I bought in a random 'genius' with the intention stripping it and using its parts!

well this morning i finally got my lush orange small soul on my doorstep 😀 :D, and apart from shipping damage it looks the part.

thats really where my expertise ends, i now need to bash it together so i can have some fun. i asked my LBS and they quoted big big bucks for te build. i thought they may lend me a tool, but NO!

So basically what i am asking of you is if you know of any websites that can give me a guide to where to start and how to finish!

previous thread

merci!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Off you go and make sure you take lots of pics:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/

solarider
    Free Member

Where are you based? If you aren't far I would happily give you a hand and show you the ropes. It's an incredibly satisfying process and will then help you to spot and fix issues afterwards.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    willurd
    Free Member

awesome, what a nice comment!

im based in a village close to pickering, north yorkshire!

backhander
    Free Member

Other than general tools (allen keys, spanners etc), Headset press, BB tool and cassette lockring tool are all you really need (maybe a chain splitter).
    http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP347.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=FGL

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42809

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10183

It's not diffcult with the website soma rich has pointed out.
    Good luck.

Shandy
    Free Member

I have just done my first build from scratch, Park website and/or a big book like the Zinn one and you won't go far wrong. It will give you a lot of confidence and a better understanding of how everything works.

Tools – Buy cheap, buy twice. The only thing I am still using off my original "bargain" toolset is the cassette lockring tool, and it is getting replaced because it gets stuck on Hope hubs. Just buy decent quality tools online as you need them.

Consumables – You will probably find that you are short ferrules, end caps, brake olives, whatever. Make a list and move on to something else, keep building until you cannot go any further. You will inevitably nip out to the shop and then discover you need something else 10 minutes after you get back.

willurd
    Free Member

cheers guys

hmmm this is already starting to look more expensive then i initially thought 😐 with all these tools, but i dont think i have much of an option i suppose.

as for seatposts, i need a 27.2 for my soul, any recommendations. sale items out of preference!

soma_rich
    Free Member

I got a nice tioga seatpost on CRC for ~£6 the other day…

backhander
    Free Member

Tools are an investment. Think of the money you will save by not using the LBS workshop service.

solarider
    Free Member

I am in London. Nice riding up there, but a bit far for the weekend!

I have built up a full set of tools over a good many years, and whilst some of them (headset press for example) don't get used that often, I have found that I can get by with the following and use a shop for the bits that require expensive and rarely used tools:

Frame
    Shop – Fit Headset, Chase and Face bb, disc mounts and rear mech threads and the seat tube if they have the tool. Sometimes paint gets caught down there and it can score your seatpost.
    You – Nothing

Forks
    Shop – Fit Crown Race
    You – Trim steerer once you have decided the height (ideally purchase a saw guide, but a plumbing pipe cutter and metal file will do it well), fit star-fangled nut (ideally with a setting tool). You might want a shop to do this for you. Adjust the tension and the stem with a 4mm and 5mm allen key.

Controls (seatpost, saddle, stem, bars)
    Shop – Nothing
    You – Should be able to do everything with a 4 and 5mm allen key. Don't forget to grease where you need to

Wheels
    Shop – Nothing
    You – Possibly fit rotors (cassette tool for centre lock, bb tool for centrelock 20mm axel, Torx T25 tool for 6 bolt), fit tyres and tubes (a good strong pair of thumbs should suffice!), fit cassette (cassette lockring tool)

Drivechain
    Shop – Nothing
    You – Fit bb (HT2 spanner, and lots of moly paste), fit mechs (5mm allen key), fit chainset (possibly HT2 bearing tensioner, 5mm allen key if Shimano, 10mm if Race Face), fit pedals (usualy an 8mm allen key nowadays), fit shifters and brakes (4mm and 5mm allen key), fit and tension cables (cable cutters, 5mm allen key), fit chain (chain splitter, but buy a chain with a quick link, and for breaking the chain once a mini tool chain splitter should be enough).

And that's about it. Other than a decent set of ball ended allen keys (Bondhus are highly recommended and will last years), there are very few specific tools you'll need. I would recommend buying the bb tools as unfortunately you might need those every now and again! Also, the cassette lockring tool, particularly if you use centrelock rotors. You'll also need a chain whip to remove a cassette but that can wait a while yet!

As satisfying as it is to do everything yourself, the cost of the headset tools and prohibitive and you are probably best to leave that to a shop, but everything else is simple with an outlay of probably £50-£60 on tools that you will use over again. Cheaper than the labour for a shop to build it up.

The only other thing might be a brake bleed kit if you decide to shorten your hoses, or need them longer if your old ones don't fit. They aren't expensive, and something you should get to grips with anyway for ongoing maintenance.

willurd
    Free Member

awesome. ta

i think i might have drafted someone in to help me out with tools. but i do agree, a would be a sound investment to get my hands on some tools.

will post my build once she is complete!

cheers for the advice

ken_shields
    Free Member

Was going to suggest giving a hand too. I'm a bit closer than solarider but still too far away (Milton Keynes for me)

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I'm just building mine up now! Borrow tools off mates – I've borrowed the ones for the cranks off my boss, the rest is just a couple of spanners, allen keys & a cassette lockring tool.

You can fit the crown race yourself, just buy some 1.25" plastic plumbing tube (£2 from Wickes, for example), and tap the race down carefully using a mallet on the end of the plumbing tube.

Shimano's website has ALL the documentation you need regarding fitting their components – very useful.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘bike build’ is closed to new replies.