Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Big Trees blocking light
  • mildred

A mate of mine has a problem with his neighbours; the conifer hedge that forms the boundary of their property is so overgrown it is as high as the roof of their house. They’re blocking all light from my mate’s garden. Does anyone know his best course of action?

Ewan
    Free Member

johndoh
    Free Member

Has he spoken to the neighbours?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sancho
    Free Member

speak to the neighbours, but I am pretty certain there are guidelines/laws etc on boundary fences/hedges and the right to light is pretty fundamental

do a bit of research on line or enquire at the council offices on boundaries planning etc

mildred

Yes – they rent the property and told him they couldn’t give a toss (actual words were “i couldnt give a ****, i rent it. do it yer **** self if you want rid”).

mildred

do a bit of research on line or enquire at the council offices on boundaries planning etc

He’s contacted the council and they want £320 to go out and look at it. This seems bizarre to me but they’re adamant that’s what they do.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

do it yer **** self if you want rid

That’s what I’d do then.

johndoh
    Free Member

Or speak to the owner of the property….

project
    Free Member

We had problems with conifers over growing on height,complaints off neighbours, so the wood choppers cut the tops of them,but that made them grow out, so they blocked the car park,got complaints off neighbours, so got them cut back and that showed lots of dead inner wood, , we then chopped them down, and the neighbours complained we had taken their privacy away.

We pointed out they could palnt replacement trees on their side of the fence, but that seemed to to be to simplistic an idea for them and they never did.

Oh and theyre a very high fire risk, should a barberque cinder accidently come into contact with a dry bit of the tree droppings. ora a watering can full of salt and water to get rid of snails usyually helps the conifers to extinction.

shifter
    Free Member

High hedge law info

I looked into it when I was looking at a house that had a dark garden because of the massive hedge around the house behind it. It looked like years to have them down so I didn’t buy…

hora
    Free Member

Rock salt ?

Cougar

(actual words were “i couldnt give a ****, i rent it. do it yer **** self if you want rid”

“Fine, can I have your landlord’s contact details please?”

CountZero

Water them with copper sulphate dissolved in water? Then, when they’re dead, pay a local hoodie to sneak round at night and torch them… 😈

totalshell

neither you nor tha landlord will want a dispute over this ( you both have to notify the new owner/tenant when you sell relet of a property dispute..)

we re on the opposite side of the wall we have a wooded area at the bottom of our garden , last weekend the next but one nieghbours were up one of the trees with a chain saw.. on our property.. removing branches that over hung and /or ‘blocked the sun kight so we cant sunbathe..”

i was happy for them to cut back the stuff that overhhung thier garden ( and chuck it back over the fence..) and to cut out the stuff that blocked the uv from thier sunbeds

we went out for an hour and when we came back two of them were in the garden at the bottom of the lawn chainsaws singing.. ”all right lads was up” ” were just clearing all this out cos its untidy” **** off back to your property and your housing association will be notified in the a.m. ” ” sos didnt know it was somebodies garden….” wont happen again ..

sc-xc

I just cut all mine down. A days work with a chainsaw (enjoyable)… Then paid someone to chip and remove the carnage.

As above, go chop them down and leave them on his garden.. It’s incredible how quickly the garden fills up with tree branches. Let the landlord pay for them to be removed.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have no idea what totalshell said.

timber

There is something about a ‘right to light’, but domestic stuff isn’t really my speciality.

Did cut down a lellandii shelter belt by a house a while back, pulled out the stems for firewood, the brash pile was still bigger than the house.

falkirk-mark

Cut the thing down and tell the landlord that the owner (tennant) of the house told you that you could do it.

mildred

I have no idea what totalshell said.

😀

My mate just can’t be arsed doing it himself, which is underlined by a stubborn “why the **** should I go to the trouble then have to explain/defend my actions”.

The burning them down is the most tempting but they’re just too close to the houses for this – have you seen conifers go up?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Big Trees blocking light’ is closed to new replies.