• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Big off yesterday- which new road helmet.
  • jkomo

Managed to go OTB at speed yesterday- totally my fault. Helmet cracked, top ruined, shoulder blade busted and needs pinning.
    Anyway, may as well spend my time buying a new helmet. Was thinking Giro synthe, since it was a Giro helmet that prevented a big head injury- (bruise on head goes half way round skull), CT scan shows all is fine.
    Synthe worth going 2017 and MIPS, or are the older models the same?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Giro crash replacement still going?

iainc

If your head is Giro shaped, the 2017 MIPS Synthe is very comfy. It is a shade smaller size wise than the equivalent non MIPS size labelled one.

prawny

Giro crash replacement relies on you having to pay RRP on the one you want, when I killed my last one it was significantly cheaper to buy another online.

Go with what fits with helmets, I tend to not spend too much these days, because I can’t afford to replace a dropped expensive one. I’ve got a Giro Foray MIPS at the moment, but it looks weird and is hot.

Fancy a Met Rivale next, had a Sine Thesis before and that was well comfy. (for me)

aP
    Free Member

My current road helmet thing is a poc Octal. I find it light enough, ventilated enough, comfy enough, and apparently its safe enough too.

krixmeister

Mavic has some nice ones on sale on usual sites. I recently picked up a Cosmic Ultimate for something like a third of original retail.

Does anyone know if Catlike are still around, btw? I like my Whisper (also bought on sale) despite its funny vents.

TiRed

Having written off a Giro Atmos and two Giro Air Attacks in the past two years (all with loss of consciousness, but no other immediate or lasting head injury), I now ride a Synthe for racing and another Atmos for general riding. If your head is Giro-shaped, and it’s done it’s job, replace with the same. The Synthe is very nice and has the same fitting as the Air Attack, just a little less “mushroom”. Very pleased with all aspects except price. Not bothered with MIPS.

Fit is the single most important property.

legend
    Free Member

krixmeister – Member

Mavic has some nice ones on sale on usual sites

Get the aero one 🙂

stevious

I’m moving away from my Synthe soon as I’m not quite Giro-shaped. However, it’s been the best-ventilated helmet I’ve used and is noticably less noisy than other helmets I’ve had in the wind.

jkomo

Synthe it is then!

atlaz
    Free Member

Go for whatever you broke. I smashed a helmet in a crash and immediately replaced it with exactly the same model (minus the huge cracks in the back). I’d liked the first one and as it performed heroically in the crash, I thought it was worth buying again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Big off yesterday- which new road helmet.’ is closed to new replies.