Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Biggest possible tire in 29er Reba?
  • nordofjura
    Free Member

I decided that I need a suspension fork for my el mariacchi. I’m riding a Hans Dampf 2.35 on the front right now (with a salsa chromoto) and quite like it, but I learned on this forum here, that it’s too wide for a 29er reba. Are there any 29er suspension forks that fit a HD? Or: Would a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 fit in? I just like it wide and knobbly … What do you suggest? Ah, by the way, rim is a crest.
    Thanks a lot for your advice on this.

Stoner
    Free Member

I can fit 2.4 Racing Ralph on a 30mm rim in mine – comes out at 61mm.

tazzymtb

Had a 2.55 wtb dissent in a reba 29er.. 2.4 ralphs no worries on wiiide rims as well. Hans dampf are not that big so unless rockshox have suddenly produced forks with tiny clearance I can’t see a problem. Wouldn’t touch a 2.4 ardent…they are crap. If you want a fork with big clearance my 29×3 surly knard fits in my fox f29 happily.

Edit: see stoners pic shows a 2.4 ralph with clearance on a big rim. Hans has a smaller carcass and the 2.35 is nowhere near as chunky, even with bigger knobbles

weeksy

Wouldn’t touch a 2.4 ardent…they are crap

I like them personally.

tazzymtb

Let me correct that weeksy. 2.4 ardents are heavy, offer poor traction in sand and gravel and are pretty cack in mud as well. If you ride big dry rocks or lovely forest loam they are not bad…..still bloomin heavy though ime

weeksy

still bloomin heavy though ime

you’re right about that… 900gr+ they are… compared to 600 for a Nobby Nic. In all honesty i’ve had no issues with the Ardent apart from the fact it doesn’t fit my rear triangle, so now i have 2 of them so when it’s winter (or a trailcentre in Wales) they Ardent is the front tyre of choice for me as it’s fitted to the spare wheels.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I run a Hans Dampf On my 29er reba. it’s about the same as the picture of the 2.4 Ralph above. Tight, but OK. It would be a night mare in grassy mud, but round my way, that’s not an issue.

nordofjura
    Free Member

Thanks guys!
    So I might just head for the best offer on a fork then.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Biggest possible tire in 29er Reba?’ is closed to new replies.