Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • beware owners of on one helmets
  • matt_outandabout

I don’t see how the clip can come off the end in use…. if the helmet is remotely the right size …???

Over time the straps seem to ‘migrate’ on many helmets. I regularly see people with the ‘join’ between front and back strap which is usually correctly sitting just below ear level, moved to under the chin. This means much more strap is used, so meaning you can get the clip having to be moved down towards the ends.

edit:

Image result for badly fitted cycle helmet straps

and

and

fotorat
    Free Member

yeah the title can be changed to

Beware riders with a learning disability

and remember there are mentally vulnerable riders out there.

Bez

All my helmets either have straps where the end is folded and stitched down (and can’t come off) or has 2-3″ of extra strap

It’s clear from the helmet on the left in the picture below that the straps don’t have folded and sewn ends. (It’s harder to determine whether the ends are melted to prevent fraying.) However, there does seem to be a decent amount of strap (a little more than the length of the chin pad) beyond the buckle, which isn’t surprising: a helmet shouldn’t be near the limit of the straps when fitted, for obvious reasons.

Referring back to the OP’s picture, note that although there are marks/deformations from the buckle* on the foreground end of the strap, there are none on the visible rear part of the strap at a similar distance from the end, which suggests that if the strap hasn’t been cut then the strap hasn’t spent a long time with the two ends of the strap close to each other. One possibility here is that over time the OP has adjusted for the natural gradual loosening of the strap by pulling on only one end of the strap, which (since the strap is just one length of webbing) will gradually see the other end migrate towards the buckle. If this happens then obviously that end of the strap will eventually slip through.

I’m not wholly convinced by that theory, but it’s a possibility.

* or from the OP’s four equidistant and parallel sweat glands

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevextc
    Free Member

I’m not wholly convinced by that theory, but it’s a possibility.

I’m not wholly convinced either (except that sweat won’t rot nylon)… but that is a long way from suggesting the OP has learning difficulties.

I had to take my car in last week due to some juddering.  Based on the heat given of the disks on one wheel I figured the caliper was sticking… but I told the garage that was just my non-expert PoV… and what the symptoms were…

In this case the garage did an inspection and agreed… had I been wrong then being called a retard would seem a bit strong and my observations I passed on still valid! As it happens it wasn’t the side I remembered … but the garage took my observations… figured I might be mixed up between sides (as I told them I’d just quickly checked in the services)

There could (for example – I don’t know that much about car brakes)… have been a vacuum in the hose or something… or just wheel balance … ???  I dunno cos I’m not an expert… I just ventured an opinion…

In the same way … so the OP doesn’t know nylon and sweat are OK …it doesn’t invalidate their observations… or deserve being described as mentally challenged.

Like my cheap SDCAM accessories, I’d reckon that checking clips are not sharp isn’t a bad thing to do on a ‘cheap copy’ helmet.  It wouldn’t stop me buying one … but I would (like the SD cam but more cos it’s protecting my head) check that there wasn’t a QA issue…

Like I say… I’m not convinced either but I’m not about to go about calling someone a retard (or whatever equivalent) based on their lack of knowledge of materials science.

funkmasterp

I’m not wholly convinced either (except that sweat won’t rot nylon)…

OP earlier today……

theotherjonv

While i think the retard jibe was totally uncalled for, i think the issue comes when your first port of call is to go on a prominent website and slag off the supplier.

I know there is a lack of love for On-One nowadays (and certain individuals were all too happy to jump on it again) but if you start shouting what looks to be misleading stuff, expect to be called on it.

If the original had been – ‘I think the sweat pad’s a duff idea as it seems to have caused my strap to rot through’ the answers might have been equally corrective, but far less rude (or TBF, humorous)

DickBarton

I regularly see people with the ‘join’ between front and back strap which is usually correctly sitting just below ear level, moved to under the chin. This means much more strap is used,

Nope, just means the bit below your ear has slipped down the straps, doesn’t mean more or less straps are used.

Bez

I’m not convinced either but I’m not about to go about calling someone a retard

Of course.

I’ve absolutely no idea why you repeatedly refer to my post. I’ve said none of the things you (quite rightly) object to.

theotherjonv

Nope, just means the bit below your ear has slipped down the straps, doesn’t mean more or less straps are used.

Actually, it does. It’s not a huge amount and in fact the further down the join goes, the effective length to buckle becomes longer (or uses less strap for the same length), but it does make a difference. Do trigonometry or just get some string and try it.

Also, if over time the female end of the harness has moved over to be a longer strap, that will cause the spare at the male end to reduce. Again, unless the straps are already very short unlikely to be substantial.

stevextc
    Free Member

While i think the retard jibe was totally uncalled for, i think the issue comes when your first port of call is to go on a prominent website and slag off the supplier.

I know there is a lack of love for On-One nowadays (and certain individuals were all too happy to jump on it again) but if you start shouting what looks to be misleading stuff, expect to be called on it.

TBH, I’ve had some pretty good deals from on-one…. (or Planet X or…) but TBH, where-else but the internet do you complain about stuff like that, perceived or not?

There is jumping on it and jumping on a bandwagon!

I’ve had a few internet buy’s where you get pushed into writing a review that you then can’t change… I learned not to do it… but where I’ve been happy with something initially then found it to be crap…

Caveat emptor but equally caveat venditor  … and whilst I’m doing fancy latin crap … qui custodiet ipsos custodes.

Bez

Actually, it does. It’s not a huge amount and in fact the further down the join goes, the effective length to buckle becomes longer (or uses less strap for the same length), but it does make a difference. Do trigonometry or just get some string and try it.

Correct. Which is why that part always gradually slips down with use rather than up.

Bez

where-else but the internet do you complain about stuff like that, perceived or not?

Email On-One in the first instance…?

As I noted before, given that the OP believes he’s had a catastrophic failure of a safety device, I find it odd to deal with that by putting an alarmist post on a forum with a single tightly cropped photo that doesn’t appear to support the claim, and then binning the item. If I had a helmet fail unreasonably, I’d (a) send it back and claim a refund under the Sale of Goods Act and (b) want it to be inspected so that if there is either a quality control or design flaw, it can be rectified before someone ends up throwing their head at a rock just as their helmet disintegrates.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve absolutely no idea why you repeatedly refer to my post. I’ve said none of the things you (quite rightly) object to.

Lets not get into the New Forum and quotes 😀

I’m not, we might disagree on some things but you are not jumping on the retard bandwagon…

I’m just quoting your “not entirely convinced” because I agree with that …  the rest is why I think that others calling the OP a retard is out of order.

fotorat
    Free Member

Can we get the OP to do an IQ test to take this comedy to the next level…….

Shall we start the bidding at my embarrasing 129

Bez

Laughing at mental incapacity is next-level comedy? What level are you on at the moment? Is it the one where you pull your own finger?

nealglover
    Free Member

I had to take my car in last week due to some juddering. …. etc

Another cool story.

I presume though, that you didn’t immediately scrap your car and walk away without trying to find out what the issue was?

then go out and buy another car that was 4 or 5 x more expensive and presume that would fix the “problem” you had with the other car. ?

No ?

plus-one

I went onto On one  website to look at the helmets and my head fell off !! Not to worry I hadn’t done my buckles up correctly .. All good now 🙂

Kahurangi

Posted by stevextc

… the rest is why I think that others calling the OP a retard

Do a ctrl+f and search the thread. You are the only person who has referred to the OP as a retard.

theotherjonv

fairs fair; someone definitely did but I think the post has been edited or deleted (mods?)

I definitely didn’t imagine it. I’m not that big a m..

(nope, don’t go there)

stevextc
    Free Member

Another cool story.

I presume though, that you didn’t immediately scrap your car and walk away without trying to find out what the issue was?

then go out and buy another car that was 4 or 5 x more expensive and presume that would fix the “problem” you had with the other car. ?

No ?

<div class=”singl-forum-replies-3″>No because my car is worth a lot less than a bike but a lot more than a helmet….</div>
    <div>Its more like the £30 action vid cam I just bought (except half the price) …</div>
    <div>Or to be more focussed… it’s why I had a genuine replacement caliper and new genuine pad fitted… and didn’t just try and botch it myself…. £100 for a new caliper and pad… vs time and effort trying to free the old one up… and live with the flaky pad… ?? (To be honest I could probably have got away with it.. its a rear brake… but easier to pay for a new one and chalk it down to experience…</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>I agree a bit with Bez though as this is a fairly safety critical bit of kit… but that said it’s a £15 safety critical bit of kit… so perhaps worth an email… ??</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>That said I got 4 sets of pads from OnOne (or Planet X)…. 2 sets worked fine… if not as good as genuine… 3rd set just never bedded in… They cost about £2 a set and made up the free delivery so the 3rd set just went in the bin… I could have messed but ???  4th set is still in my toolbox… I’ll try them sometime… if they bed in then fine.. if not they will go in the bin as well.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Much as it may be the exact same shell as the Fox it doesn’t mean the fastenings are…</div>
    <div>Like a lot of cheap stuff… the main part of a product may be good but the peripheral parts are where they may have saved money…..</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>If I didn’t have more helmets than I can use I’d buy one to keep in the car … but I would check the fastener and if necessary file/sand down sharp edges if I found it to have any…</div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>

stevextc
    Free Member

Bez…. ^  That’s why I didn’t try fancy quotes 😀

franksinatra

I’ve just been on the On-One website and bought a new helmet. Bargains, thanks for the PSA.

stevextc
    Free Member

Do a ctrl+f and search the thread. You are the only person who has referred to the OP as a retard.

As the post below your’s says.(it may have been edited we both didn’t imagine it)… not to mention the exact word is somewhat immaterial unless you are aged 8…

Regardless of calling someone a retard or suggesting they have learning difficulties… or any of 20 other ways to suggest the same thing.

nealglover
    Free Member

but that said it’s a £15 safety critical bit of kit… so perhaps worth an email… ??

Indeed, and failing that, I’m sure someone would would have been able to talk him through threading the buckle back onto the undamaged straps over the phone too 👍

stevextc
    Free Member

Indeed, and failing that, I’m sure someone would would have been able to talk him through threading the buckle back onto the undamaged straps over the phone too

The straps are obviously damaged… whether they are just frayed or snapped is another story…

Non of my helmets have frayed ends like that… and the only time the fastener has ever come off has been whilst I’m messing about adjusting them….

Moreover, I’d hope OnOne would have more regard to safety than dismissing this as user error… which it may or may not be.

nealglover
    Free Member

Non of my helmets have frayed ends like that…

You seem keen on using your numerous helmets as an example.

So, have any of your helmets ever suffered a rotten nylon strap, or had a strap cut perfectly cleanly by a plastic buckle (and the bit that’s been cut off disappear without trace) ?

(No stories about cameras or cars or toaster or wardrobes. Let’s stick to your helmet collection)

sirromj

Damn biscuit just fell in my tea. Won’t be buying Happy Shopper bourbons again that’s for sure.

nealglover
    Free Member

Was the biscuit sliced neatly in half by the steam rising gently off the tea?

If so it was probably rotted through in the packet by the collective career disappointments of the happy shopper staff 👍

funkmasterp

Moreover, I’d hope OnOne would have more regard to safety than dismissing this as user error…

Alas they won’t even have chance to display their top notch / piss poor (delete as applicable) customer service as OP binned the helmet.

Actually OP, have you checked that the bin is still in one piece? The strap may just have been the opening chapter in a helmet samurai epic.

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

I have the same helmet.
    and the Enduro, and a carnac helmet (I like a bargain).

I am a little confused from OPs post – I’d assume – if something had “rotted” through and broken the straps – that the photo would show the rest of the strap that had become detached?

On the female side of the clip – the straps are just folder over and through and it does LOOK like the strap has just worked its way lose? not ideal, though not happened to me, but unfortunately – without further proof from the OP – this thread is a bit scaremongery and should probably just be closed so to stop any more random insults/false accusations?

**EDIT**
    Also – it looks like there is still a fair amount of strapping given you can’t see the helmet? are you sure it doesn’t fit now? the ends there do LOOK like the heated ends that have frayed….?

ransos
    Free Member

The OP has played a blinder.

docgeoffyjones

How are everyone’s hollow tech cranks holding up?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You know, mostly I come to the forum these days for entertainment, and this thread is a gift the just keeps giving. The bell-endery on display is truly epic.

I thank you OP for setting it up so masterfully.

Gunz
    Free Member

Why does the white helmet above have a spoiler?  It looks like a Clio after a trip to Halfords.

movingslowly
    Free Member

Favourite thread for ages, pure comedy, thanks.

philjunior
    Free Member

This has been a good thread to watch. I can’t really see how the straps migrating could make it so the buckle was too tight if the ends were threaded through, but then again I can’t see any evidence of anything but slightly frayed ends in the OP’s post!

I sort of want the OP to come back with another piece of nylon strap that has in fact been cut off by the buckle!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, are these Enduro/XC helmets a good shape for round heads or oval heads?

Bez

are these Enduro/XC helmets a good shape for round heads or oval heads?

They’re good for people with very small chins 🙂

stevextc
    Free Member

No stories about cameras or cars or toaster or wardrobes. Let’s stick to your helmet collection

My helmet collection is reasonably premium…. which isn’t to say I haven’t considered the OnOne helmets and had them in a shopping basket a few times…

So, have any of your helmets ever suffered a rotten nylon strap, or had a strap cut perfectly cleanly by a plastic buckle (and the bit that’s been cut off disappear without trace) ?

Non of my more premium helmets even have a frayed edge… ???  But what has that got to do with the price of bacon?  One the face of it that would suggest that they are actually better finished and have better quality control and assurance ??

In other areas of life however I have a mix of “premium” and “cheap copies” and budget…

90% of the time the main cheap copy/budget item is fine … but the bits around the main item are what lets it down if you are unlucky.  Cast plastic mouldings on some fastener or other just seem to be the most common item, or perhaps it’s zips ???

or had a strap cut perfectly cleanly by a plastic buckle

Yes but on a belt… which is why I’m unconvinced either way….

The inside of the clip was a sharp edge… probably a lot sharper before the thousands of small sawing actions wore it down… another model of the same belt (came with trousers) just snapped in the cold*.. when I compare this buckle to one on another make the buckle itself feels hard and brittle.. Both belts are replaced … but when I did go look at the reviews it seems a fairly common problem with the belt… The trousers themselves are great though… did I take expensive pictures? complain to the manufacturer?  Nope but I did add an extra comment to many others about the belt failing and a source of a better one.

I’m pretty sure that sweat won’t rot nylon but I don’t see any claim by on-one about what the strap is made of?

Either way I don’t see why lack of knowledge of materials science should render someone an idiot or anything strange in chucking away a cheap £15 helmet because the strap failed… even if it just worked loose it’s a £15 helmet… if the strap keeps slipping I’ll just write it off.

Let’s stick to your helmet collection

So I have a Bell 3R… a fairly expensive helmet and one of the ear adjusters is forever coming open…

It’s really quite annoying…

*given the nature of the fleece lined trousers it came with surviving cold would be an important design consideration.

cocomo
    Free Member

Ah threads like these are why my partner refers to STW as Dadsnet.

Good work everyone

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘beware owners of on one helmets’ is closed to new replies.