Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bigger Hoops for my hardtail – talk to me..
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a non-boost Bird Zero AM frame, in 27.5 I moved most of the parts across from my old 2017 Bfe 26in hardtail, including wheels. The new frame has a new fork (27.5 Pike), so the fork is right for the bike.

Now I am using my very cool looking, but 26in sized, Mavic Crossmax SX wheels (circa 2012 design). The frame is black, they are white, so it looks ‘amazeballs’. They are in pretty good nick, as I bought them a few years back as old shop stock. Retro awesome stuff here: Mavic CrossMax SX you know 26 in still makes sense They are 21mm inner rims (so a lot narrower than what we see today).

I wanted to ask the great and the good: Will it make a noticeable difference changing to the 27.5 wheels the bike was designed for from 26in wheels?

It is non-boost frame and fork, so I don’t think I could run huge tyres and wheels – so not sure if 2.6 would work. I have already considered the point on the lower BB height, which I accept as a negative for running the smaller wheels; not been too bad so far, but I did clip a pedal first ride…so that may cause issues longer term. I have put on some fatter tyres to oompensate (2.4) and try and keep the BB as high as possible. If I upgraded to something like the Stans Flow S1s, I would go from a 21mm inner rim to a 29mm inner rim which seems substantial. Ones likes these: Bigger Hoops

So, at the risk of answering my own question, will the reduced rolling resistance over smaller trail features (because of bigger diameter), bigger volume (due to the increased tyre size) make a significant difference? I think the total upgrade would put me firmly into the ‘should have just got a 27.5 fully built hardtail in the first place’, so I am trying to kid myself…

slackalice
    Free Member

All things being equal, do you currently suffer from pedal strikes? At the moment you’re slightly closer to the ground with 26” wheels than 27.5”

You also have a slightly lower centre of gravity, which I personally like, others not so much.

As for bigger volume tyres, it is the latest fad to go large and there are some good reasons to do so, however, bear in mind that by going bigger, you are increasing the contact area and rolling resistance. For example, pump up your tyres and push your bike along, then drop the pressures and push your bike. You will require a little more effort to push your bike along with the larger contact patch caused by the deflated tyre.

If you are heavy boned, then a larger volume tyre and heavier rim may well help to support your weight. If you are not that heavy, then you possibly won’t require the extra strength, unless of course you do lots of air and hard landings.

BITD I went out and bought a quite expensive 150mm stem, because that’s what I thought I needed, because everybody else thought they did too. I imagine that a minority did require a stem that long, most of us followed the trend rather than our own individual needs and requirements.

HTH 😁

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks Slack. 150mm stem!?

I’ll perhaps try and run some even fatter and fast rolling tyres to see if it’s helps. I have some Ardent 2.4s in the garage and they should be a lot faster rolling than my 2.4 Barons.

legometeorology
    Free Member

You’ll probably get a 2.6 in the front right? I reckon a 2.6 front, 2.4 rear, with wider rims to run lower pressures will probably roll noticeably better. This is assuming you are tubeless.

gribble
    Free Member

Hi Lego – I am not sure what I can fit in a non-boost Pike Probably a 2.6 without a mudguard, maybe 2.5 (ish) with.

lardman
    Free Member

I have the Bird AM (non boost) frame and have run both 26’ and 650 wheels in it.

It’s got a 650 150mm fork currently, and I didn’t notice much difference TBH.
    The 26’ wheels had 2.5 minions on them and the 650’s were running 2.35 minions.

The extra grip from bigger tyres was noticeable, but the extra 12mm ish wheel size was not really: although the tyres did feel different.

All wheels are hope/flow ex with about 25mm internal. So not the widest.

I currently use the 26 wheels when it’s dry and I’m messing around on it, and the 650’s for winter with Maxxis shorties.

I wouldn’t waste money jumping up to 650’s before I had to have a wheel change from damage/wear.

lardman
    Free Member

I’m also running 165mm cranks, which helps with clearance.

ibnchris

If you decide to go 27.5 I have some non boost hope xc wheels I’m thinking of selling

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks all. Had some cash for my birthday so treated myself to some Hunt hoops.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bigger Hoops for my hardtail – talk to me..’ is closed to new replies.