Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike alarms / Trackers / Rockbros / Seasucker
  • eyestwice
    Free Member

So… Looking at a Rockbros for the cars.

I’ve got some useful and effective bike alarms for home use. But they’re only effective under a bike cover where they aren’t immediately visible.

If I’m to stop en route to my destination – with a sucker bike solution – I need an anti-theft alarm.

This looks great for someone with an Android phone.

Does anyone have one? Reviews are fairly thin on the ground. I love how unobtrusive / hidden it is.

eyestwice
    Free Member
    Trimix
    Free Member

That’s a lot of money. If its just while you stop on route somewhere, then Id just thread a thick cable through the whole lot and pass it round under the car, or through the windows. Cheap and sorted. Its visible so it will put anyone off.

That alarm thing you are looking at is not visible, so it wont put anyone off. So it wont stop the scrotes or the opportunist.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eyestwice
    Free Member

That’s the tough call I suppose.

Visible, therefore deterrent. But potentially easily overcome by scrote with bolt cutters. Or whatever they use these days.

Hidden, therefore only deterrent when some scrote actually attempts to nick your bike. At which point he should hopefully soil his pants and go running to his mum.

Cost-wise as you point out – visible deterrent is far cheaper.

I’d like to think that enough people are parked in a service station car park to notice someone trying to cut through a cable?

But we’re British. Someone would probably offer to help.

ayjaydoubleyou

Pee bottle and some water and kendal mint cake/jelly babies kept in the car. Would never leave a bike unattended on the roof on any rack at a UK services.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hidden, therefore only deterrent when some scrote actually attempts to nick your bike. At which point he should hopefully soil his pants and go running to his mum.

When was the last time you ran across the car park to apprehend the person who’s car alarm just went off?

There’s your answer as to how effective that would be.

Would never leave a bike unattended on the roof on any rack at a UK services.

This +1, it’s sad, but it’s just asking for it to not be there when you come back.

eyestwice
    Free Member

@robfury That was top of my list. But I extricated myself from Apple a few years back.

The Alterlock is essentially the same but also works with an Android phone.

@everyone
    else…I may be over-thinking this.

I need to check with Laka and see where I stand insurance-wise.

Thanks all for your input, lots to think about 👍

SuperScale20
    Free Member

If using a seasucker what’s the point you can take whole bike off with pads still attached to bike.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Message sent to Laka.

Of course no insurance policy will stop my holiday from being ruined if my bike was stolen off my roof😕

I’m curious to know how other people have dealt with the situation.

eyestwice
    Free Member

If using a seasucker what’s the point you can take whole bike off with pads still attached to bike.

@superscale20
    Err…the alarm? Which is the whole point of this thread.

eyestwice
    Free Member

@trimix Any suggestions on a cable to run through the bike and windows?

zerocool

Won’t thru just rip the whole thing off quickly and bing it in the back of a van/car and scarper quickly?

I’ve never leave a bike unattended on a bike rack unless it was a POS as it’s just too easy to nick.

eyestwice
    Free Member

I don’t know. Will they?

Pointless post.

That’s why I’ve identified potential mitigations and am asking for opinions on potential solutions.

My question is pretty damn clear.

Thanks to the people so far that have actually contributed something worthwhile. Because they have actually read my post and helped to answer my question.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m curious to know how other people have dealt with the situation.

Hold it in, take turns going to the toilet, only stop at small forecourt style petrol stations, etc.

My rack bolts to the towbar flange, and the clamps to the bike do up with a bolts so it’s moderately secure anyway as a thief would need a spanner to get it off. So I do leave the bike on there with just a simple D-lock+cable if stopping for petrol. But there’s just no way I’d stop in a service station and leave it like that.

Pointless post.

That’s why I’ve identified potential mitigations and am asking for opinions on potential solutions.

My question is pretty damn clear.

Calm down, all people are saying is leaving bikes on racks at motorway service stations is a bad idea. The risk of it being nicked might well still only be 1 in a hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, you might get away with no security at all, but it’s substantially higher risk than in the back of the car under a blanket or just not stopping.

Their entirely valid solution to your problem is to eliminate the problem to start with.

seriousrikk

Couple of points

Every single insurance policy I looked at stated that bikes fastened to the outside of the car must have a lock through the frame and a component of the car – and the lock needs to be of the same standard as bikes locked up outside – gold secure in my case.

All the alarm will do is cause a few people to watch as scrotes load your bike into a van. Won’t change a thing.

I’m fortunate, I have roof rails. I would be looking for a cable which is long enough to loop one end through an alloy wheel spoke and the other end into a small u-lock on the bike chainstay. Easiest solution needing least amount of cable, and do-able solo. I do this just round my roof rails with a shorter cable and a hiplok DX

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.