Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bike bags
  • Andy

Time I think for a new bike bag before a trip to Canada 🙂 Have been using an auld Chain reaction soft jobby for years but wondering to get something a bit more sturdy to protect my Turner Sultan 29er. Any recommendations please?

Looking at the EVOC which seems good, also someone recommended the Biknd Jetpack Bike Bag, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/biknd-jetpack-bike-bag/, which looks inventive, but not many reviews about.

Cheers

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with an Evoc. But the other one does look good also.

Evoc’s are so easy to use, takes me about 10 mins to get my bike packed or unpacked. Always nice when you’re done and having a beer when other people are basically having to either fully assemble their bikes or take them completely apart for the trip home.

Andy

Yeah seen others use them and was impressed by the speed of completion, whilst I was still surrounded by bubble wrap and old duvets 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Evoc, exactly what chunky said. Just flown mine over to Perth for the week, not ridden it due to the weather but not that upset as at was no hassle.

atlaz
    Free Member

+whatever for Evoc. Other than being a bit unwieldy on a baggage trolley they’re spot on

kilo

We’ve an evoc and one of theses Rose.de bike bag
    I always use the rose bag over the evoc, easier to lug around for a start

Andy

Ooh that Rose looks good. Kilo how does the ease of packing, protection and durability compare to the Evoc please?

Oh and what size bike do put in it?

kilo

It takes maybe a little longer to pack as you attach the frame to the metal base but then you’re not velcroing the bike into the bag like the Evoc so not much, if anything, in it. Stripping the bike wise it’s the sames as the evoc, pedals off, bars off etc. I actualy like that the frame is attached to the base and the bottom level of the bag is quite rigid for extra protection. Not had any damag to the bikes in transit and on one trip this was fine but the bike in the evoc got a bust brake resevoir but that may as easily be bad luck. Seems to be holding up well, two trips to RSA and some shorter flights. What I really rate is that it has four wheels so you can push it not have to drag it around terminals like the evoc which I have found a major pita when trolleys haven’t been available / an option (depite having this bag I end up dragging the wifes evoc :evil:)Packs away abit smaller too.
    Bike wise I last time it was used it had a large Ibis 650b with 2.35 tyres in it no problem. Make sure you also order the correct axle fitting things if you get it, they’re about a tenner.

skellnonch
    Free Member

I use a DHB much more room than the CRC one, better made and more robust £70 from Wiggle, one thing to note is the weight of the bag itself typically 7-9 kg. I’ve noticed that some airlines seem to be a getting little more on the conservative side with sports luggage allowance, so worth bearing in mind if you intend travelling lots.

robware
    Free Member

I like the look of that Rose bag.

1 question; how does the bike mount frame work with thru-axle/bolt-true/maxle?

Andy

Thanks Kilo – good call on the axle fittings, although I’ll be going out with a 135 QR rear and coming back with a 142 Through axle 😉

turboferret

I like me EVOC but that Rose looks like a good alternative.

Cheers, Rich

Andy

You are standing up in that Pic Turboferret? 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got an evoc. I stillborn ages to pack and unpack the bikes (i have two to do every time as i holiday vwith the wife), but I’m pretty sure I’m doing more than I need to.

turboferret

Andy, afraid not, but I reckon I could fit 3 of me in there 🙂

Cheers, Rich

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i got the Scott Premium one, its pretty good, has all the features of the evoc and more, bike is in or out in minutes with loads of room for other stuff. good wheels, handles in all the right placesm, loads of padding – only down side its friggin HUGE compared to the evoc.

Andy

Hmmm so its Evoc or Rose at the moment…..

EDIT: Late entry! – that Scott looks interesting 😀

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The Evoc has been out for a few years now so well tested.

It packs down really well too when not in use.

I’m not sure why people moan about ‘dragging’ it through an airport. If you pull it along properly it’s no issue. It’s not like you walk miles with it anyway.

turboferret

One point about the size, it’s rare that I find a car that the EVOC won’t sit across the back seats of. Taking frequent taxis as I do this is perhaps a consideration.

Cheers, Rich

kilo

I’m not sure why people moan about ‘dragging’ it through an airport. If you pull it along properly it’s no issue. It’s not like you walk miles with it anyway.

Because, in my experience, it’s a pita dragging it when you’ve got other bags to carry and you schlepping around from one terminal to another trying to find where your connecting flight is, using lifts which wont’t let you take a trolley with a bike bag across it.

mactheknife

Just banged my bike in an Evoc bag for the first time, they are an absolute thing of beauty. So well thought out.

I maybe went a bit overkill and took the brakes and rear mech off along with the rotors but in 15 minutes i was done.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

kilo – Member

Because, in my experience, it’s a pita dragging it when you’ve got other bags to carry and you schlepping around from one terminal to another trying to find where your connecting flight is, using lifts which wont’t let you take a trolley with a bike bag across it.

Sorry still don’t get it. Some other bags don’t even have wheels, just shoulder straps to either carry or drag. I just have my bag in one hand, backpack on, and with the other hand just pull my Evoc bag along. It’s never been a drag or unstable if you lift it slightly off the ground at the front like you’re supposed to. Maybe it’s just me that doesn’t have issues with this task.

Same goes for all my mates who use them. We seem to get through airports just fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, it was a bit much going International to Domestic in Auckland (20 min walk) but apart from that I’ve had no issues. It will fit in most lifts in most airports I’ve been in. Anyway I’ll be upgrading to the World Traveller suitcase to match which seems just as easy and tough to get around.
    As for pulling the Evoc I use the handle at the bottom and lift it higher, much easier to pull but does have some high speed cornering downsides.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

There’s an evoc bike bag for sale in the classifieds.

chelbow
    Free Member

Actually I bought one of the biknd Jetpacks — the zipper broke when I was packing the bike up in it the first time. So I’m waiting on how they respond to a warranty claim at the moment.

Will let you know.

M

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bike bags’ is closed to new replies.