Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 276 total)
  • Bike brands that were of their time and then disappeared
  • tomhoward

Karpiel?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mike at Dialled is doing the bmx race thing.Really nice frames too.

winston
    Free Member

Raleigh

Used to produce some beautiful machinery now just a pointless brand name like boddingtons

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Kirk!

D0NK

emmelle

BillMC

Is Prince Albert still about?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Ballistic

cokie

How about Kore.
    When I was a kid everyone at the local trails/dirt jumps had Kore Saddles/stems/seatposts.
    I’ve not seen any of their components since.

winston
    Free Member

“Sunn, although I think the name was resurrected a few years back, they are no longer the brand they were”

There is nothing wrong with my 2012 Sunn Tzar S1 thanks!

stevied
    Free Member

How about Kore.

Still going strong…

http://www.kore-usa.com/

convert

Road bike frames (well, they did others but not so well) – Principia were just about as cutting edge as it got in terms of making a light aluminium frame with lots of acid etching and the like and great production values. They are back now, but making very average carbon frames that don’t really stand out from the crowd.

hatter

O.K. in the ‘ice cool for 5 minutes then swallowed up by time’ theme here are some of the frames I lusted after all those years ago.

Chuck Racing:

Rotec

Cortina

And who can forget.. Spooky

I am aware that Spooky are still going in some form but they’re not making Mad DH and dirt jump frames anymore so sadly they’re just not the same to me.

tomhoward

Ftw ftw

Ooh, what’s happening at Brooklyn machine works? Edit, ah, hard tails, no more mental dh bikes, guess they got so heavy they imploded.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

AMP Bikes, always wanted a B-4, din’t spez buy them or the suspension rights?
    Sachs, again brought out, think by SRAM.

Suntour didn’t they make lots of mechs/drivechain parts and was “better” groupsets to have back in the day? now known mainly for there forks.

cokie

Still going strong…

http://www.kore-usa.com/

Aye, they exist as a company but I have never seen anything since ’03 in the wild.

dragon
    Free Member

Salmon parts.

Been bag clothing.

Vetta bike computers?

Cosmic Trail

Fat Chance (until recently)

Mongoose

Diamond Back

jimster01

Are Fuquay still about?

Syncros?

maccruiskeen

Hercules 🙂

Slingshot bikes?

They’re still going now* but they were never big at anytime where they . They seemed to have been around for ever and ever and ever seemingly not selling many bikes – I remember the ads for their BMXs with the same cable thing back in the early 80s

*Although according to their website they seem to thing 1982 was 29 years ago… so maybe they’re not still active

jameso

Brooklyn machine works? Edit, ah, hard tails, no more mental dh bikes, guess they got so heavy they imploded

Not quite.. They had a load of stock in the warehouse once that created the same gravity levels as a collapsed star. They’re still going though as the heavy metal essence of BMW had the power to escape the black hole that was created, looking like the motorcyclist on the bat out of hell cover. But riding a more bad-ass bike.

showerman
    Free Member

if you come out with been bag clothing you are showing your age. still have a yellow jacket of theirs in the loft still draws attention to itself if i wear it outside.

showerman
    Free Member

mountain cycle went pop a few years back think intense brought a few bits of them to build better frames

ThePinkster

Amp Research

I so wanted one of those in the day….

busydog
    Free Member

Outland — They developed the VPP suspension design and later sold the license to Santa Cruz.
    Their problem was that they used bushings at all the pivot points instead of cartridge bearings. When the bushings wore out, the frame became sort of a “flexible flyer” and the only way to get bushings was to have them machined as Outland had gone out of business.

I had one and, to this day, still one of my favorite bikes.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/general-discussion/632093d1312851175-outland-vpp-suggestions-please-img_0797.jpg

smatkins1
    Free Member

Not a bike brand as such, but…

IRC tyres. I think I’ve got a pair of red side walled IRC Kujo tyres in my dad’s garage.

Nokian tyres. My mate putting 24″ wheels in his Kona hardtail with 3″ gazzaloddi’s on was on to something. The Jr T’s he also put on it made one unstoppable machine.

*edit: just seen the other thread…*

Daffy

Klein:

singlespeedstu

Malcom Smith Racing. The prerunner to Alpinestars.
    Wish I’d never sold my MSR for the shitty Alpinestars. 😥
    Overburys. Whatever happened to them with their 24″ rear wheel.
    Etto helmets. They were the shizznit with their bear ears…

Funk bikes/frames – always lusted after one of these:

They’re still going. Producing custom built Ti frames.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

DeKerf.
    Fat Tec.
    Highpath.

Not to forget Macaw tyres.

hatter

Oh yeah, how could I forget!?

Ladies and gentlemen… my beloved Balfa BB7:

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Mountain Cycles +1

The San Andreas was just mindblowing the first time I saw one in the flesh.

cokie

Lahar DHV 9 Carbon

lunge

Rox was the brand that sprung to my mind.

Pashley as well. I know they still exist but they no longer make the legendary 24/26MHz trials bikes.

orangeboy
    Free Member

The pashly 24/26 snap a lot trail frames were just a blip for pashly who now do what they always did before and also own moulton bikes

jimjam
    Free Member

njee20

Iron horse

They’re just a defunct brand, not sure I’d say they were “of their time”, in that they didn’t innovate and got left behind or owt, they just didn’t sell many bikes!

Pretty sure the owner embezzled a few million didn’t he? Probably didn’t help the company. They won two or was it three DH world cups and sold a truck load of Sundays so I’d say very much “of their time”.

Dark-Side

Cook Bros cranks.
    Air B tubes
    Grafton Brakes

mduncombe
    Free Member

Have only just retired my superBs, literally just a few months ago. A couple of fingers now poking out through the ends and a bit smelly. Still, they must of lasted for the best part of twenty years! I got the reds ones to match my red Proflex 856!

MSP

There is nothing wrong with my 2012 Sunn Tzar S1 thanks!

It’s just a generic hardtail, hardly reminiscent of the world cup winning times of Nicolas Vouilloz & Anne-Caroline Chausson.

emmodd
    Free Member

Who said Suntour? Pretty sure they’re currently the world’s largest manufacturer of mtb suspension forks.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

what was the brand that’s UK trademark lapsed and Superstar Cycles in Nottingham then bought and put out a product, and everyone went a bit mental?

deviant
    Free Member

Aye, they exist as a company but I have never seen anything since ’03 in the wild.

Ahem…and very nice they are too!…(Kore Durox bars, pic came out much smaller than i’d anticipated).

[/url][/img]

mduncombe
    Free Member

managed to find a pic of me with my heavily tricked out proflex and wearing my SuperB gloves. September 1997 it says in the album and by that stage I had been mountain biking for 10 years already!

No elastomers here.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 276 total)

The topic ‘Bike brands that were of their time and then disappeared’ is closed to new replies.