Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • BIG – Long Travel Hardtails
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Im 6’4, and more than that have long arms….

Was looking at a 19″ Bfe, 21″ Crush, 20″ 456c, all have top-tubes that are very similar length, and between 40-50mm shorter than my current FS (22″)…

If i ride a 19″ Bfe will I die?

are there any other long travel bikes that have XL sizes that I have missed, as I cant seem to find them, must be 26″ as have a set a good wheels and 150mm revs….

br
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ c/w long arms/legs and ride a 20″ 456Ti, run a short stem (50mm) and wide-ish bars (711mm) – fits me well with plenty of breathing room.

Maybe go wider bars?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe drop Cy at Cotic an email. I believe he is also a giant and would be able to advise.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kudos100
    Free Member

6’3 with long arms and legs. I can ride a 23.5″ TT with 60mm stem with no problems. I like to run 750mm bars as a minimum though.

garethcolins89
    Free Member

i know a very tall guy whos rides an evil sovereign, seems to work for him

ahwiles
    Free Member

the 20″ blue pig is a bit of a gate 🙂

i’m 6’2″, i run ran mine with a sensible amount of seatpost showing, and a 50mm stem – plenty of scope for a bigger chap to get himself comfy.

and the frame might just be for sale…

Euro
    Free Member

6’4″ riding a 20″ 456 Rainy Season. Also have an 18″ marin hardtail which was great for throwing about/jumping, but not overly efficient on all day rides. The 456 sports a 70mm stem and 750mm bars and is much better at the pedally bits than the smaller frame, and is fine with the seat down for the other stuff.

If you intend to use the bike as a wazzer, then the 19″ BFE might just be the ticket. Go to the bigger size if you’re planning on mainly cycling though.

munrobiker
    Free Member

On the Pinkbike classifieds just now is an Evil Sovereign in size XL which should be fine- think the guy only wants about £200 for it. That is the answer to your problems.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If its a long travel hardtail then most of the time you’ll be riding it stood up so top tube length doesnt mean anything.

scottfitz
    Free Member

BTR Ranger should be good the guy that makes them is tall too, the prototype was a large. There in production now!
    http://btr-fabrications.com/index.php/products/ranger

honourablegeorge

davidtaylforth – Member
    If its a long travel hardtail then most of the time you’ll be riding it stood up so top tube length doesnt mean anything.

Recycling your old trolling, I see.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Eh?

Use your brain for **** sake.

I’m assuming it’ll be for some sort of downhill use. Hence you’re stood up. Hence the TT length doesnt matter.

cookeaa

And so it begins…..

bigad40
    Free Member

I’m 6’4″
    Almost got a Cotic bfe 19
    Went for Stanton Slackline 18, TT is slightly longer than bfe.
    I have 70mm stem
    750mm race face bars.
    Currently Marzocchi 44Ti 150mm with 9mmQR
    Rockshox Revs 20mm waiting for hub adapters.
    Climbs like any other bike without engine and my tyre popping 18st Ogre girth…
    Downhill in a word, AWESOME!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ll admit to finding DTF’s style a little… provocative blunt at times, but he’s usually got a valid point.

i’m inclined to agree with him to a certain degree on this one,especially when different manufacturers use different geometry – like steeper/slacker seat tube angles – comparison can often be difficult, andor pointless*/impossible.

(*once i’m stood up i find i’m perfectly comfy on my GF’s 14″ tiny bike)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    i’ll admit to finding DTF’s style a little… provocative blunt at times, but he’s usually got a valid point.

i’m inclined to agree with him to a certain degree on this one, especially when different manufacturers use different geometry – like steeper/slacker seat tube angles – comparison can often be difficult, andor pointless/impossible.

Exactly!

Orangejohn
    Free Member

2Souls!

I believe the guys behind them are all quite large.

If you are happy with a heavy-ish ride and want to embrace 29er the Quarterhorse (Slimjim) is ace – strong and a good all day ride.

cookeaa

The OP is a lofty sod with Gorilla arms, I reckon the TT length probably has some relevance in terms of allowing the fella some fore/aft room to move about and breath…

How long before we’re told it’s the Downtube dimension that’s critical?

That is DTF’s regular line innit?

honourablegeorge

davidtaylforth – Member
    Eh?

I’m assuming it’ll be for some sort of downhill use. Hence you’re stood up. Hence the TT length doesnt matter.

Unless you’re buying a hardtail for lift assisted DH, which is rare, , then chances are it’ll be pedalled up, and TT definitely will matter.

And aside from that, I’d still disagree with you.

Euro
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

If the downhills were always at the bottom, that’d be perfect. Most of the ones I know of are up a bit, and standing up to reach them is a pain. A bit of thought towards climbing ability, while not the primary concern, isn’t that bad an idea.

honourablegeorge

ahwiles – Member

i’m inclined to agree with him to a certain degree on this one,especially when different manufacturers use different geometry – like steeper/slacker seat tube angles – comparison can often be difficult, andor pointless*/impossible.

Comparing geometry is rarely straightforward, hardtail or not. But that’s an entirely different point to top tube size being irrelevant.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

If i ride a 19″ Bfe will I die?

yes.

On the Pinkbike classifieds just now is an Evil Sovereign in size XL which should be fine- think the guy only wants about £200 for it. That is the answer to your problems

+1 One of the best long travel HT frames out there, and at 200 a good deal to boot.

chiefgrooveguru

Eh?

And we all know that all downhill bikes are the same size, because top tube length doesn’t matter when you’re going downhill…

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

that sov looks good Ive msged the seller, could be the answer to all my problems…

save the lack of fitness…

the bike will need to be ridden across and up as well as down, so I do want something i can ride, hence the sizing queries

honourablegeorge

fitnessischeating – Member

the bike will need to be ridden across and up as well as down, so I do want something i can ride, hence the sizing queries

Maybe get something with a 20″ top tube? Your knees hitting the handlebars won’t matter too much if you stand up……

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

hmm rather sceptical about that sov, advert gives a collection price, but he says can only post, despite offering to drive up this eve if it helped….

maybe im being too suspicious?

honourablegeorge

fitnessischeating – Member
    hmm rather sceptical about that sov, advert gives a collection price, but he says can only post, despite offering to drive up this eve if it helped….

maybe im being too suspicious?

That’d put me off, although I’d have thought an XL size is an odd one to choose for scamming purposes.

ChrisL

I am 6’3″ish and ride an XL Chameleon. I like it a lot. In the past I rode a 19″ Soul and got away with that but there was an awful lot of seat post showing. On the other hand, the large Pace RC303 that replaced the Soul was not very large.

cakeeater
    Free Member

6’5″ here on a Chumba HX1. If I was looking at a replacement it would probably be a Chameleon. If I could justify it then I would go for a Production Privee Shan.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Make sure the XL sov will fit – I’m 6’3 (and quite lanky, admittedly) and I can only get my pedal on if my 410 mm post is actually slightly past the min insert mark. Thankfully I’m also quite light!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

6’5″ just built a 19″ Bfe, so far seems good haven’t had the chance to take it on a full ride as yet

780mm bars
    60mm stem
    reverb dropper post which so far seems to vindicate the extra expense

if it matters

seems playful enough.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘BIG – Long Travel Hardtails’ is closed to new replies.