• This topic has 197 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 198 total)
  • Big Bike Bash, if you're not there…..
  • DezB
    Free Member

I think you need to share your pics Rich. I have got an account but still can't get em

soma_rich
    Free Member

err hang on i will sort that when they are uploaded….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

…was the rudeboy story the one you were talking about at the start of the short track xc then Peter? If so, dish it!

I don't think it's really my story to dish. IMO Peteimpretza or DrP should be the ones to blow the lid off it.

Suffice to say RB was in a very sheepish and sorry state……
    😳

Clink

Nick is talking about doing some BBB T's – anyone interested in kids ones?? If so let him know.

Jason
    Free Member

We really enjoyed the weekend. My 4 year old son loved everything, my 8month old daughter seemed happy nearly all the time. I won a couple of prizes, my wife won a couple of quality prizes, so we all went home happy.

It was nice to see an event trying out a new format, rather than just copying the current trend for enduro style races. I got the impression that the family element of the event worked really well, with lots of happy kids.

The venue was really good. The drinks and catering were very good and sensibly priced.

The negatives:
    The lack of an agenda was a pain, I rushed up to the arena a couple of times, only to find that events were delayed for an unknown amount of time. With me and my wife both trying to do things, while looking after two kids, it made it all really difficult. In the end we both missed events we had wanted to do.

It would have been nice to get some results from the xc race on the day, there weren't that many people taking part so it should have been fairly easy to even hand write a list. I am sure there was no need to delay the start of races until everyone had finished the previous race. The numbers weren't massive so it didn't really matter, but a downhill start straight into a bottle neck is not a great way to start an xc race.

The course was ok, ideal for an event that is trying to encourage people to ride. However it seemed to have loads of hairpin corners, something a bit more flowy would be good.

A compulsory pint at the end of each lap of the singlespeed race would help even things up a bit.

The event info pack was just a load of junk mail. An agenda and site plan in there would have been great.

It would have been nice to have more prizes for the kids. Even just a couple of sweets, or an ice cream for those taking part would be good. Although they all seemed to enjoy it anyway, even my son who managed to crash during the pedal bike race…

It would have been better to call people out by name rather than race number at the prize giving.

Other than that it was all great. Thanks for putting in the effort to run the event.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Jason, Thank you for the comments. We decided against the race timings (even though we had bespoke timing software) as we didnt know how many people were going to race before hand and we knew it would have been very tricky with loads of riders. As it was we managed OK to get teh finish orders.

This was our first ever event and we learnt alot. If it happens again it will be Bigger, better, there will be timings but above all it will be as much chaos as it was this weekend. We wanted a party first and the racing second. I think we pulled that off.

DezB
    Free Member

Well if this is the place for it, the only downside for me was the campsite: you can't have showers/facilies that far away!
    But I think you got the gist when you saw my grumpy side Sunday morning, eh Rich!

dobo
    Free Member

i really enjoyed it too, was a friendly and relaxed atmosphere, the location was excellent, camping was fun indeed, beer was great well the pure gold & pino was until we/everyone drank it all and gradually picked off the other beers.
    food and drink was reasonably priced, xc racing was fun, but preferred the short knock out xc race more on the sunday, great idea
    missed the night race due to music and beer and company
    lake jump was crazy, glad nobody got hurt
    was really nice to see people having fun

edit, i'm the first to check xc results etc but really on this occasion i wasnt at all bothered about it.
    i've been to loads of races and waited forever on the start line, these started promptly once thye got the start time right and the boards were updated when i looked or asked some one knew. timings always looked a bit optimistic but you learn
    showers were a walk but at least you had the choice
    everyone involved should be pleased about what they achieved and delivered.

soma_rich
    Free Member

My pics should now be public. Thats only half of them though!

soma_rich
    Free Member

does anyone know who this is?

He was one of THE best dancers on the stage on Saturday night!

LEGEND

soma_rich
    Free Member

Special mention to DrP 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My thoughts on the criticism:

I think there's some very good points been raised above, all well expressed and constructive. None of those things made a jot of difference to us, but I can see how they would to others.
    Rich's point about party first and race second is also bang on, but I can see how people would have enjoyed it more with a little bit more rigidity to the timetable, especially to the 'little' events like the Drag Race, Trailer Bike Race, Trackstand Comp etc. Not everyone can hang round the arena all the time to wait for them to happen, but it was those events that made the weekend for me. Fun above all else.

Now, to that end I'll stick my money where my mouth is, so to speak:
    I'll volunteer us both to help out next year rather than compete. I'll be honest I thought there were more people helping WCA and Rich out than there were, I'd paid for a ticket and I wanted to take part, and I was taken aback when I realised how few people had been involved.
    So if you want me (and Kirsty) next year, I'll take a few days off and come down and help. I can lift, carry and run around like a blue-arsed fly and Kirsty is the best orgniser I know. It's her job. We've already had a few ideas and with some feedback I'm positive a happy medium can be achieved without spending any more money.

I'd like to see BBB2010, because I had such a good time and there deserves to be at least one more.
    😀

Clink

does anyone know who this is?

That's my mate Ken! He said he enjoyed the dancing!

soma_rich
    Free Member

I meant to get him a prize but he went quite early I think 🙁

DrP again

peteimpreza

"PeterPoddy – Member
    …was the rudeboy story the one you were talking about at the start of the short track xc then Peter? If so, dish it!
    I don't think it's really my story to dish. IMO Peteimpretza or DrP should be the ones to blow the lid off it.

Suffice to say RB was in a very sheepish and sorry state……"

Well I have thought about this a lot and I think the events in the chalet in the early hours of Sunday morning should not be repeated on this forum for now.

Henceforth, I think we should refer to his shaming as RudeBoy Gate. 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Rest of my photos are up now. Click the pic

luke
    Free Member

I like RudeBoy Gate Pure Gold 😀
    Was the liquid in the corner of the room identifyed?

soma_rich
    Free Member
    goldenwonder
    Free Member

Yep, loads uploaded now, few more to come from Sunday afternoon, prize giving etc.
    Please feel free to buy as many as you like, it's all for a good cause!Just one question, how did you manage to hotlink to that pic? as it's not supposed to be possible!

willej

Great pics guys.
    PeterPoddy – would you mind if we use some of the ones of us on-stage for on our website/myspace? We'll credit/copyright line you, obviously.
    Singletrackmind – Thanks for the review :o)

DrP

Hey hey!

Awesome event planned and executed by very few people too – all your effort was appreciated!

I must say, those lake jump pics are very impressive!
    I've already purchased the photo of myself in 'tri mode!!!' and put it on display in the guest bedroom (much to MrsDrP's dismay!). Hope you sell lots of pics as it's all for a good cause.

Rich – the terrified look on my face was justified – being on the back of that thing was seriously the scariest event of the weekend – and I was the lake jump test dummy too, to put it into perspective!

DrP

peteimpreza

Great pictures Dezb!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – would you mind if we use some of the ones of us on-stage for on our website/myspace? We'll credit/copyright line you, obviously.

Yes mate, no problem. I was going to ask you if you wanted any of them anyway.
    🙂

Muke
    Free Member

Thanks for a great weekend enjoyed by the whole family. Lots of hard work obviously went into it and although it was a bit chaotic at times as has been mentioned already, it was very good for a first attempt considering how few event staff there were to run everything. I'm sure WCA and his team have learnt a lot and have a good idea what they would do differently next time, with some constructive feedback and a bit more help and support from everybody maybe things like the amount of events and timings etc etc could be improved. Thanks to Kirsty by the way for running the Saturday morning Bunnyhop/Limbo/Footdown arena, it was a good laugh.

We thought of a longest skidmark comp (skids arn't just for kids) but thought Avon Tyrrel might not of appreciated having there grass being shredded so could you please find a suitable area for next time please.

My wifes only complaint was she didn't manage to read a single page of her book and where can I get a coffee machine for the back of my van ?

Here is a link for my photos, mainly lake jump as there was no way I was trying that so had time to get the camera out. A special mention to the guy we saw working by torchlight in the lake on Friday night in just his pants building the ramp platform.

Once again thanks to everyone for making it such a great friendly weekend, the Red Arrows flypast timing was spot on and seeing the Vulcan fly over the campsite was a bonus

So looking forward to seeing everyone again next year, Go on you know you want to.

soma_rich
    Free Member

goldenwonder yes sorry I saw you tried to stop linking but that is a cracking photo, was the end of the Mk1 ramp… I wont do it again. Sorry.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Not a problem, I'm just intrigued how you've done it! any chance you can drop me an email?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Lessons Learnt

1 – Agenda. Print out an agenda and take it with us. We were running the entire event from a single copy of an email that one of the happy campers had brought with them because none of the organisers remembered to bring one.

2 – Prizes. More kids prizes. We were kind of overwhelmed with how much the kids wanted to take part and how good they were.We had a big prize pool and tried to distribute it evenly but a lot of the same adults kept appearing on the podium.

3 – Camping. Open Sunday as well as Friday. We didn't kick out anyone who wanted to stay on Sunday but wanted to be able to chill for a while without too many people around.

4 – Showers. They wanted nearly 2K for showers in the field so stop whinging DezB and learn to walk. I think what we offered was okay(ish) in that there were lots of showers which actually had hot water so unless it grows massively next year* that will probably be the same.

5 – Trails. Make them more flowy and lose some of the switchbacks. Kind of restricted by what we had but could easily lose the lab-rat tape section behind the climbing wall.

6 – Lap timing. Sod off, it is a fun event. You got told 1st, 2nd and 3rd which is good enough. We will be putting this up on the Website when we have a chance in the next week or so. General email out to everyone who bought a ticket to announce it. Between 200-250 people attended this one.

7 – Photos. Please buy official photos from these guys as all money goes the BBB and then straight to UK Youth without deductions. http://www.saundersphotography.co.uk but also please share all your photos. I may want to pinch some of your photos for publicity and will contact who ever accordingly.

8 – T-Shirts. There will be some BBB t-shirts but these will only be available to people who actually attended. We haven't had these printed up or anything yet so you can specify your sizes (S, M, L). Also will be kids t-shirts but I have no idea what size they should be, suggestions welcome. They will all cost £20 regardless and again, all profits to charity.

9. I will stop and think and write a nice email to everyone who came next weekend.

*Next year is NOT YET CONFIRMED

willej

PeterPoddy – Thanks, what should we put in a credit/copyright line? "Courtesy of PeterPoddy", "c2009 Peter Poddy" ???

Clink

Next year is NOT YET CONFIRMED

But the kids are already talking about next year! 😉

davemcc43

As has been said before, thanks very much to all involved and all your effort and clearly evident hard-work…

I don't think the ad-hoc event timing was a problem. It just added to the character of the event and I found myself coming back to the arena regularly to see what was happening…

If I had one criticism it would be that the racing prizes should have been limited to one per rider as small proportion of the riders seemed to take home most of the goodies. For example if the 1st and 2nd riders in the night race also podium'ed in the open class then the prizes for the day race should have gone to the 3rd, 4th and 5th riders.

Oh, and the Saturday night DJ seemed to be playing music for himself rather than what people kept asking for.

That minor point aside I brought 8 people with me and they all had a brilliant time. They've gone home and told their friends so all we need is another event pretty please!

Definitely without doubt one of the best biking events I've ever been to and I can say this despite being one of the primary victims of RudeBoys nighttime adventures!

Thanks Guys. You're all stars!

DAVE

soma_rich
    Free Member

Definitely without doubt one of the best biking events I've ever been to and I can say this despite being one of the primary victims of RudeBoys nighttime adventures!

Thank you Dave, The DJ was so drunk he was just playing what he wanted I had a word a few times and when Chesney Hawkes came on I nearly chinned him…..

davemcc43

The DJ was so drunk he was just playing what he wanted I had a word a few times and when Chesney Hawkes came on I nearly chinned him…..

I know the YMCA dancing boys felt the same way!

Like Pete I'd be happy to join the organising team if that would sway the likelihood of BBB-2010 occurring…

Hope you're enjoying having your life back!

DAVE

DezB
    Free Member

stop whinging DezB

"Dad. Dad. Dad!"
    "Wot?"
    "I can't sleep! I'm all itchy!"

🙄

YMCA dancing boys…

Thank f%^& I took my iPod and didn't hear that from my tent!

We had a great time WCA. If next year happens, I might actually get MrsDezb to take part!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Thanks, what should we put in a credit/copyright line? "Courtesy of PeterPoddy", "c2009 Peter Poddy" ???

LOL! Best use my real name, but I'm not precious over my photos so "Courtesy of Peter Atkin" will be fine. 😀

I like how BBB has gone from "A ONE OFF!" to "*Next year is NOT YET CONFIRMED" in about 4 days………
    😉

peteimpreza

Dave the Map has Mis Dave the Map recovered from RudeBoy Gate?

Hopefully councelling will not be required.

Tim
    Free Member

I think this year had to be a big learning curve really – and the boys did good 🙂

The only gripe i had was the cost – i dont think £40 was unreasonable for the whole weekend, but thats only if you could make the whole weekend and do all the events – and as said before it was quite easy to miss an event.

But…i think it did put a lot of people off as well – no-one knew what to expect, especially first time around. Although the alternative of paying for each event/day/night camping would be a nightmare to arrange. Not moaning as such, just trying to be helpful 🙂

I didnt quite get how the spectator ticketing worked either?

Tim

peteimpreza

'LOL! Best use my real name, but I'm not precious over my photos so "Courtesy of Peter Atkin" will be fine.'

That should read 'Mr Moose knuckle' surely?

pants
    Free Member

WCA WROTE—-Showers. They wanted nearly 2K for showers in the field so stop whinging DezB and learn to walk. I think what we offered was okay(ish) in that there were lots of showers which actually had hot water so unless it grows massively next year* that will probably be the same.

Long walk for a COLD shower!!!!!! (On Sat night) Add the AT camp site into the cost next year as an option, that will help loads and stop us moaning that there was no Showers on main camp site!!.

Adding to what davemcc43 wrote about prizes, why have Category numbers and not use them in the races as some over 35 came in the top 5 in the Whippits and Open and got nothing, so why have a category?? 18 yr olds racing against 35+ slightly unfare, if you did this may help out on the prizes going across a wider frontage, how many did Peter Poddy win!!!!LoL!!

All good stuff though!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Long walk for a COLD shower!!!!!!

Hang on a mimute: We think nothing of riding a bike all day, but complain about a short walk to a shower? Hmmmmmm. 😉

So, ride your bike there, and park said bike inside the shower block, like I did. 😀
    My shower was just warm enough considering it was a hot day. I used the portacabin ones near the big house, but there were more just past it near the chalets. And it was clean. (Until I took my bike in, anyway…)

If you'd paid £425 for the TransWales last year, you'd know what crap showers are really like!
    🙁

I won stuff for doing the fun events, not racing. I'll never win an XC race, but I've got plenty power, so I came 3rd in the sprint. And I can bunnyhop properly, so you'd have seen me clearing about 15in on flats if you'd been there. Not massive no, but enough for some bits and bobs. Pity I missed the trackstand event – Rich will tell you that in practice I was whupping some ass!!!

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 198 total)

The topic ‘Big Bike Bash, if you're not there…..’ is closed to new replies.