Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bike Bag under 7kg – any recommendations?
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

I have just realised that I have a strict 23kg weight limit flying with Virgin.

16kg bike plus 8.6kg Evoc bag > 23kg 🙁

So I’m considering a far lighter unpadded bag and as much padding as I can fit within the weight limit.  The unappealing alternative is removing my forks and sticking them in my case.

Anyone done this and their bike survived?  If so, what bag? It has to weigh less than 7kg.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Where are you flying to with Virgin? I used a DHB bike bag to fly to Atlanta, then on to Charlotte, earlier this year – Virgin were fine, but Delta at the other end trashed the bag. I ended up buying an Evoc one as a replacement for the journey home and that survived. I put my pedals and seatpost in my other luggage and that got it down to weight.

Mind, if I had a 16kg bike then I’d be looking to sort that out first!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lighter bag less protection.

When I’m close I put rotors and pedals in the other hold bag. can get you close to 1kg for something Enduro.

Also your allowance is 23.9kg on the way out but only about 23.5 on the way back as they weigh in Lb. You could also take the seat post out for a bit of saving too..

I’ve never been pulled up that badly on the bike bag though BA couldn’t even weigh it at LHR as it was too tall for their bag drop., The old balance it with a foot works too, along with being really nice, asking how the check in person is doing and looking a little flustered, if you have some spare weight n the other bag it looks better too 😉

kiwicraig

Your lightest option will be a cardboard box. I fly regularly with then and never had an issue.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Las Vegas direct from Gatwick, no Delta involvement I’m pleased to say.

16kg bike is a Nicolai with a gearbox and will never be light but I love it anyway.

I will take a look at DHB.  If it is an Evoc style bag it will probably still be too heavy.

Rubber_Buccaneer

your allowance is 23.9kg on the way out but only about 23.5

How reliable is this?  Last thing I want is to be stood in the airport being told they won’t take my bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I will take a look at DHB.  If it is an Evoc style bag it will probably still be too heavy.

Seriously weigh your rotors, pedals and saddle that should get you close to 1kg which will leave you fine and the bike well protected. Worst case drop the crankset off if you can

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How reliable is this?  Last thing I want is to be stood in the airport being told they won’t take my bike.

They round down to the nearest kg/lb never had a problem in the US, UK or Aus

Rubber_Buccaneer

You could also take the seat post out

I’ve been looking at what I can stick in my other bag and it’d have to be pedals, discs, saddle and seatpost or the forks.  Seatpost (dropper) or forks are a bit more of a pain than I want hence considering a compromise on the bag

raybanwomble
    Free Member

The airline won’t refuse your bike will they? Virgin will just ask for an excess baggage fee which allows your luggage to go up to 32kg. You are going to get hit with oversize fees anyway.

Rubber_Buccaneer

weigh your rotors, pedals and saddle

rotors 300g, pedals 300g and saddle 180g so yes near a kilo but I thought I needed more.  If they round down as you say I may scrape it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All you need is 1kg

But if I read this right you can go overweight up to 32kg for £65 so maybe give them a call, pay that and relax

https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/baggage-allowance/additional-baggage.html

raybanwomble
    Free Member

That’s just one way though, I got his with 180 quid to cover both ways on swiss air.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Virgin will just ask for an excess baggage fee which allows your luggage to go up to 32kg

I’d assumed that and was just going to swallow the charge but their online info re sports equipment says

more than 23kg, you won’t be able to check it in as baggage – but our friends in Virgin Atlantic Cargo may be able to offer assistance to help you out

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If it’s close and they are looking funny then start taking the grips and front brake off – while saying it’s just going to go in the other hold bag – you sure we need to do this…..

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I would call them, because that seems stupid. Just don’t check it in as sporting equipment.

They go on to say “If you’re planning a cycling trip and only your own ride will do, you’ll be glad to know you can bring your bicycle with you, as part of your baggage allowance – as long as it doesn’t weigh more than 23kg.”

Which implies that you can take it on as part of your baggage allowance  without any extra fees if it weighs less than 23kg, but they don’t even bother considering size.

munrobiker
    Free Member

They don’t care about the size.

If you’re taking a normal checked bag as well I bet it’ll be much cheaper to hire a decent bike over there.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yep, part of my allowance so long as under 23kg.  I can understand they don’t want high value potentially delicate baggage that is both oversize and heavy.  Makes it doubly awkward to handle and more likely to take a knock.

Mike I may take your advice.  If close I can always get the hex keys out at the airport.  I could do without the added stress though, I just want a holiday 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

cheaper to hire a decent bike over there.

I get two bags so shouldn’t be any charge and I’m away for seventeen days so hire charges would not be insignificant.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mike I may take your advice.  If close I can always get the hex keys out at the airport.  I could do without the added stress though, I just want a holiday

As I said, never had any real hassle though binned inner tubes at SLC one year. Flown heaps with the bikes and it’s just been fine. (at manchester you weigh it and then head round the corner to oversized drop off for Etihad which is where I chucked the back with the wet shoes and clothes back into)

I did have the advantage of using the business check ins most of the time though 😉

So long as your scales at home read 23ish it will be OK or you can pull off the front brake before just to make sure. Again if your other hold bag and hand luggage are not over then smile, always smile, and always be nice and polite – even going damm it was 23 on my scales at home can help.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Then, yeah, I’d go for it. Virgin were excellent with mine, like I say it was just Delta that let me down.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

like I say it was just Delta that let me down.

The extra sports luggage charge? Got out of it after I got them to read the T&C’s of my ticket which was Virgin Australia who don’t care what you check in,

Rubber_Buccaneer

always be nice and polite

I may appear to be a right nob on here but I’m sure I’m nicer in real life 🙂

TheGingerOne

I’ve always used a Ground Effect Body bag which has no padding what so ever. Use of foam pipe lagging, bubble rap and some strategic use of cardboard has never seen a bike damaged. Takes up very little storage and I use the bag on it’s own in the car.

Yes, it is more faff, but does the job nicely as I don’t have space to store an Evoc bag etc.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bike Bag under 7kg – any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.