Big holdall/kit bag recommendations?

Home Forum Bike Forum Big holdall/kit bag recommendations?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Big holdall/kit bag recommendations?
  • Premier Icon ChrisL
    Subscriber

I have a big Thor kit bag that’s done my fairly well for the past few years. However I don’t think it’ll survive another encounter with airport baggage handlers so I need to replace it before I go to the Alps in the summer.

My Thor bag is pretty large – roughly 75 x 45 x 45 cm, which I like as I have the boot space to cope with it on regular cycling trips and it can take a week’s worth of stuff for foreign holidays too. Also it has two main compartments (and 3 smaller pockets) rather than just one huge one which makes packing and finding things easier. Unfortunately I can’t find any signs that Thor still do anything similar. So has anyone recommendations for something like it I could get?

The closest my initial searches have found are a Troy Lee Designs bag and this Crank Brothers one, though the latter seems a little risky, given it’s Crank Brothers it’ll probably look nice but all the zips will break and the fabric will disintegrate if it gets wet or something…

Candodavid

I use a North Face base camp holdall for all my kit, excellent quality and can be converted to a backpack easily

I have an Animal wheelie case for that. Also, have a look at Eastpak.

wysiwyg

I use and army holdall / backpack for riding kit and another for holidays.

ElShalimo

North Face bags are good but they scream “I’m wealthy please investigate my contents”. There are other options that equally as good and less likely to attract attention
    Tatonka, Haglofs, Rab, Patagonia, Mammut…basically all the big outdoor brands do expedition kit bags that are super tough and built to last. If you want British made and stealthy look at Aiguille Alpine kit bags, hand made in Staveley
    The one weakness they all seem to have is that the rucsac type straps are crap. They’re fine if you are walking 200m to a train station but if you need to walk across a town, they’re just not supportive enough and hurt as it’s a big bag and you will fill it

carlphillips

there was a thread on here a few weeks ago about some decent kit bags for £9.99 cant remember the name of them though..

cbmotorsport

Mountain coop duffle

Built to last a lifetime, so thick and strong and unkillable. Got mine in Canada, but I’m sure they’d ship.

Premier Icon ChrisL
    Subscriber

Thanks for the suggestions. The big North Face bags I’ve found in my (brief) searches all tend to have one huuuuuge main compartment and maybe a handful of small auxiliary compartments rather than two large compartments, which is a thing I like about my Thor – that Mountain Equipment Co-Op duffle seems similar.

Premier Icon ChrisL
    Subscriber

A small bump in case the weekday lunchtime crowd can expand my list of bags to consider.

Premier Icon beej
    Subscriber

Have you looked at Ogio or Evoc? I got an Ogio reduced at Chain Reaction – great bag. Friend has an Evoc which is similar.

Murray

Berghaus Mule

Lighter than TNF equivalent. Very well made and a reasonable price.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Have you ruled my Dakine to be too small and unmanly? A mere 80 litres, but pretty good organisation- nice massive end pockets etc.

Premier Icon ChrisL
    Subscriber

Northwind – Member

Have you ruled my Dakine to be too small and unmanly? A mere 80 litres, but pretty good organisation- nice massive end pockets etc.

Given that you pull out your yellow enormous (single compartment) North Face bag for trips to the Alps, yes. 🙂

The Mule looks like a possibility, but it looks like it’s mostly one huge compartment. That and the presumably rigid frame put me off a bit.

CRC’s only Ogios look a bit small for what I’m after.

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber
    grim168

my dhb has just arrived and for the money its superb

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

grim – I’ve just ordered one as a family suitcase really, is it plenty big enough?

Ta 🙂

There are usually Mountain Equipment duffels on offer in Cotswold Outdoor. One mahoosive compartment swallows everything, and has a seperate zipped waterproof inner compartment for wet/muddy kit.

grim168

I would say so. But who cares, you get sweeties as well 😀

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

ChrisL – Member

Given that you pull out your yellow enormous (single compartment) North Face bag for trips to the Alps, yes.

Touche! I think I could’ve squeezed everything into the dakine but the northface one feels that much more durable and slingerproof. But then I do have to carry tons of extra diabetic and coeliac crap.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Ogio Dozer? Looks like it might not be as good for internal storage organisation as the Thor, but on the plus side you could sell your flat and live in it.

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/ogio-travel-bags/ogio-dozer-8600-142l-bag-chrome

Oh is that a sportpursuit referral link?
    http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/Andrew_Cunningham_39916

nickhead

I rate Dakine gear for durability and practicality – I have a backpack, hand-luggage sized wheely and just got a duffle. This one looks pretty good

Premier Icon ChrisL
    Subscriber

Well I’ve just received one of those cheap DHB bags, but it’s a wheely thing rather than a holdall so I still could do one of those for things other than Alps trips.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Big holdall/kit bag recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.