Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Biggest CX tyre. Which end
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

The lack of room to fit a Nano 40 in my Pickenflick ( see elsewhere) means I need to use something else from my collection for next weeks HONC and I doubt I’ll get round to buying something else and setting the tubeless up.
    I have the following. A 32mm cx knobbly, a 35mmcx knobbly and the Nanos. My initial reaction (which allows me to sell new Nanos maybe) was the 35cx on the rear and the 32 on the front. My logic is a) based on several decades of endure and trail riding where its an 18x 4″ rear and a 21×3″ front set up plus b) In the old days we used the larger bike tyre at the back as that carried the load and cushioned your arse.
    Would anyone like to suggest something else? Clearance at the rear isn’t huge with a 35 but I can just get my finger between the bridge and the tyre.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

For non-road race, I’d go bigger tyre at the front for grip.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Always bigger at the front for me, more grip and cushioning , same on any rigid bike

scotroutes

Knobbliest at the front, regardless of volume.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I run a 35c knobblie on the front and a 30c file tread on the back

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Are you sure a 40c nano doesn’t fit in a pickenflick? I’ve just ordered a pair of Hunt wheels with Nano’s. Will they not fit? I’ve got 35mm tyres on at the moment and there is tons of room?

mattsccm
    Free Member

It won’t fit. I suspect I have an early one. (Feb 2014) Even the 35mm one gives minimal clearance. 40 mm jams against the chainstay bridge hard enough to compress the tyre. Swapped the all around and it’s now 35 on front and 32 on back for clearance. See biggest tyre on a Pick thread.

antigee

Always bigger at the front for me, more grip and cushioning , same on any rigid bike

live and learn for me – might be my riding style (if have such a thing) but traction on the rear seems to limit me – front drift can cope with

not a moan genuine interest

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Thanks Matt. Do you mean you have an early model Tyre or Pickenflick? I’ve got 10-15mm clearance all around a 35mm tyre. My pickenflick is a late 2016 model

benp1

Generally a front drift means a fall whereas a rear drift means a slide – sometimes followed by a surge of feeling gnarr

mattsccm
    Free Member

Early Pick bought Feb 2014

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Biggest CX tyre. Which end’ is closed to new replies.