Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike advice – Hebridean Way
  • rene59
    Free Member

I’ve only ever had mountain bikes of one form or another, never had a road/cross/hybrid/gravel/adventure bike nor desired to have one really. I have a full sus 29er trail bike and a 29er plus rigid Krampus which covers all my current biking needs. Looking at doing the Hebridean Way by bike and camping along the route. I have full bikepacking gear for the Krampus.

Question is – would the Krampus with 3″ tyres be too much for a 185mile road route like this? Would I be better swapping out the wheels to fit narrower slicker tyres and sacrificing some cushion/comfort? Or would a road/cross/hybrid/gravel/adventure bike that could take my bikepacking gear be best?

tjagain

narrower tyres on your Krampus would be my advice. How narrrow can you go on your existing rims? I wouldn’t bother with really skinny tyres that need new rims. We did it on the tandem with 1.75 tyres

scotroutes

Assuming you mean NCN780 then the choice is yours. Apart from an optional detour along the machair on South Uist – or along a beach – you’ll be on road the whole time. Something like a Schwalbe Big Apple might make it slightly easier going but you shouldn’t be in a rush anyway 🙂

I see the walkers version of the HW has just been officially launched. From the bits I’ve seen/know I remain to be convinced that it would make a good ride. There are some off-road sections where a 3″ bike might well be the best option though.

Enjoy the ride. It seems to be very popular this year, perhaps based on last year’s NCN780 launch with Mark Beaumont. It looks like we’ve drives to/from Ullapool/Oban most weeks over the summer.

rene59
    Free Member

My rims are 52mm for the 3″ tyres but I can buy new hub adapters and put my normal 29er trail wheels on and go down to sub 2″.

tjagain

2 inch semi slick tyre would be fine. 3″ might be a bit draggy

rene59
    Free Member

Thanks both. I will get some new tyres and go with the Krampus then. Not bothered about going off road on this one, just looking for a nice relaxing scenic trip.

scotroutes

I can recommend riding across the machair track. I managed on 28mm tyres so you’d be fine.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9d9wPe]2008-05-25 11-14-43[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

As you can imagine, the views are a bit drab though

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9d9yH6]2008-05-25 11-32-07[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Edit: don’t look through the rest of that album or it’ll put you off.

ianbradbury

On your own, or with others on narrower tyres? On your own I’d just use the Krampus as is – harder work, but you’ll get there. I’d only really worry if I thought I was holding others back.

rene59
    Free Member

I’ll just be on my own. Drab views indeed!

Just need to decide whether or not to take along the fishing rod now or keep that for a separate trip.

scotroutes

If you’re after a campsite recommendation then Balranald on North Uist should be included in your trip. As well as being in a fantastic location, Anne has a wee food van and does great home-made soups and cakes, filled rolls etc. It’s in my top 5 places in the world!

tjagain

Aye – takes scotroutes advice. Its pish. Look at this miserable pair halfway along the route
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/SVZPD5]IMG_2657cropped[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

tjagain

When we did it we started from Oban and returned to oban via the ferry from Harris to skye, skye to mallaig, ardnamurchan onto mull then back to Oban. I really would recommend this as well.

I can give you more route details if you wish.

rene59
    Free Member

I’ll be starting from Oban, was planning on returning via Ullapool to Inverness and getting the train back to Glasgow but your route looks a more interesting prospect.

tjagain

We rode back down Lewis to harris to get the ferry onto skye, down skye to armadale and the ferry to Mallaig, round the cost to arisaig then the A861 to Salen, out to ardnamuchan and the ferry from Kilchoan to mull then back across mull to Craignure and the ferry to Oban. the mainland bit was at least as good as the islands bit.. the other thing I really enjoyed is just west of callanish are some stone circles where few folk go – we camped right next to one

Edit : IIRC Scotroutes has detail o this route on his blog

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike advice – Hebridean Way’ is closed to new replies.