Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • beware owners of on one helmets
  • cheekyboy
    Free Member

Looks like sabotage ………you been shagging out of watch ?

DezB
    Free Member

the OP also said that his sweat had “rotted” a nylon strap

Wait til he sees what it’s done to the EPS !

mrjmt
    Free Member

This thread reminds me of the STW of old.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

A) i am quite capable of adjusting a strap .

B) I suggested it had rotted, because the only difference between this helmet and other helmets i have owned was the chin guard which was acting like a sweat sponge and the straps were soaking wet.

C) Bez – the so called creases are sweat and dirt marks, so you owe me a fiver.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Wait til he sees what it’s done to the EPS !

You mean absolutely nothing?

cynic-al
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>bobgarrod
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

</div>

Your evidence suggests otherwise!

Bez

Well, you’re the first person I’ve come across who sweats in equidistant parallel lines.

They appear just as indentations from the buckle normally do: you can see how the weave of the mesh curves differently.

wwaswas

Where are the bits that have come off? There will be two separate straps so they’ll both have ‘ends’ on them?

Drac

Bez – the so called creases are sweat and dirt marks, so you owe me a fiver.

Funny how it didn’t rot if that’s the case.

taxi25
    Free Member

Dig it out of the bin OP. Take a photo of the complete helmet straps and all. Only way to tell whats going on and to vindicate your self 👍

lister

This is amazing. Why can’t he put the buckle back on the straps?

I can’t work out what he thinks is wrong.

The only thing I wonder is if the adjustable buckle where the front and back straps join, usually at the ear, has moved and shortened the straps in a weird way?

nealglover
    Free Member

B) I suggested it had rotted, because the only difference between this helmet and other helmets i have owned was the chin guard which was acting like a sweat sponge and the straps were soaking wet.

A) You’ve thrown away a perfectly good helmet

B) You’ve thrown away a perfectly good helmet

C) You’ve thrown away a perfectly good helmet

😂👍

(edit- if you manage to get the fiver off Bez though, your a third of the way to replacing the perfectly good helmet you threw away 🤪)

Harry_the_Spider

My lawn has died and I own an On One.

The bastards.

stevextc
    Free Member

This is amazing. Why can’t he put the buckle back on the straps?

I can’t work out what he thinks is wrong.

According to the OP (who is the only one to have seen and touched the helmet) the strap snapped at the joint with the buckle..

Bez

Maybe we’re all getting this all wrong. Re-reading the thread title in the context of the thread, maybe the OP is imploring us to be wary of people who own On-One helmets 🙂

MrSparkle

One in particular.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I’ve an old helmet strap that’s been supporting my rotary washing line for 3 years, come rain, come shine. Apart from fading somewhat, it’s still robust and functional. Maybe we need more acid rain for a proper comparison, but that strap has either been cut by a loony or maybe pulled through (same strap does both sides of helmet clip on my Giro lid)

funkmasterp

Please get the helmet out of the bin OP and post pictures of it up on here?

steezysix
    Free Member

Please get the helmet out of the bin OP and post pictures of it up on here?

Just be careful you don’t cut your hand on the buckle…

theotherjonv

My lawn has died

Are you sure it didn’t get wet and the grass accidentally got cut off by a buckle?

bigjim

thread title was quite prophetic

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Glad I saw this thread, reminds me i have 2 on-one helmets sitting in my basket that i never got round to ordering.

funkmasterp

Don’t do it davey! Have you learned nothing of the dangerous world of nylon and plastic from reading this thread. On your head be it (if the straps don’t break).

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I’ve just been out to check my Saris Bones bike rack as it uses nylon straps and god forbid steel buckles but thankfully absolutely no evidence of wear. I think I’ll take a punt on those lids for that price.

ads678

Yeah but you probably don’t sweat much on your bike rack, and it’s the sweat that rots the straps!

DickBarton

I’d like to nominate this as a Sticky thread so that when the English school holidays start, the kids can see how best to behave on this forum…this is classic school kids on holidays material!

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Ah ok i get it. Thing is it’s been on the car since last summer and through the winter it got caked in road salt regularly but maybe thats different. Thing is nylon is a pretty hardy material that’s why they use it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

and it’s the sweat that rots the straps!

No. It really doesn’t.

Bez

Check your irony detector 😉

matt_outandabout

Has the OP been back – or will this be like the incessant snow thread…

ads678

No. It really doesn’t.

I knew i should have added a 😉

Bez

Has the OP been back

I was assuming he’s been trying to get online to respond but his mouse has sliced through his broadband cable.

theotherjonv

I was assuming he’s been trying to get online to respond but his mouse has sliced through his broadband cable.

Fortunately my keyboard is wireless, otherwise the tea i just spat on it would have rotted through the connection and I wouldn’t be able to congratulate Bez on this response.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve just been out to check my Saris Bones bike rack as it uses nylon straps and god forbid steel buckles but thankfully absolutely no evidence of wear. I think I’ll take a punt on those lids for that price.

Steel or plastic shouldn’t really make any difference, both are harder than nylon.

From the photo’s I don’t see how anyone can say what happened… except that it’s not sweat but that doesn’t mean the straps didn’t get cut over time by a sharp edge to the clip…

I’ve no idea what the differences are between the same shell from Fox and the same shell from on-one or anyone else.. but assuming the helmet is the same shell I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the cheaper copies used cheaper plastic clips and that some might just have sharp edges from the moulding.

As a parallel….

I just picked up one of the SJ CAM’s from Amazon… at £30 the stuff that comes with it would cost more if it was genuine GoPro… but the plastic mouldings and such are of far inferior quality and QA.  There is a cute little clip/stand with inserts for a tripod adapter top and bottom… the top one is a bit unusable as you then can’t get to the buttons and the bottom one hasn’t been threaded properly… but been inserted anyway.  The actual part SDCAM make (the camera) is excellent for the price… however the screws don’t work as well, the non waterproof clip has an issue etc. otherwise its probably better than a GoProX (whatever old version that is) except the peripheral/extra bits

Of course the dodgy screws and missing thread are not protecting my head…

I’m sure if you bought 100 out of those you’d find similar QA issues in way more than official but 10x the price GoPro… so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same with helmet “additions”….

nealglover
    Free Member

From the photo’s I don’t see how anyone can say what happened…

I’d say it’s fairly obvious.

The clip came off the end of the strap, which had frayed a bit, leading the op to believe something catastrophic had happened, and he jerked his knee all the way to the bin and then to the keyboard.

Sadly it was bin day, so he couldn’t get his perfectly good helmet back.

And its even more obvious what didn’t happen. (All the stuff the op said had happened)

cookeaa

OP, was there a little rubber O-ring anywhere when your strap and buckle separated?

There’s normally one fitted these days on most lids as a measure to help stop the straps loosening…

Bez

Steel or plastic shouldn’t really make any difference, both are harder than nylon.

Although it’s highly likely that the buckle is nylon 🙂

(Different forms, of course. The webbing fibres will have a hardness of around 30D and the buckle around 80D.)

matt_outandabout

The OP also forgot other solutions are available:

stevextc
    Free Member

I’d say it’s fairly obvious.

The clip came off the end of the strap, which had frayed a bit, leading the op to believe something catastrophic had happened, and he jerked his knee all the way to the bin and then to the keyboard.

I don’t see how the clip can come off the end in use…. if the helmet is remotely the right size …???

All my helmets either have straps where the end is folded and stitched down (and can’t come off) or has 2-3″ of extra strap .. with the ear parts adjusted … even when I wear a helmet a bit too small (I once packed the kids helmet which I can just squeeze into at maximum adjustment) there is so much strap it can’t come off in actual use (as opposed to playing out with the helmet off).

nealglover
    Free Member

All my helmets either have straps where the end is folded and stitched down (and can’t come off) or has 2-3″ of extra strap

Cool story. Was this one of your helmets ?

(If it was, it’s in the bin now) 😂👍

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘beware owners of on one helmets’ is closed to new replies.