Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Bike brands not in the UK
  • godihatehills
    Free Member

anyone know of any decent bike brands which are no longer available in the uk….
    dekerf etc
    transitions are now coming back as are tomac ….must be more out there just waiting for some wide eyed innocent to invest their lifesavings and try and import them!!??

amplebrew

Parkpre bikes, not too sure if they're related to the old Parkpre.

Parkpre

ojom
    Free Member

Importing is easy – it's selling them on where the skill lies.

godihatehills
    Free Member

ah I'll not be put off that easily!
    I helped get dekerf over here early 2000's and the shop I worked in squandered it….. Its been a long road but what can I say its my dream!

ojom
    Free Member

Do it then.

godihatehills
    Free Member

well thats what Im trying to do – just need to find a brand worth investing in!
    had a commencal before there was a uk importer, picked up on lapierrer when the only time you saw them was on the TDF but didnt have the resources or time to bring them in….. its tough to find the brands when you are not operating in foreign markets

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like you might want to research things a bit more?

godihatehills
    Free Member

thats what this is part of !

ojom
    Free Member

To be fair – and please do not take offence to this as i have no idea who you are etc – but brands like Commencal and Lapierre require resources on a scale that 1 man may struggle to provide. Smaller brands – bang on, no problems.

The larger companies need a clear route to market.

cynic-al
    Free Member

*imagines godihatehill's cold call*

"Hello? You make mountainbikes yes? You wish to sell them in teh UK yes? I heard of you in the internet yes. Would you like me import them thankyou please?"

godihatehills
    Free Member

thebikechain- I completely agree although to be fair commencal at the time were in their infancy – lapierre were massive in Europe though.

it is the smaller brands that Im trying to tap into now and thats why Im having such a hard time tracking them down- unless youre there you never hear about them until its too late!

godihatehills
    Free Member

cynical …thanks I hadnt considered that….I might try and get them to give me their bank acct number and pin code while Im at it.

ojom
    Free Member

You will no doubt have considered that if you have not heard of them yet, then many other people have not either.

It's easy to overestimate the size of a market for a small brand. Some stay small – it may not be profitable (worthwhile) bringing them in. Bear in mind too the motives of some smaller companies – they may not be looking for someone to sell their products in other markets. Many are happy as they are.

What's the story with Dekerf at the moment? What are they doing etc?

zaskar
    Free Member

godihatehills – Member
    cynical …thanks I hadnt considered that….I might try and get them to give me their bank acct number and pin code while Im at it.

Pretty much but he needs to have aself profile of what he can offer in terms of service to them and the customer.

Waves £20 investment.

Jamie
    Free Member

godihatehills:
    thats what this is part of !

I would just email a link to this thread when your bank asks for a business plan then 😉

godihatehills
    Free Member

when the guy I worked withg started iporting them there was massive lead times and dekerf werent sure quite what they wanted to do re europe… no commitment to the market as such they were quite tough to deal with (explains why the previous importer was so glad to be shot of them)
    because it was easier to deal with spech giatn trek et al the shop then put no effort into marketing them and that was that….things fizzled out.
    now it seems they are on the up and up, although production runs are still ltd they do what do very well (as always) but theyre being very focused about what they do and which markets they enter as you said earlier the motivation isnt there to be a global exporter, they dont have or want the capacity.

godihatehills
    Free Member

like I said this is PART of the research!
    my bank manager is very understanding though!

ojom
    Free Member

theyre being very focused about what they do and which markets they enter as you said earlier the motivation isnt there to be a global exporter, they dont have or want the capacity.

pick someone who does, that way you can make a living.

theyEye
    Free Member

Walked into my LBS here in Italy, and saw a Kraftstoff that I really liked the look of. Never heard of the brand before, so may not be around. Yet.
    http://www.kraftstoff-bikes.com/

godihatehills
    Free Member

agreed thats what Im trying to find, Dekerf are wicked bikes but Id like something a bit more consistent than Chris changing direction every 5 minutes

si-wilson
    Free Member

As mentioned you need to have a very clear way to Market. Buying the stuff is easy as long as you have got a bit of money, it's the large amounts of money and unpaid time you will throw at the brand just to get people to notice, and don't expect any sort of profit for a good time, unless you are buying an established brand that already has a good route into the market.

alpin
    Free Member

Liteville are a top German brand, of which you *never see in the UK. the Germans love them. 301 is a great bike that can be built into a race machine with 12kg or a lite-freerider with 14/15+kg.

* i think ONE guy on this forum had/has one

tails
    Free Member

liteville?

tails
    Free Member

beat to the buzzer

alex222
    Free Member

KTM?

alex222
    Free Member

Last (bikes)?

godihatehills
    Free Member

http://www.kraftstoff-bikes.com/ very …. euro arent they !
    thanks for that though- who knows could be the next endorfin?!

as for routes to market – again I couldnt agree more,

godihatehills
    Free Member

both last and ktm have importers
    ta tho- loving liteville, think our marketing guy knows a bit of german….but lets be honest they all speak english better than we do

ojom
    Free Member

Seen Krafstoff for 2 years in a row at Eurobike…

Lovley bikes BUT – can you see your average UK mountain biker riding one in the rain across an open moorland or at a trail centre?

They are very Euro – sometimes all that serves to do is to outline how different our tastes are. As much as we think we like colour and new design, the market can still be very conservative.

KTM are here already. You wouldn't realise it though. They do have great bikes and a good rep but they just don't click with the UK IMO obviously.

Liteville – lush, absolutely lovely and i really really hope we see them here cause i would love to sell em.

Last – yep, another great brand but still very very small. Think single easy up at Eurobike small.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I like the look of that Kraftstoff M1.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

I can't see past the hideous colour schemes!!!

westkipper
    Free Member

I'm still a bit annoyed that Tune dont seem to have any decent distribution in the UK.

ianv
    Free Member

msc
    canyon
    Q bikes
    asterix
    labyrinth
    Rage

sure there is plenty of German and small spanish/french brands if you look

alpin
    Free Member

Steppen Wolf, Germany
    Capic, Germany – although i think the LBS buys in some standard frames and puts his crappy stickers on them.

as for firms such as Tune, there is also Syntace (although i've seen a few bikes in the UK via this forum with Syntace bits).

accu
    Free Member

alutech-bikes.de
    a one-man-show ..nearly…, handmade in germany,..longer toptube, shorter headtube..whatever, as long as it makes sense, jürgen will weld it…

cheetah.de, a small brand, also handmade in germany…

2soulscycles.com ..just one steelframe so far, the "41.5"..with a unusual geo…

just to add a few -interesting- ones…

alpin
    Free Member

accu, i take it you're in germany…. whereabouts are you?

> me, split my time between north and south Bavaria (munich).

nasher
    Free Member

mdebikes.com

Easton tubing, exellent engineering.

Italian

pastcaring
    Free Member

wasn't it the fridge in penge that used to distro dekerf?

i help out ged the head who imports brooklyn machine works. ged imports for the love of the brand, not to make money. which is lucky cos all the people he's helped out i think it's cost him money over the years.

Potdog
    Free Member

Fusion?

KTM just arrived in LBS here (Tenerife) They look fairly decent for the better models.

vinnyeh

wasn't it the fridge in penge that used to distro dekerf?

That was in the 90's though, did cross my mind that maybe godihatehills was associated.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Bike brands not in the UK’ is closed to new replies.