Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike bags on intercity trains?
  • Premier Icon Rustychain
    Free Member

I’m flying out of Gatwick next month. I’d quite like to get the train as it’s a long way (travelling from up North). Does anyone have experience of taking a bike bag on an intercity train?

Looking at LNER’s web site, I might be able to store the bike bag in ‘bulk storage’ (which probably means the guards van). There is some conflicting advice on different parts of the LNER website and it looks like they could refuse the bike bag if it’s considered oversize.

Any advice or first hand experiences please?

Premier Icon hot_fiat

LNER will allow you to sling it in the van, but only as a bike, with a bike reservation.

Gatwick Express or Thameslink from st pancakes are an unknown. I gave up and have elected to drive down now we no longer have a link to lgw from NCL

Premier Icon Rustychain
    Free Member

Thanks for your response HF.

It looks like I’ll be driving, which is a shame as I can get an £18 fare from YRK to KGX!

Premier Icon olii
    Free Member

I took a CRC bag on LNER from London to Aberdeen last year without booking. I put it in the luggage rack in the carriage but did get a few strange looks. The guard didn’t comment although this was in first if that would have made any difference. I don’t think you’d get away with it with an evoc sized bag.

Just get there early and get it in the rack before anyone else!

Premier Icon hot_fiat

Yeah it’s bloody annoying. Just had a thought: I’ve not used an Azuma train yet, I suspect their van will be crap, further adding to the puzzle, though most LNER staff are awesome (they only get sad/grumpy when franchised out). The big difficulty will be the ticket barriers going down to thameslink at St Pancras. They’re single Operator trains so depend on the intransigence of the man at the top of the escalator to regulate what gets onboard.

Premier Icon rickmeister

Rusty, @ £18, why not buy it a seat?

All the hassle of driving will be gone…

Premier Icon dknwhy

Bike bags on trains from London to Gatwick are fine. Generally the aisles are filled with suitcases and bike bags anyway so nobody will care if there’s one more…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.