Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Big blokes soft shells?
  • ton

any idea for a bigger sized soft shell for gentle riding duties.
    or a waterproofed/repellent fleece.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Rab do XXL mate…
    As do Mountain Hardwear..

Both do decent kit..

ton

cheers nick

MSP

Mountain hardwear and north face sizes are more generous than equivalent sizes from other makes, although north face seems not to do much of their more technical kit in xxl.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d say to the contrary, Mountain equiment softshells come up a little on the tight side..

curtisthecat
    Free Member
    Teetosugars
    Free Member

loddrik – Member
    I’d say to the contrary, Mountain equiment softshells come up a little on the tight side..

No one mentioned Mountain Equipment?? 😐

MSP

Loddrik – MH not ME 😉

Rab I have found to be too small, as are montane soft shells, while my montane storm rider jacket is just right snug but not tight, most makes give me problems on the shoulders.

oh and I found that the montane velo featherlite too tite on the arms and shoulders, while the featherlite smock is fine

TooTall
    Free Member

Rab xxl won’t fit you. It is a close fit on me (but the arms are super long in certain styles). Montane won’t fit you either. Sometimes a Helly Hansen factory shop visit can throw up XXXL in odd items.

Sam

There I was thinking this was a post about the gentler side of our clydesdale brethren…

bi6al
    Free Member

i have a lusso waterproof jacket in xxl and it is a good fit i also have a soft shell from mountain warehouse and it fits not as long as lusso one tho, im 6’4 with 32 inside leg so they need to be long on the body.

Wookster

Hi mate got an xxl soft shell from north face really nice but if kit.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have a Mammut that fits rather well, and also a Marmot and I am a reasonably big lad 😉

Generally speaking – although there are exceptions (see Mammut above) the US brands tend to be cut a little more generously than the European ones.

Best bet is to hit a good store, or stores, and just try loads on. Ambleside is always a good choice of venue for such things IMO.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Decathlon do some decent ones

Lummox

Ton I have a mountain hardwear windstopper soft-shell I’m looking to sell, burnt orange, taped outer seams and water resistant conduit soft-shell. It’s in very good nick having only been worn on a few occasions for around town duties.

I’d be after £45 posted and can supply you model name, pictures and dimensions if you’re interested, it’s xxl

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

XXL Gore Phantom fits me well.

MSP

xxl for gore is barely a L in most makes.

MSP

112cm being about 44inches

Mountain Hardwear Sizing Chart

SIZES SMALL MEDIUM LARGE XTRA LARGE XXTRA LARGE
    Chest 36-38 39-41 42-45 46-49 50-53
    Hip 36 38-40 42-44 46-48 50
    Sleeve 33 34 35 36 37
    Waist 30 32-34 36-38 40-42 44
    Inseam 30 32 33 33 33

Gore size chart

starsh78
    Free Member

😀

stevemorg2

The XXL North Cape Apex softshells are a lot bigger than the Rabs

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Ton – you are a very lucky dude!! if you are an XXL you can pick up practically any of the big brands best gear for peanuts…. these are the sizes that always end up being drastically reduced.

It’s always odd sizes or weird colours.

Gaynor’s of Ambleside have a warehouse full of this heavily discounted stuff – so it’s worth shopping around on the web. BTW… don’t just go for something bike specific like Gore or Endura. You’ll find good useable gear from North Face, Berghaus, RAB, Hagloff’s etc.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

xxl for gore is barely a L in most makes

At 6’6″ and with a 50″ chest, I’d be inclined to disagree.

hainman
    Free Member

i agree about the mountain wear being a tight fit.i just bought my 2nd softshell from tkmaxx and has plenty of room in it,tkmaxx is always a good shout and the make i got is cobolt(swedish make)at £30 was a bargain!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Oh, I forgot Haglofs… 😳

Ive got one of their softshells and its awesome..

To hot for riding in mind, but bloody great for out on the fells, when you stop for snap etc, etc..

MSP

Sponging-Machine – Member

xxl for gore is barely a L in most makes

At 6’6″ and with a 50″ chest, I’d be inclined to disagree.

Really I also have a 50″ chest and its no were near big enough for me, which matches their sizing chart stating their xxl is 44″ inches.

ton

just a quick heads up………most of the ones you guys have mentioned, i have tried and they do not fit.
    i have a 54” chest and massive shoulders, so they end uip being to short of sleeve, and body too.
    i was meaning REALLY big ones.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Patagonia?

Meant to size up bigger than quoted IIRC..

druidh
    Free Member

“Soft Shell” is such an over-used and mis-understood term, so it covers a multitude of fabrics and designs. Have you considered pile/pertex or pile/ventile? If so, have a look at Firemore. I’ve had some of their Goretex stuff in the past and it’s very well made. It might cost a bit more, but if you get a good fit……

momo

Have you tried a North Face one Ton?

I’m a 48″ chest with wide shoulders (and a big belly) and have one the the TNF Apex soft shells in XL size and it comes up fairly large on me – I could probably get into a large sized one, but wouldn’t have room for layering up underneath when it’s really cold out.

ton

druidh………perfect…that spindrift thing is what i am looking for.
    thanks all.

ton

quick heads up for all you bifters…………… 8)

north face stuff is huge, i got a north face apex and it fits comfy.

Xylene
    Free Member

Bought a Rab Vaporise from here in XXL and wore it out on Sunday which turned into peeing rain.,

Kept me warm and dry until the end. Really impressed with it, never having owned an epxensive outdoor jacket before.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Big blokes soft shells?’ is closed to new replies.