Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bigger CX/Gravel Whatever Tyres – Vanity Content Inside
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hi all.
    In an effort to make my hated CX bike a bit more me-friendly I think getting some bigger tyres might work. Seems to be a fair bit of clearance in the frame and forks so going a little bigger shouldn’t be too much trouble.

Currently it has a pair of 32c Kendas on it. Not sure how CX tyre sizing works so whats marginally bigger than that to offer me a chunk more squish for off-roading this winter but at the same time (and here is the vanity bit), I quite fancy some skinwall tyres for it. Oh, and cheap as possible as its only a few hundred quids worth of bike so don’t really want to be dropping £40 a tyre on it.

Ta
    Vain Dave

siwhite
    Free Member

Not tan sidewalls, but I have some Clement Xplor tyres on my Sonder Camino which are 40c – I run them at low pressures (40-50 psi) and they are great – comfy and surprisingly grippy in the gloop for something with basically no tread. I’d rather a tyre that errs on the side of slick for better road rolling resistance – and makes gravel and mud more challenging (and therefore more fun!)

GHill

Again, not tan wall, but maybe a WTB Riddler in 37c?

I reckon you’ll be lucky to find something in tan that’s wide and cheap. Tan tends to be expensive tyres.

simondbarnes

How much clearance have you got in the frame / forks?

I run them at low pressures (40-50 psi)

Low?

siwhite
    Free Member

Low?

The sidewall recommends that the lower pressure is 50psi – I’ve never tried them much flatter…

richardthird

Not skinwall but dirt cheap quite light and really good rolling resistance and reviews.

Vittoria Hypers @ DFS £15 each after current discount. 32/35/37mm

EDIT Sorry these are road tyres, just noticed the off road bit.

BadlyWiredDog

If they’re the same Kendas as came standard on the Verenti steel thing my gf had, I’m not surprised you hate the bike. Ghastly, slow, horrid things. I have no idea about skinwall tyres, but I like Bontrager CX0s for dry stuff, WTB Cross Boss 35 for mixed, Scwalbe G1s for ‘gravelly’ back lanes…

But the good news, if those are the stock Verenti tyres, is that anything will better. You did get a Verenti right or is my memory playing tricks on me… Land Cruisers if you want bombproof, cheap, heavy, quite fast rolling.

woody2000

DBW – I’ve got some unused Racing Ralph CX tyres (700 * 33 I think) if they’re of any interest? Wire bead jobbies, nowt fancy.

cx_monkey

again, not skin wall, but the WTB Nano 700x40c is a great mixed terrain tyre. Posh or budget versions available

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

BWD – it is a Verenti. I think there might be a half decent bike hidden there somewhere but the tyres especially are noticeably crap.

Jason – I’ll ping you about those tyres. May be worth a go… maybe its not fatter tyres I need, just better!

dovebiker

IME a 38-40mm tyre makes a CX bike very capable offroad with virtually no reduction in on-road speed, but a huge difference in terms of grip and handling. Schwalbe Smart Sams if cash is tight or WTB Nanos or Surly Knards otherwise.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like you are riding CX but playing round off road so knobblies may not be needed. They have little value on gravel and soft mud although dead nice of slippery grass and off camber hard stuff.
    Just look for some big fat hybrid tyres.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

FWIW the ranges in pressure stated on CX tyres I use ranges from about 40 min to 70 max.

The highest pressure I’ve used off road in the last 15 years is about 35psi……… and that’s mostly 35 or smaller. (33 these days)

BadlyWiredDog

BWD – it is a Verenti. I think there might be a half decent bike hidden there somewhere but the tyres especially are noticeably crap.

Ah okay. The tyres make a significant difference I think. t’s always going to be a pig heavy thing, but I remember being gob-smacked at just how slow the original Kendas felt. Your next step after that would be lighter wheels and maybe lower gearing – 11-32 out back perhaps – but like you say, it’s a little like deluding yourself that Donal Trump is going to be miraculously transformed into someone driven by empathy and reason.

thomthumb
    Free Member

surly knard. only ridden with one the front for 1 hour. but it;s big squishy and grippy…

ElShalimo

DaveyBoyWonder – ygm

tandemonium
    Free Member

Schwalbe Landcruisers – come in 35& 40 sizes. I’ve used 40s on my Pickenflick for the Lakes Monster Miles and Grizedale Grizzly Adventure X rides. Very capable, tough & really fast rolling on road, and surprisingly good grip off road. Heavy , but hey, they’re only £11 each from Halfords.
    PS they are used by a lot of the 3 Peaks CX guys, so can’t be that bad!

wzzzz
    Free Member

Worth spending a bit on quality, supple lightweight tyres IMHO and ideally set them up tubeless.

Don’t get cheap tyres they are mostly heavy dogs.

If you can fit a 43c tyre I’d recommend bruce gordon rock n road:

Check for fitment using the measurements here: http://www.bgcycles.com/new-page/

Or I also have a set of Soma Cazadero 42c for more road biased rides:

Both are really high quality, lightweight supple tyres and give a great ride.

kiwijohn

I’m rolling on Specialized Sawtooths, 42 & skin wall. Tubeless up a treat. Cool really well, but still capable off road.
    They are pretty fat though, only just fit my Singular Kite mark 1.

tomwoodbury

Wzzzz- are you aware of a UK stockist for the Rock n Road tyres?

Trekster

38 Challenge Gravel Grinders on my Ridley X Trail

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bigger CX/Gravel Whatever Tyres – Vanity Content Inside’ is closed to new replies.