Bicycle commuters…how far is your commute?

• This topic has 100 replies, 92 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by  jaminb.
Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Bicycle commuters…how far is your commute?
  • Ewan

45k there and back with 400m climbing. Normally do it twice a week, sometimes three times if the weather is nice. Works moving so either the commute jumps to 60k each way (!) Or I get the train to Basingstoke to get it to 60k there and back. Probably going move a bit closer as I’ve found commuting on my bike really improves my stress level at work.

prawny

I was doing 20 miles each way until recently, 13 would be nice. Winter and distance ground me down after 3 years but I might go back to it once the clocks go forward. The train is gash.

Premier Icon cobrakai
    Subscriber

10km on the direct route, 17km on the safer route. 140m ish of climbing.

Direct route only before a 7am start when the road is quiet. All other times it’s a no no.

Either way it’s never more than 40 min. I’ve got a genesis longitude for the job.

6 days on 4 off, so depending on child care I might cycle 6 days or none.

rickcmtb

Mine is between 12-20 k depending on time of year and weather. 35-45 mins ish If it’s shocking in a morning I jump on a train. Dry weather usually 4 days a week. I ride into Manchester in mainly back roads, singletrack, river routes and towpaths in the summer. Winter, backroads and the towpath which is really good and has led lights!
    Had a few incidents and broken bits so I limit my tarmac time these days.
    It’s great when we get those hot dry days though, could keep going some times 😉

4km each way on the road, 5km each way on a riverside path that’s too muddy in winter – both totally flat. Do it as often as I can, though not when it’s raining!

Mine is a 15 mile commute in, often with a stiff headwind. About 50% of fairly cycle friendly road and 50% cyclepath/traffic free seafront.

Homeward is a miriad of options, and a gravel bike means I can go for a 25 mile offroad route home of which there are loads of options, all hilly.

I have a van (free travel to and from work) and need it at work so I put the bike in the van, and then when it fits with work/meetings, I cycle home offroad, and then cycle in the next morning.

I am spoilt as there is a shower at work and my bike can sit near my desk if I need the van space, or stay in the van, so no security worries. Due to the shower I tend to ride pretty hard, I treat the homeward leg as I would if I was already home and going out for an evening ride.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

When I manage to, 9.5km with 139m climb on the way home, on or off road.

john_l

Used to do 12 miles each way, with an hour’s train ride at each end. Got into a nice routine. But the office was next to the station at the other end, so nice an easy.

Now it’s a tube ride away so just bought a s/h Airnimal and am using that – 6-7 miles to the station, hour on the train and another 2-3 miles at the other end. Not much longer than driving and tubing.

I commute 46 miles a day, 5 days a week. Quite a lot of it is farm tracks and bridlepaths, only the last 4 miles is built-up city riding. On the way home, I can extend it from 23 to 27 miles and do almost the entire commute off-road (once I leave the city). I ride a full-sus MTB with DH tyres. Most people think I’m mad for doing all this! 🙂

Premier Icon sunday wobbler
    Subscriber

12.5 mile each way, all year round (this week has been rubbish with the wind and rain) but love it and feel really guilty/lazy if I drive to work. Lucky to have showers at work which makes it much better. Up at 5ish, leave the house before 6 and at work well before 7, takes a little bit of effort to get into the routine but do love doing it. Sometimes use the run home as a bit of interval training (although not as often as I should).

As already mentioned, decent mudguards and reasonably puncture proof tyres along with dynamo lighting and carradice SQR bag for the win. A few quid of outlay to start with but pays for itself with very limited fuel bills and car running costs.

I saw large gains when i sat back and held z2 to work for the most part keeping my night rides and weekend rides for my z3-4-5 rides.

I was pondering that the other day, ive just swapped the gearing on my old commuter bike from 32-14 (66″) to 36-20 (52″) to convert it back to a mtb, my commute is mostly flat with some sort climbs and a couple of long uphill drags but nothing run out of gears steep but enough to mean 8-10 minutes standing on the pedals constantly.

The main way I could gain fitness is to lose weight. Which would be better an extra 10minutes on the bike by doing it all at z2, or sitting at what feels like FTP as much as possible (without power meter, hrm or even speedo, just on RPE)? I suppose riding SS I’m probably naturally doing some sort of intervals anyway it’s just a case of do i gear to make the flats easy z1/2 or a harder z3 and only rest on the downs.

therevokid

8.5 each way shortest route or 18 miles each way longest route 🙂

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Most people think I’m mad for doing all this!

I bet you’re fit though !

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Mine seems to be 29-32km depending on route. Which i have been known to take the scenic version which takes it closer to 35km. Shorter route seems to have 261m climb in there. Sadly due to needing to be home for 3:30 for my boy, i very very rarely commute. However, he goes to big school in Sept so will then get his own key etc which may open up my options a bit.

Premier Icon SimonR
    Subscriber

My commute is just about 22km each way – aim to do that 3 times a week. I’ll generally take the long way home once or twice a week if the weather is nice – adds on about 10km to the ride. I can stay on quiet lanes or cycle path for about three quarters of the journey so pretty lucky there.

Aiming for 3 days seems to work for me – gives the flexibility to work round other commitments and avoid dodgy weather.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I ride a full-sus MTB with DH tyres. Most people think I’m mad for doing all this!

Why no road bike?

bartimaeus

Mine is 9 miles each way… there’s flat option but I usually go up a 75m climb for the view, for the exercise and to avoid junctions and traffic lights. I think you will find that a commute of 13 quiet flat miles will be spot on – far enough to give you a good ride but not so far that it will seem like a chore.

mrmo

last job was 16mies each way and that was 4 days a week, the current job is only 8 miles but does involve climbing to the top of the cotswolds every morning, again about 4 days a week. The fifth day is for clothing, snacks, etc. resupplying so I don’t have to carry too much in every day.

Why no road bike? Because it wouldn’t handle all the off-road sections of my commute. Plus, I don’t like road bikes! 🙂

toby1

8 miles each way, I try to do 5 days a week, although when I do a saturday morning parkrun feels like a slog.

Last 2 weeks with the wind it has been a pain in the butt for a lot of the ride, so took the bus today. I can imagine enjoying 13 each way for a few days a week, but I do ride a singlespeed so perhaps with gears 13 would be fine.

Premier Icon jaminb
    Subscriber

Minimum of 36 miles (200m of climbing) 2 or 3 times a week all weather. But it is SE so never extreme or icy. It takes the same time as public transport (when not delayed) and quicker/cheaper than driving. Best part of my working week, some road to connect gravel or tarmac through Bushey, Richmond and Hyde Park and Thames cycle path.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.