Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • BHF South Downs Way on a CX bike … will I die or just lose my fillings?
  • sleigh62
    Free Member

I’m sure loads of people have done it in one day on a CX bike but I’m not sure my 53yr old carcass can take it.

Did it last year on a full suss … very comfy and very slow.

Any experiences out there that might help?

Jerome
    Free Member

You will be fine ish.
    I would worry about ripping tyres on flints – get something substantial and as wide as will fit e.g. landcruisers – little bit draggee but will get you round.
    My rigid old school marin eldridge is my weapon of choice for SDW.
    Take it easy on descents to save wheels/ tyres..
    Wear two pairs of gloves ..

Painey
    Free Member

I’m doing this as well, first time I’m attempting all of it in one go. You see a fair amount of CX bikes on the downs so although not my weapon of choice, you should be fine. Re the tyres, I’ve got specialized “grid” casing ones on my hardtail and still managed to tear them on the flint. Best of luck by the way!

DrP

I looked into this..but pffft at £48 to ride the SDW!

To be honest, it’ll be grim riding the 100miles on a CX bike!! I did about 30 miles a week or so ago (QECP to Storrington area) and my wrists were killing me at the end… I was grateful to drop down onto the road!

I mean, it’s clearly doable, and if a gun was held to my head I’d do it, but I really think the SDW is a bit ‘more’ than gravel/gnarcross TBH!

DrP

richardthird

Agree with DrP. Rode the pointiest bit (Eastbourne to Ditchling) last week as a tester for whether I’d ride the whole lot on the CX.

Probably not tbh. 1 day is a fair bloody ride so the Anthem again for me.

ETA Spesh Trigger 38c tubeless @ 38psi work superbly though.

Paceman
    Free Member

It’s doable on any bike, there are no technical sections that require much skill other than avoiding the slick chalk in the wet. However, it is a lot of hours in the saddle and comfort can be an issue, particularly wrists, hands, saddle etc… any of the contact points over that distance. I’d suggest a hardtail or short travel marathon full-suss would be the ideal, but that’s just my opinion (and i’m not a CX rider).

You’ll be fine i’m sure, just take some pain killers 😉

DrP

I’d suggest a hardtail or short travel marathon full-suss would be the ideal, but that’s just my opinion (and i’m not a CX rider).

I too would agree…but the Wiggle thing is a specific CX event! Drops, <40c tyres.

DrP

Paceman
    Free Member

Aaah 😉

at least you’ll have a tail wind 😀

nedrapier

I rode 35 miles from Ditchling Beacon to Cocking on my CX type bike a few weeks ago. It was unpleasant, but mainly because of the effing headwind and the single 48T ring.

That aside, it was quite comfy actually riding. Singular Peregrine on 35c cx speeds. I don’t know if it’s an especially comfy frame, but gel pads under thickish salsa grips and highish bars will have helped. There are probably bumpier sections, and if I was doing the whole thing, I’d put the 2.1 Thunder Burts on. And another ring up front.

Having drops was a godsend into the wind, I’ll say that much!

jambalaya
    Free Member

but the Wiggle thing is a specific CX event! Drops, <40c tyres.

collective misery 😐

nedrapier

DrP – if you look on that ride on Strava from the other week, you’ll see my little diversion to see if I could recognise your house from the fb pics!

I didn’t. But I can’t have been far off?

brassneck

I too would agree…but the Wiggle thing is a specific CX event! Drops, <40c tyres.

Think the OP is talking about the BHF ride, which is anything goes. If you’re comfortable riding 60 plus off road on your CX it’d be fine, but it’s a good 10 hours plus for most people (think my friend was around 13, and he is pretty fit in general) on an MTB so bear that in mind rather than speed.
    I’d go hardtail / small full suss myself for all in a day.

birdage

Done it a few times on CX bikes but like others have said it does get a bit gruelling after a while. For short sections definately my prefered option though. Going to be trying it with a Gryphon when I get time to build it up, hoping that might improve things comfort-wise.
    I’d say anything above 40mm eases the punishment considerably. +1 for Thunder Burts!

Jerome
    Free Member

Climbing is fine on CX
    Downhill get in drops and go steady
    Flat bits – push a bigger gear than you would normally and float above the saddle – zen like..
    Maybe take a spare tyre/ some tyre patch ( tape a folder to bike ), as a ripped tyre could end day..

sleigh62
    Free Member

Thanks everyone … looking at the advice above perhaps 100 on the CX is too much.

I’d love to try it but maybe start with something shorter.

Looks like it’s the full suss again then and a midnight finish!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been doing the SDW a lot for a One Way attempt on the record, done it 16 times since Nov14 and all on the CX’er.
    Have to say that if you are not used to fiding them flat out thay are a bit harsh. Thers more to riding a CX’er than some would think. You’ll need to set it up well in the first instance, try to keep it balanced.. too much weight on your wrists and you’ll be done in by West Meon, too much weight on yer arse and you’ll be packing it all in by Amberley.
    It’a all about balance and lightness of ride IMO, easily doable but if it’s all new to you this CX thing then I’d suggest fitting 40mm tyres and dropping pressures to 30-35psi.
    Anyways, it’s not a race is it 😆

sleigh62
    Free Member

I’m going to give it a trial first … I live in Swindon so if the mrs drops me off on the Ridgeway near Reading it’s about 50 miles home.

I know the Ridgeway is nowhere near as harsh as the SDW … but will give me some idea of what it’s like.

I’d like to be able to ‘ride light’ and ‘float, zen-like ‘ above the saddle … but at 13st it aint appnin 😆

It’s funny how you get into these things though … I’ve spent less and less time on my hardtail thinking … I can do that on a cx.
    That way its a completely different experience than just ‘slightly different’ than my 120mm full suss.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘BHF South Downs Way on a CX bike … will I die or just lose my fillings?’ is closed to new replies.