Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike bags EVOC vs CRC
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I did search, so sorry if been done 10 times already.

I borrowed an evoc bike bag once , it was great. Is it loads better than a CRC one that is on sale?

rugbydick

Depends which CRC one is on sale.
    I’ve got one of the standard CRC ones and it’s pretty pants. The wheels are too small and too close together, so it falls over – a lot.
    The Evoc one is worth every penny.

BoardinBob

Evoc one is heavily discounted at Silverfish right now

https://www.silverfish-uk.com/manufacturer/Evoc/ACCEssORiES/luggage/VAREVOC100405307_Evoc-Bike-Travel-Bag-Olive-Xl

I’ve just bought one for an upcoming trip.

I’ve had the basic CRC bag in the past. The evoc is light years ahead of it

whitestone
    Free Member

We’ve a couple of this CRC bag – https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/chain-reaction-cycles-pro-bike-bag/rp-prod114204 Can fit our fat bikes in them so plenty of room. Don’t know about the Evoc bags.

We’ll only fly occasionally so for us the extra cost of the Evocs wasn’t worth it.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I’ve got the evoc and my mate has the crc copy of the evoc and to be fair the crc one is really good.

The handle position on the crc one isn’t the best and I find it more awkward but the worst thing seems to be if it’s not loaded 100% perfectly it seems to like to fall over, the track on the evoc is a few inches wider on the wheels.

Both really good bags, I’d have bought the crc one had not picked my evoc up at 40% off.

HTH

devbrix
    Free Member

Have x2 of the CRC bags for the last 5 years and although they are not a patch on the Evoc bag they are miles cheaper, well padded, sturdy and OK if you are not going to be travelling a lot. We’ve never had any issues with damage. We do two trips a year and they are fine for that. However, they do have a tendency to sag and fall over if not packed really well. This pissed me off so much I built a frame in the end of the bag from plastic water pipes and velco’d it in which completely solved the problem. They are starting to wear now amd we are likely to travel a bit more from next year and will def eventually replace with Evoc

chrismac

Our crc ones have done 7 return flights and are still going strong. Sportspursuot has the evoc ones cheap at the moment

feed

Evoc one is even more heavily discounted here

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1635032?

this is the xl one for fat bikes though (so it adds a few kgs to the weight)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The price on Silverfish is great, less than the discount I got mine at which made it a a bargain, I’d think about one as a spare/replacement if the current one doesn’t feel like it’s got another 5 years left in it!

rugbydick

This pissed me off so much I built a frame in the end of the bag from plastic water pipes

This is basically what the EVOC bag has in it already. Makes it a really sturdy bag, as the pipes protect the bike a little and stop the bag form collapsing.

Kamakazie

So if I am only doing 1 or 2 trips a year, get the CRC one?
    Won’t need to lug the bag around much on public transport so I don’t think it’ll be too much bother that it falls over / slumps.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends on the price difference, airport with car hire a long way from the terminal etc. and big terminals and the evoc is really nice to have. It will lst a long time so it’s really a long term investment.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thing is though I found the EVOC bag cumbersome. The walk from Nice airport to to the train station for finale was a PITA. I found the bag tipped over quite alot when walking, liked it pivoted on the wheels and toppled.

So i guess what I mean is if the CRC one does this, it doesnt really matter…. perhaps…?

That xl EVOC is heavy.   May be overkill as i managed fine wih a LLS 29er in the normal EVOC i borrowed

5lab

I’ve got the polaris bag – having travelled with mates with evoc bags I’d say its on a par

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Axial-Pod-Bike-Case-p/pol01-5781-p.htm

craig5

The CRC bag is the best you will get for the money. Yes is dose fall over because the wheel track is to narrow and its prone to collapse. But in all other regards its bang on, especially  for £150.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Thing is though I found the EVOC bag cumbersome. The walk from Nice airport to to the train station for finale was a PITA. I found the bag tipped over quite alot when walking, liked it pivoted on the wheels and toppled.

Agreed. I go against the grain here always and will say the EVOC bag for how much it costs, should be great, but it’s not. The main thing going for it, is it’s quick to pack if you have an average sized bike.

If you have anything big, it becomes a total PITA. If it’s a 29er with 2.5 tyres, get ready for the fight of your life.

The logistics of moving it around make me angry even thinking about, which is saying something as a calm person. I’d rather chuck a box on a trolley.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike bags EVOC vs CRC’ is closed to new replies.