Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • BHF London-Brighton off-road, anyone done it?
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Is the route pretty mild, how do you get back to the start etc?

Looking for a long distance challenge to do this year and it seems to fit the bill. Just after general feedback, or suggestions for any other events really. Need to get the holiday requests in soon to guarantee I can do something this year!

Stiggy

I did the last one on a crossbike so yes, its mild with nothing technical. Mrs picked me up at the end.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I did it last year, a bit dull but I suppose that’s not the point. Most of it was on disused railway. I’ll do the south downs way one this year instead.

I live in Brighton, just caught the train up in the morning.

Here is a link to a strava record of the ride if you’re interested:
    http://www.strava.com/activities/197011928

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ratcatcher

Have not done the ride with BHF but have on several other times. It is a straight forward route to self navigate and catch a train back to London or beyond.

ajt123
    Free Member

Haven’t done the ride, have done the route. If you have semi slick tyres or a cross bike it is a good idea. A lot of flat ex railway line action, so good to be able to blast it along with lower rolling resistance.

milky1980
    Free Member

Sounds pretty good so far.

It’s more the mass-ride with new views that appeal whilst covering a good chunk of mileage that appeals rather than loads of tech. Would be on my short-travel FS with some fast tyres (don’t own a HT or a CX) for comfort.

Anything similar to consider if I can’t get the time off?

kimbers

I just printed out some maps I found of the route and went for a bimble
    I did it on my own though

Got lost a few times but made it in the end nice day out, some of its very exposed, wouldn’t want to do it on a very sunny day

Some of it does drag, especially the downs link- disused railway

https://www.facebook.com/chris.kimberley/media_set?set=a.10152234765107477.1073741843.609512476&type=3

trevron73
    Free Member

Its a great ride out , a great first long distance as only 2 notable hills , very sedate and very friendly – very popular as well ,i would do it again if i still lived down sarf!

Wally

Done it several times. It is 70 odd miles, it does take most of day, it is very well organised and friendly. i swam in the sea last year with me mate to refresh. lovely day out. Train back. Hurt the first time, go minimal with slickish tyres.

ollybus
    Free Member

Done it a couple of times on my Stumpjumper. Its a great day ride. My brother rode it on a HT with cyclocross tyres. The long middle section along the Downslink (disused railway) is a bit of a drag where you feel the need for more fitness and a faster bike!

Painey
    Free Member

Did it a couple of years ago on my full sus. I found it pretty tough going but I wasn’t very well and ended up deciding to do it anyway. After 30 miles I was feeling quite ropey but managed to complete it. As has been said, the Downs Link really drags on and gets quite boring after a while.

The climb up the Bostall at Upper Beeding was refreshing as it was the first thing for miles that made me think about what I was doing.

I’d also recommend being very early off the start line unless you like getting stuck behind a large group of people whenever they encounter anything remotely tricky, i.e. roots. Before we got to the downslink there was a lot of stopping and starting which I could rarely see the need for. It got to the point where it was quite annoying.

Great day out though and a definite sense of accomplishment at the end. Train home is a piece of cake too so I’d definitely recommend it.

Sundayjumper

This may depend on where you live 😀

bentudder

Did it last year with a friend and then rode back to Cranleigh afterwards. For various reasons, we ended up starting lateish, and there were queues or trains on some of the mildly technical or just plain narrow sections. We did a lot of overtaking on the Downs Link and practiced our dirt roadie skillz. Fish and chips, then I set off back the way I’d come on my tod. Ticked over 119.5 miles (Grrr! I wanted 120, and my GPS told me I’d got over that until I uploaded it to Strava) by the time I called it a day, which was quite satisfying. The final offroad climb / descent before Brighton was pretty enjoyable – and one of the rare genuine bits of offroad.

All in all, a great day out with lots of fun and a great atmosphere (and massive kudos to the bloke doing it on a BMX), and if you’re new to riding distance then it’s a good place to start. Depends on your level of fitness and experience, of course. I think this year I’ll probably to the SDW one, or (and if I can wangle the time off work and family duties) I’ll do the Wessex Way with friends.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ do the Wessex Ridgeway “Way” it’s 150’ish miles and a seriously good route. I did it over two days cos’ I had the time, did it mid Nov just gone.

Other than that I’ve just downloaded the GPX file for this and weather dependant intend to hack it on Saturday 😀

Painey
    Free Member

This may depend on where you live

OP did ask about getting back to the start but I see your point! Thankfully I live 10 miles from the finish so after the inevitable visit to the pub it didn’t take too long. More to the point there’s no difficulty getting bikes on trains like there is after the mass L2B ride in June.

I’m planning on doing the SDW ride this year as a bit more of a challenge.

bentudder

Ooh – Bikebuoy, do you have the details on the Ridgeway? we were looking at the one starting in Weston Super-Mare and ending in Eastbourne and splitting it over three days with a bit of judicious credit card touring.

Here’s the route I took for the L2B last year: http://www.strava.com/activities/197707298 shout if you want the .gpx or anything (although it’ll take you through two unintended detours into random fields and involve at least twenty minutes of sweary riding around in circles at Christ’s Hospital).

milky1980
    Free Member

Those pictures sell it rather well kimbers, the kind of views I was expecting.

I can easily do 40-50 miles in a day in the Beacons so from what people are saying of the terrain it should be easily achievable with a comfy saddle. The whole ‘group cameraderie’ really appeals so the pauses at bottlenecks won’t really bother me too much, but it has been noted to start early to get a cleaner run!

Seeing as I’m from Wales I would be looking at basing at either end of the ride and either using the train early in the morning or in the evening. Thinking that train in the morning while fresh (and avoiding the weekend tourists!) would be the best plan.

Time to get the holiday request in I think then book a slot, cheers for all the advice 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘BHF London-Brighton off-road, anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.