Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Big things happening in South Africa
  • spekkie
    Free Member

Having now ousted Zuma and arrested a number of people, including some of the Gupta brothers and Zumas son, I hope this thing keeps going in the right direction and they have a proper clean up.

Zuma asked for immunity from prosecution as part of his deal to resign peacefully (for the 750 odd charges of corruption against him that couldn’t be bought to trial while he was president) but immunity was denied and he had to resign before a motion of no confidence was bought before him anyway.

JZ was only the tip of the iceberg but it’s a start. Maybe Nelsons Rainbow Nation can rise from this.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Good luck with that.

Given “The Crocodiles” history, I’d be very surprised if the ANC haven’t simply exchanged one corrupt clinger-on for another.

Here comes the new boss. Same as the old boss…

footflaps

Unlikely it will change anything, one corrupt despot will just be replaced with another……

globalti
    Free Member

I’ll be arriving in Cape Town on Sunday evening for a week in SA so I look forward to finding out what Saffers are saying about it. But yes, I suspect that this has come about because the new man has decided Zuma was getting too much of the action and it’s time to rearrange things. Same as will probably happen in neighbouring Zimbabwe, unfortunately.

I’ve watched Nigeria go steadily downhill over the last 3 decades and South Africa is showing exactly the same symptoms.

Bream
    Free Member

When I was there a few weeks back the locals just wanted him out! Think they were just hopeful that whatever followed couldn’t be as bad!?

globalti
    Free Member

That’s always the case. Once the culture of corruption has crept in, it’s almost impossible to reverse it. In that TV programme about the House of Saud they mentioned that a 65% kickback is now required for all government contracts. How would you reverse that?

jugheaddave
    Free Member

I am currently living in SA (emigrating to the UK end April) i dont think a lot will change, as mentioed above, the culture of crime and corruption is so entrenched in the people and leaders. Its very sad, South Africa is a beautiful country, with loads of potential. We have decided to leave it behind, the crime is getting to much! (i have been held at gunpoint twice) google South Africa farm murders. ps: i am not a farmer.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve been a fair few times as a tourist and love it, admittedly I’m talking principally the Garden Route.

To read about how the ANC has squandered a lot of the international goodwill (and how it was almost pre-programmed to do so), this book is an excellent summing up.

Zuma was always going to be the leader at some point. Ex intelligence chief, he knows where the bodies (literally in the case of some of the Angolan training camps) are buried. He was the Zulu who neutered Inkatha for the ANC. He had plenty of political capital to spend. If you appreciate how KwaZulu Natal actually worked back in the 90s you realise that it was virtually impossible for someone to succeed in politics by purely political means.

shermer75
    Free Member

> Given “The Crocodiles” history, I’d be very surprised if the ANC haven’t simply exchanged one corrupt clinger-on for another.

That’s Zimbabwe , not South Africa

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

great country, loads of potential, lovely people (mostly) hope this new guy can start turning it around.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OP you wishes are as misplaced as they are well meaning sadly

much the pity

spekkie
    Free Member

It would be hard for Cyril to be as bad as or worse than JZ and the Guptas.

Northwind

“shermer75

That’s Zimbabwe , not South Africa”

All these countries look the same to me guvnor

scruffywelder
    Free Member

My partner and I were in the Western Cape a couple of weeks ago (first trip to Africa for either of us). Beautiful country with enormous potential and great people.

Pretty much everyone we spoke to, regardless of race/social status/wealth, had much the same mixture of disappointment, disillusionment and frustration with the political situation at both the local and national levels.

The back and forth blame game over the water crisis in the Cape seemed, understandably, to be the topic bringing it to the surface there. Not looking good for when day zero comes around and they have to turn the taps off 🙁

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oops.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the guys i work with here from SA (from all over SA as well) are pretty much over the moon ,

new guy is apparently liked and a smart cookie according to them – they are banging the drums and have been arresting the previous regime on account of corruption – so far they are making all the right noises. be interesting to see how long that stays their opinion for.

their only gripe over the whole situation is that the rand is strengthening and they are paid in dollars – but as they say its not good for me but its good for the country.

globalti
    Free Member

Is arresting the Guptas and, hopefully, Zuma, the same as arresting all those Saudis and sticking them in the gilded prison of a 5 star hotel until they cough up their ill-gotten gains and hand over their corrupt networks for the new boy to run for his own benefit?

jugheaddave
    Free Member

I tend to agree with you on this.

trail_rat
    Free Member

that is how it sounds to me too to be fair , its just interesting to hear how they believe , but i guess for them they have to at least be optimistic until proven other wise. change is good as they see it

spekkie
    Free Member

Latest news seem to be that Zuma, a few days before he was axed, signed in a Law saying “you can’t prosecute ex-presidents”

We’ll have to see.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Big things happening in South Africa’ is closed to new replies.