Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bike bag
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a DH bike for long-haul travel?

mallorcadave
    Free Member

You can hire one from bike box online here

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks, but I’d rather have a bag.

mallorcadave
    Free Member

Mind if i ask why 😕

mikey74
    Free Member

Boxes are pretty heavy (those you linked to are around 11kg). This coupled with an already heavy DH bike means I would nearly be at my weight limit, without even trying.

downhilldave

Evoc :mrgreen:

kilo

we have an evoc and one from rose.de rose bag. The evoc is good but if your traipsing around I prefer the rose as it has four wheels and can be pushed easily rather than dragged across terminals, both have been tough.

mikey74
    Free Member

Evoc are too expensive. I was hoping for around £120 ish

jonba
    Free Member

My planetx one kept my roadie alive on two trips in the last two months. Just pad out the fragile bits and pack sensibly.

Massive bag and relatively light so will easily fit everything in.

Failing that, the evoc ones looked nice – a few guys had them.

boblo
    Free Member

I just got a Polaris Pod recommend by pizzflaps of this parish. eBay found it me for about your budget and it weighs ~6kg empty. Not used it yet but so far, so good.

boblo
    Free Member

I just got a Polaris EVA Bike Pod recommend by pizzflaps of this parish. eBay found it me for about your budget and it weighs ~6kg empty. Not used it yet but so far, so good.

mikey74
    Free Member

The Eva pod is nearly £300, and therefore out.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

About the cheapest that you’ll find an Evoc style bag, with some rigidity/protection built in: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/chain-reaction-cycles-pro-bike-bag/rp-prod114204

Below that most bags are pretty similar. Get a Planet X or CRC one cheap, and make sure you get some axle spacers, lots of padding, and remove rotors and derailleur.

mallorcadave
    Free Member

Boxes are pretty heavy (those you linked to are around 11kg). This coupled with an already heavy DH bike means I would nearly be at my weight limit, without even trying.

good point

boblo
    Free Member

This one isn’t:

this isn’t nearly £300

funkhouser
    Free Member

just to bumps this. has anyone got/used the CRC one?

any further advice, ive got a bag but would like to upgrade…

vmgscot

Me and the GF use a mixture of low cost bags (but they maybe out of date now)…

Mines a Wiggle/DHB generic padded bag but it’s massize and will take a DH bike no probs. It’s the one-corner-wheeled type.

The GF has an older CRC padded bag – same quality but much smaller… just takes he Small framed Yeti575.

We line both with cardboard boxes for extra protection. They cost us around the £50 each mark in blow-out sales

d45yth
    Free Member

Some of the best packed bikes I’ve seen have been in a cardboard box, with everything protected in pipe lagging and polystyrene sheets, then wrapped in clingfilm. Takes a while to do though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

any further advice, ive got a bag but would like to upgrade…

Evoc
    I put the bike in and zip it up. It’s so well thought out I would suggest biting the bullet and going properly into it.

funkhouser
    Free Member

the CRC pro one appears to be a complete rip off of the evoc but a good £100 cheaper! obviously it emblazened with their stinking logos…

darrimc30
    Free Member

Mikey74 where you based, you can lend mine but I’m based in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bike bag’ is closed to new replies.