Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike build help please…
  • jkomo

What disc brake mount adapters will I need for fox 32 forks and trek frame.
    I don’t understand the whole sis or pm thing.
    Also.
    The forks are new so if I get the star nut put in now (or do I do it)
    What happens if I want to shorten the steerer?
    Should I get a hope head doctor?

Kryton57

Cut steerer first. Star nut later. I got a head doctor becuase I dont have a star nut installer and dont like banging the heck out of a new fork, but your choice…..

andrewh
    Free Member

Cut steerer first. Star nut later.

NO!
    Fit forks with longer steerer and spacers, ride for a while and decide how you like them, then cut to suit. You can put ths SFN in at the right height for the long steerer and then push it down further if you decide to cut.

stevied
    Free Member

1: depends on the size of rotors/brake type.
    2: Measure your frame before you put the star nut (or Hope Head doctor) in. You may need to reduce the length of your steerer to suit your frame.
    3: Hope head doctors are very good.

If you’re not sure on any of these it’s best to got to your LBS to sort if for you. They wouldn’t be expensive jobs to do and you would know they have been done correctly..

jkomo

Is there a disadvantage with the head doctor?
    It’s only a tenner more, but a bit heavier I guess?
    And
    To fit xt brakes 180/160 rotors

Kryton57

andrewh – Member

Cut steerer first. Star nut later.

NO!
    Fit forks with longer steerer and spacers, ride for a while and decide how you like them, then cut to suit. You can put ths SFN in at the right height for the long steerer and then push it down further if you decide to cut.

I do apologise, I assumed he knew the desired length of his steerer when I posted.

andrewh
    Free Member

If he does, then yes you are right Kryton. I never cut straight away, just in case!

andrewh
    Free Member

And yes, Head-Doctors very good.
    Disadvantages are (very slightly) heavier and they are too big to fit carbon steerers, but then you shouldn’treally use an SFN in those either, most come with a special Head-Doctoresque bung, the latter shouldn’t affect you.

Northwind

Head Doctors are worse than an SFN in every way, so it’s kinda hard to argue for them unless you’re too incompetent to fit an SFN tbh. SFN fitting isn’t difficult, and no need for a special tool, though if you do want to buy one they’re not expensive.

matther01
    Free Member

+1 Fitting forks first, cutting steerer later.

Few other comments…

You may also want to run them longer if you have two bikes that will use them (which have different Head Tube lengths).

Head doctors are good, but found mine difficult to fit. Oil the O ring and this should help. Don’t be tempted to hammer it in if it gets stuck!!

Rear http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13749

Front http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17390

or similar

If in doubt…get your lbs to cut the steerer and fit the head doctor/star nut (should only cost a tenner).

toys19
    Free Member

Head Doctors are worse than an SFN in every way

agreed, utter shite.

SFn works fine I’ve always like the idea of a headlock, but never got round to spending 17.99 on it…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike build help please…’ is closed to new replies.