Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bfe longer fork travel advice
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Really struggling to get hold of either U-turn or dual position air lyriks for the above. Can anyone tell me their experience of the 160 solo airs on the Bfe(I presume running lots of sag helps) or are they difficult to live with unless using them for straight line gnarr stuff all the time.

banks
    Free Member

Fine, found forks without travel adjust sit in their travel more. Didn’t miss TA at all

br
    Free Member

One of my riding buddys runs normal 150 Sextor airs’ on his, seems to have no troubles.

chives
    Free Member

My mate Jon’s running 160mm Fox Van R’s on his – I thought it rode great FWIW.

dlr

I put my 160mm Devilles on my old BFe for a day of DH playing. It was ok but I felt it was a bit to much travel for a HT ie just to much change of head angle with it pivoting around the rear axle, preferred the normal setup of 120-150mm Revs. Also when i got home I noted that the TRC adjuster on the Devilles didnt clear the down tube on the 16″ BFe, glad I didnt crash!

messiah
    Free Member

I tested a BFe with 160mm Wotan’s and they were too much fork IMHO. Bottom bracket too high for good cornering and seat angle too slack for techy climbing… went doonhall in a straight line over rough stuff fine though :mrgreen:

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I ran my BFE(s) for all around riding including the Lakes and Northern Trail centres I’m 95kg with kit so at the higher end of the weight scale.

My experiences with the following:-

Coil Pikes, I found they really suited the bike.

Air Pikes, ditto, liked the travel adjust and the bike climbs really well in 120-125 range, flew down in 140 mm setting.Felt really solid, 20mm maxle nice too.

Fox Van R 160mm simple, found climbing a struggle but again great on downhills.

Sektor Solo Air 150mm,I know these are well regarded on here but for me I found them a bit dsiappointing after the Pikes as I felt they had to much flex although climbing was ok.

Marz 55 RC3Ti 160mm these were a bit of a stop gap, way OT for the bike in my opinion, came off my Orange Blood and were fun on a couple of trips to Ae and Dalbeattie but the bike/I could not climb at all with these fitted.

Marz 55R I think these are a bloomin’ bargain, 160 mm travel coil ,they are v heavy but I bought a set from ebay, model year 2012, for £149 , the bike pedals well with these, it seems to struggle less with climbing but descends nearly as well as the RC3Ti version.

Maybe have a look at the new X Fusion 160 travel with DLA, gets good reviews(tapered steerer though).

Stem length also worth thinking about I settled on 60mm after trying 40, 50 and 70mm with various fork combos!

Good luck

Richard

rob-jackson
    Free Member

scamper i have some uturn lyriks and want some air – any use?

asherh
    Free Member

Coil Pikes, I found they really suited the bike.

Air Pikes, ditto, liked the travel adjust and the bike climbs really well in 120-125 range, flew down in 140 mm setting.Felt really solid, 20mm maxle nice too.

Fox Van R 160mm simple, found climbing a struggle but again great on downhills.

Sektor Solo Air 150mm,I know these are well regarded on here but for me I found them a bit dsiappointing after the Pikes as I felt they had to much flex although climbing was ok.

Marz 55 RC3Ti 160mm these were a bit of a stop gap, way OT for the bike in my opinion, came off my Orange Blood and were fun on a couple of trips to Ae and Dalbeattie but the bike/I could not climb at all with these fitted.

Marz 55R I think these are a bloomin’ bargain, 160 mm travel coil ,they are v heavy but I bought a set from ebay, model year 2012, for £149 , the bike pedals well with these, it seems to struggle less with climbing but descends nearly as well as the RC3Ti version.

Maybe have a look at the new X Fusion 160 travel with DLA, gets good reviews(tapered steerer though).

Fetish for forks?

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Better not talk about my full suss obsession then!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Ran Lyrics on mine in the Alps a coupple of times, and it was lovely (although slow steep techy singletrack rather than flat out blast stuff).

Didn’t feel it worked very well in the UK like that, though. Just not enough steep descending to warrant the extra weight and sluggishness uphill. Pikes or Revs are a better all round answer.

Scamper
    Free Member

Thanks for all of the replies. Currently run 20mm Revs at 130, but its a case of having something different particularly for more tech stuff, and being 15 stone.

Then I read about these new X-fusion Slants at only circa £400. Ok, not up there with the Lyriks but perhaps giving a `stiffer’ all round option to the Revs?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t do it.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

scamper can you email me re revs/lyriks. I may be tempted to part with my 160mm uturn lyriks with new mission control dh damper and rebound (in excellent condition)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bfe longer fork travel advice’ is closed to new replies.