Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Big rides, jet-lagged
  • Garry_Lager

What are people’s experiences of going out for a big ride after a long-haul flight, make much difference, any nightmares?

I have a family get together on the Welsh coast near Harlech, and it would be nice to ride out there from Manchester – Ride would be approx 110 miles, 7000 ft of climbing (so not all that hilly for the length). I’m arriving back from China the day before.

I’m sure this is a routine sort of ride for most roadies, but it’s quite a long ride for me – I rode 100 miles for the first time in my life a couple of weeks back. Plus if the lights do go out mid-Wales, it’s not like you can get the train home. Would this give you pause, or just get on with it [with a super early start]?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Varies, sometimes good sometimes crap

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I try not to. When you’re tired, you make mistakes.

willard

A big ride when jet-lagged? I can barely navigate the arrivals lounge sometimes, let alone stay on a bike!

I guess the answer would be to see how you feel and not go if you don’t feel able to.

13thfloormonk

We flew to San Francisco for a wedding a couple of years ago, took advantage of the jet lag to get up at 4am and be across the bridge and into Marin County for 5:30am 😀

Got an amazing ride in and was back for midday in time for brunch with wife and friends. Was falling asleep into my evening beers though… 🙄

Garry_Lager

13thfloormonk – Member

We flew to San Francisco for a wedding a couple of years ago, took advantage of the jet lag to get up at 4am and be across the bridge and into Marin County for 5:30am

Got an amazing ride in and was back for midday in time for brunch with wife and friends. Was falling asleep into my evening beers though… A super early start sounds like a good idea. Out rolling at the crack of dawn, see how things are going at Chester, then push on through Wales if all is well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d say a shorter ride can make a good jetlag coping strategy, if you can sleep after, but no way would I commit to 100m, especially on the road.

alexxx
    Free Member

I just got back from NZ – going out there was totally fine – coming back has kicked me in the nuts and my sleep pattern and energy is rock bottom… it’s a bit of a gamble!

TiRed

Flew home overnight from the US, went straight to work, did a 50 km road race at 7PM. Didn’t suffer too badly, although I do sleep well on planes. West to East is always worse for me and takes about a week for sleep patterns to settle.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Big rides, jet-lagged’ is closed to new replies.