Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bialetti Moka Express Size Query
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Decided to give one of these a try. I want to use it to make one mug of coffee, reasonably strong but not blow your head off strength. Should I get the 2, 3 or 4 cup size? Or as a friend said buy the 6 cup and put any leftovers in the fridge for later? Also I have read some say to dilute with hot water….
    I do like a little bit of milk in my mug….. Any advice?

tomd
    Free Member

I use a 2 cup one daily. Topped up in a mug with hot water and some milk it makes a nice moderately strong cup of coffee.

IME the 3 or 4 are a bit much for one cup but you can keep some and add hot water later. Only factor is that the footprint of the 2 cup is quite small, and can require some delicate balancing on some gas hobs.

creagbhan

I have the 2 cup and use one of these on the gas hob
    Reducer

Kato

I use a 3 cup for one mug topped up with water but I like a string coffee. I also have a 6

JoB
    Free Member

andykirk

Or as a friend said buy the 6 cup and put any leftovers in the fridge for later?

ditch this friend

as others have said, smaller capacity Moka and top up with water and milk as desired, the bigger ones also really eat through your coffee

Scapegoat

but I like a string coffee.

No, no, I said it was really ropey…….

andykirk
    Free Member

Wonderful advice again Singletrack.

Thank you.

You may all now move on to help the next person in need.

CraigW
    Free Member

The small (steel) ones may not work on some induction jobs.

Could use a larger one, just put less ground coffee in it. Still works fine, even if the basket isn’t full.

dc2.0

As per CraigW – I have a small (2) and a large (8?) stainless steel bialetti mokka pot. Both used to work fine on a halogen hob. Now we have an induction hob, only the large one works.

Which means I have to make a pot every other day and keep the rest in the fridge. That works well for me as I prefer an Americano, so always top up with water anyway..

Anyone interested in a small steel pot with a brand new seal just fitted (before I discovered it didn’t work on my new induction hob..)?

PiknMix
    Free Member

For some reason I have a 12 cup, never a truer word spoken than this.

the bigger ones also really eat through your coffee

I need to downsize!

kelvin

The 2 cup really do one cup… etc… so get a 4 cup minimum, and always get stainless steel. I have a 6 cup stainless that works perfectly on induction (better than on trad electric actually).

Conversely I gave away a 12 cup… I’m not nearly sociable enough to justify owning one.

[just checked the instructions for my stainless “Elegance” pot, and it specifically says that the 2 cup does not work induction hobs]

alpin
    Free Member

I have the 2 cup and use one of these on the gas hob
    Reducer

Top tip I got from an old Italian guy in his motorhome…. Use an old brake disc. A 160mm disc with a few rivets through it to stop it moving works great….!

poolman
    Free Member

I use a 6 cup bialetti, I half fill with water and coffee its a good half mug full.

Or fill it full and put in fridge, your mate has good advice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bialetti Moka Express Size Query’ is closed to new replies.