Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Big semi-slick rear tyre
  • zerocool

Does anyone know of a tyre similar to the Minion SS and Rock Razor but in a bigger size? I’ve got a 29×2.3 Minion SS but would really like a 2.6 one (which doesn’t exist) as I want the fast rolling centre and good cornering edges but a bit more tyre to cushion the hardtail. It came with 2.6 Trail Bosses but they were the cheap ones.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated. If I don’t find anything suitable I’ll just default to a 2.5 DHF but was hoping the STW Hivemind might have the answer.

Ta

jamesoz

2.6 Spec Slaughter? Not the biggest ‘2.6’ tyre in 650b, no clue about 29er sizing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

2.4 Rock Razor is pretty much the same size as a 2.6 slaughter, and a better tyre.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The RockRazor is usefully bigger than the Minion SS despite what the sidewall says.  I have a 2.6 Slaughter (in 27.5) and I’m not sure it’s a great deal wider than a RockRazor but does have higher volume and appears to have quite a high profile on 30mm rims

swanny853

I like the 2.4 aspen, but if that’s a bit too xc I’ve heard good things about the mezcal.

(I accept these aren’t a semi slick in the ‘nobbly tyre with the middle taken out’ sense, but the aspen is perfectly good as a fast tyre that can handle damp conditions. Mine made it to late October this year and I think sheds better than the slaughter I have on the bigger bike. I’m assuming if you want a semi slick proper mud capability isn’t on the list.)

jamesoz

Yeah the 2.6 slaughter is taller than the older 2.35 rock razor and slightly wider. In 27.5 guise at least. I run both, the older supergravity rock razor is a great tyre. The Slaughter I’d say is faster rolling but not as good, but I can’t compare too closely as the grid casing (at least the one I have) isn’t as heavy duty as the supergravity.
    Both are better than the minnion SS, which I have in Exo casing (in my opinion obvs).

zerocool

I’ll look at the Suggestions. I’m not too worried about mud shedding ability as it’ll mainly be ridden on trail centres like FOD and I love a bit of loose rear end fun.

The bigger volume was just to help cushion the hardtail a bit (I’ve got about 15 years older since I last had a hardtail)
    Semi-slick was just an idea as I liked the 2.6 WTB for volume but preferred the Minion SS for cornering and rolling.

jimmy748

I’m running a Crossmark Mk2 on the back of the Hardtail at the moment, super fast rolling and far more grip than it should give, considering the lack of tread.

Northwind

2.35 rockrazor as mentioned is decently bigger than the minion SS, and IMO quite a bit better. If you can find the old Supergravity version (they don’t make one for the new range) it’s a pretty sturdy tyre too so can allow for a bit less pressure and still work.

I don’t think the slaughter exists in 2.6 x 29? It’s an annoyingly missed-out niche tbh

Terevail’s Cumberland comes in 29 x 2.6, but I think they’re out of production- I managed to find some from the classifieds but haven’t tried them yet.

mccraque

Bontrager XR3 comes in 2.4 – But one of the bigger 2.4’s.

I liked mine, til I pinch flatted at the bead.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Big semi-slick rear tyre’ is closed to new replies.