Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 698 total)
  • Big increase in military flights
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, accusations were made in the Senate about the amount of extra PIK flights. PIK are in the process of renewing a lot of their Aviation fuel pipework/tanks, which won’t be cheap, and I’m sure the US money will help.

Also rumours of Emirates taking an interest in the airport before all this started…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Probably the A400s from Brize

My wife showed me a facebook “news” story a couple of days ago titled “This Big Military Aircraft Has Been Seen Circling Over Gloucester”, with picture of A400 under title.

Well no shit. They live 30 miles away and are overhead all the time.

Reminds me why I stay off farcebook.

Anyway, my manager would like to pass on their thanks for sharing the link to that radar site – not.

🙂

pedlad

That site is now my personal PC homepage :->
    Currently a batch of military helis around Shrewsbury…..I don’t need to know that and wonder why but I am!

richmtb

Yeah that link is a deadly time waster.

I’m not going to lie, its not like i was doing a lot of work anyway but I think even less will get done now.

I’ve just worked out the colours correspond to their altitude.

beamers

Oh my, that website is fantastic!

I’m watching a couple of Typhoons heading out over the North Sea at 354Kts. Can’t be that important at that speed.

No activity around Lossiemouth though which is odd….

beamers

This would have made for some interesting viewing on that website:

null

dissonance

I don’t need to know that and wonder why but I am!

Just down the road is RAF Shawbury which is where the military (all branches) do their initial helicopter training.

jimw
    Free Member

I have seen a couple or so V22 Osprey flights over the past evenings, usually at about dusk. Coming east from the Hereford direction. Wonder where they have been…….

phil5556

@squirrelking

Phil are you another Atlantic House resident?

No, Glasgow airport.

Mat

No activity around Lossiemouth though which is odd….

the builders have started early?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Phil are you another Atlantic House resident?

No, Glasgow airport.

I am though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I am though.

One of my regular running routes is down the wee access road to the back of Atlantic house, nice n quiet for intervals.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

We had an old ATCO in Atlantic House, well retired now, but he used to own a second property (flat) just down Sherwood road way. Asked him if it’s available to rent short term and his reply was, “naw, I use the place for taking a shite”.

househusband

There was an F-35 making very jagged shapes over Norfolk earlier this morning… also found that the key ‘U’ filters military or ‘interesting’ activity only!

hols2
    Free Member

Pretty suspicious if you ask me. Denver airport’s pretty much been shut down, that’s the one shaped like a swastika.

null

You can’t look at this and not wonder what’s going on”
    null

willard

All that is doing is showing you were the OS gridlines are. You just need a smaller, lower plane to draw the in between lines.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I have seen a couple or so V22 Osprey flights over the past evenings, usually at about dusk. Coming east from the Hereford direction. Wonder where they have been

Brecon to Brize?

jimw
    Free Member

Brecon to Brize

I am not sure where they were going to, but they were almost certainly coming from the general direction of the SAS base near Hereford. Painted dark colour or black with a red stripe round the tail. Flew right over our house at <200 ft up
    As they do training in the Brecon Beacons, you might be right

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

They’re based out of RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We had an old ATCO in Atlantic House, well retired now, but he used to own a second property (flat) just down Sherwood road way. Asked him if it’s available to rent short term and his reply was, “naw, I use the place for taking a shite”.

Lol, the bogs at AH must be grim!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Hmm, KC-135 over Ayrshire/D&G right now, in fact.

https://ibb.co/f9YyGZW

cobrakai

Phil5556, do you know Sam Sinclair? We went through Bournemouth together and is a regular visitor down here.

stevomcd
    Free Member

A long time ago, I used to work in an office which was essentially on the runway of Prestwick airport. No exaggeration, we had “watch out for propellers” signs by the doors.

Got to see all sorts of interesting stuff come and go, particularly the big US military cargo planes – even got a tour of one of those. Always amazing to watch them take off, they fight their way into the sky so ponderously it seems impossible that they’re able to stay up.

The most unique one though, was a Russian plane. I was working there at the time the Kursk submarine sank. The Royal Navy had offered the Russians support in trying to recover it, which they belatedly accepted. The Navy’s rescue submarine was based at Faslane and was to be flown to Russia to try to reach the Kursk. The Russians brought over the big Antonov to fly it out. That thing was staggering. The “normal” Anotonov’s were common enough at Prestwick (they used them to carry Nimrod fuselages INSIDE them to go off and be mated up with the wings) but the big one was just jaw dropping. Doesn’t look like something that should be able to fly, even when it’s nearing the end of the runway!

hols2
    Free Member

null

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Wow, actually a U2 over Denmark right now at 60,000 ft !

endoverend

https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/

Was playing around on this site, what fun. If you order the altitude column there’s currently something labelled U2 at 60,000ft- but then there’s a German thing labelled TWR at 94,000ft…what would that be then…

beamers

U2 at 60000ft over the North Sea right now!

null

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Inbound fairford?

carlos
    Free Member

Oooo, nice spot

(edited post as previous spotted a U2 posts weren’t showing)

cyclistm
    Free Member

Its losing 7,500 ft/min, that seems pretty impressive to me.

Cougar

Broken formatting fixed.

If anyone successfully posting to this thread between eight hours ago and ten minutes ago could let me know what OS and browser they’re using I’d really appreciate it.

pedlad

Descending a bit as it aims towards Stoke – might be landing Fairford so may loop around my part of the world on the way round

Kuco

I did watch a US KC tanker and an RAF C130 appear to what looked like refueling practice. KC landed at Mildenhall the other night.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Cougar, I posted successfully using Chrome and Windows 10, but the formatting was all over the place. The post window was somewhere up in the right margin.

pedlad

Ah went south of Ledbury out of view

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

on approach fairford now

Cougar

Cheers.

The formatting was so donald ducked that the edit links were non-functional, I’d to hack forum URLs together to fix it. It didn’t occur to me that it was still actually possible to post, I just assumed you had some sort of browser combo that was unaffected by the glitch.

Thanks to those who replied to my question, as you were now.

endoverend

So come on plane type people, please tell – what can fly at 94,000 ft…it’s still showing on there. Is this some sort of unmanned drone nav beacon, too low for a LEO satellite. Maybe its those aliens the’Donald was on about, they’re coming people, stay safe, stay alert…

Edit: maybe it’s Elon Musk showing off in the A12 he named his baby after….

Kuco

Weather balloon?

jp-t853

Felix Baumgartner?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 698 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.