Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bib tights – pad or no pad
  • burko73

Need to get some longer bib tights as I’m sick of getting cold legs in the gap between socks and the bottom of my 3/4 bibs.

I think I’m gonna go endura ones as I currently use their bib shorts/ 3/4’s etc. Thing is what’s best? Buy tights without pad and use on top of my bib shorts or buy tights with a pad and then have another complete pair?

I’m feeling the cold at the moment and need to get prepared to keep going through the winter.

drlex
    Free Member

Leg warmers?

njee20
    Free Member

Tights without pad. Just wear over your favourite shorts. Can wear more than once if they’re not too sweaty too, without inviting crotch rot.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Without for me, my ass appreciates the insulation of shorts.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tights without pad. Just wear over your favourite shorts

^^This^^

lunge

I prefer a pad as I don’t like having any more layers than required there.
    I have some very warm full length bibs for very cold days, these in fact, which was too warm for all but the coldest of days.
    For slightly milder days, I’m a big fan of winter shorts and leg or knee warmers.

simondbarnes

I always thought unpadded tights over shorts was the best option and then I tried padded bibtights. So much nicer having fleecy lining all the way up 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

I have both and don’t really have a preference either way. I guess one advantage of no pad is its cheaper.

bob_summers

I do the shorts+tights thing sometimes out of necessity but I don’t like the doubling up of shoulder straps etc. Prefer a rotation of roubaix-backed shorts with leg/knee warmers, and padded tights, but when riding 6 out of 7 days a week in crap weather, sometimes the laundry gets the better of me.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

With a pad for me. I’ve not tried without a pad, but I’m happy with what I’ve got so I’m unlikely to change.

dovebiker

Lycra has rubbish thermal properties, so unless using an inner short made from a thermal or wicking material, I much prefer a tight with a seatpad. Two layers of fabric over the leg muscles also restricts movement. Once I’d tried a decent thermal bib tight with seatpad, my old unpadded tights got binned

JoB
    Free Member

without a pad and over shorts for me

i prefer the snugness of bb-shorts underneath, i always find there’s some unsettling ‘separation’ and then ‘meeting’ every time i get out the saddle and sit down again with padded longs

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cold as it is today I’d be in some decent thick windproof bib shorts with some unpadded roubaix longs over the top.

I have a few pairs of bibs longs with pads, nice to have the option but don’t actually use them that much, prefer shorts and unpadded longs.

onewheelgood

Without a pad and over shorts. That way you can peel off the outer layer of mud before you get in the house without alarming the neighbours.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Tights without pad. Just wear over your favourite shorts

+ another

Own both padded and unpadded.

I also like the extra warmth/windproofing of shorts underneath. Always seem to get chilled thighs when riding with padded roubaix tights.

Saying that though, I don’t like trail-running in tights without underwear either.

Yak

With pad. With windproof fronts on the coldest days and standard Roubaix on normal cold days.

I can’t stand cold legs – feels like my meagre power gets sucked away if my legs get cold.

onandon
    Free Member

For this temp, around 0 to 6 I use deep winter bibs with no pad and summer bibs underneath.
    Initially I though this would feel a bit confined but it works perfectly.

prawny

For ‘normal’ use (2-3 rides per week) I’d go tights with a pad. There’s more choice and they’re great.

For commuting unpadded makes more sense, you can wear them more than once, and you spend less time wrestling your leg into the things with your knob swinging around in the filing area.

jonba
    Free Member

For thick thermal ones I go without pad. I don’t wear baggies with them so just wear my favourite shorts underneath.

If I was going to wear baggies I’d go with pad, simply because otherwise I’d have three layers on my backside.

stevious

A vote for no pad + bibs. Mostly because it saves on washing but also because it means I get some use out of some cheap bibs that are a bit ugly to be worn uncovered.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

With pad – saves on washing

TiRed

Just get longer socks. Overknee merino work fine. Or something louder 😉

burko73

That’s a great look.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bib tights – pad or no pad’ is closed to new replies.