Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bigger Big Ring! Shifting or Ratio issues?
  • Stevo210
    Free Member

Running an XT crankset 40/28. Need to up the teeth count on the front ring as I’m finding I’m running out of gears on the odd bit of tarmac 🙁
    What are my options of replacing just the big ring for something bigger. Does it work that way with gear ratios or will I have issues with front derailleur shifting?
    Running a triple on another bike with a 44 tooth ring, this is more what I’m after I reckon, will it work with the 28 smaller ring?
    Advice much appreciated.

mickolas
    Free Member

most front mechs have a specified ‘max teeth’ for the big ring and ‘max capacity’ for the difference between big and small rings – look yours up. I use ribble cycles for my ‘stronglight’ chainrings and have been happy.

that said, what is the smallest sprocket on your cassette? going from 12T to 11T would have almost the same effect, if this is an option.

may come down to relative cost. chainrings are cheap enough and most mechs should cope with 44T. you will have to move it up the seat tube and readjust the cable.

EDIT – and don’t forget to lengthen your chain. see below:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wrong-gear-combination-results-in-broken-carbon-frame-

orangeboy
    Free Member

28 -44 would be a big jump and may not shift very well
    Or learn to up your cadence

nickc

Difference between 40T and 44T isn’t really worth the hassle I’d have thought, if you’re running out if gears in the 40T it would probably be only 1-2 mph faster with a 44T and you’d be back to square one again, only you’d have spent money on a new ring and poss a new FD and your shifting won’t be as good.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Might not be ‘on trend’ but how about just sticking a triple chainset on?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Stevo210 – Member

Running an XT crankset 40/28. Need to up the teeth count on the front ring as I’m finding I’m running out of gears on the odd bit of tarmac

Advice much appreciated.

phone Sir David Brailsford, and tell him to ditch that loser Froome…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have to say I think you’re going to compromise your MTB for the sake of a bit more speed on the road.

traildog
    Free Member

I cannot believe you are running out of gears for very long on tarmac, with a mountain bike with a 40×11 top gear. If you are, it must be downhill and you can probably tuck and not lose any speed.

It you’re that strong, then a 28 is surely too small so you could up both the gears. Going up to 44 would give you a bit of extra speed – at that speed then a few mph is quite a bit extra power. I’d have thought how long can you hold that 40 with the bottom cassette gear (36?) is more relevant to overall speed on a mountain bike.

Stevo210
    Free Member

I have to say I think you’re going to compromise your MTB for the sake of a bit more speed on the road.

Thanks for the repkies and I’m thinking that seems to be the case.

40×11 top gear. If you are, it must be downhill and you can probably tuck and not lose any speed.

Yup those are the ratio’s,Im no riding genius but on a slight incline I can end up spinning out.
    And yes I rarely use the 28. I wonder why the XT Double doesnt come in higher ratios as the triple comes with a 44.

Looks like I’ll just have to coast more and stop being in such a rush!

soobalias
    Free Member

if you wanna go fast on the road why are you using an mtb?

learn to spin.

Stevo210
    Free Member

if you wanna go fast on the road why are you using an mtb?

Got one, but its safer commuting with the Yorkshire pot holes.

Spinning…somebody is about to post the video of the Chinese group on rollers no doubt!!

traildog
    Free Member

I take it this is 26″ wheels? Even so, that’s pretty fast to be spinning out in that gear to be honest and I sort of struggle to believe the whole ‘spinning out’ thing.

The triple is now a 42 max. I honest think this is too big as the bigger the ring just gets bashed on rocks.

I use a 46×12 on my commuter and while this is a 700c wheel the narrow tyres mean it isn’t that much quicker and I rarely spin out even when shadowing buses at 30+mph.

Alot of my roadie pals just use a 39 ring for training and they hit 30+mph on it without worry of ‘spinning out’.

Anyway, there are options for bigger chainrings but you may well have to change the inner ring (you may as well if it’s not used).

Stevo210
    Free Member

I use a 46×12 on my commuter and while this is a 700c wheel the narrow tyres mean it isn’t that much quicker and I rarely spin out even when shadowing buses at 30+mph.

Rarely but you do…not to hard to believe then is it.
    I aint gonna be changing things if it will affect shifting so I’ll just have to stick with it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bigger Big Ring! Shifting or Ratio issues?’ is closed to new replies.