Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • beware owners of on one helmets
  • bobgarrod
    Free Member

I know the motto buy cheap buy twice. Purchased one of the on one xc helmets (the fox flux rip offs) a couple of years ago. Don’t wear it much – only when it’s hot as it’s nice and light and well vented. So today the helmet strap just parted near the tongue of tongue and buckle. The helmet comes with a velcro chin guard that raps round this part of the strap and is a sweat sponge which leads to the actual strap rotting away. So check your strap and ditch the chin guard.

What inexpensive well vented helmet for summer ?

cp
    dirkpitt74

Surely that’s not just limited to the On-One though is it?

Any chin strap that’s soaked in sweat will rot at some point.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Take a close look at that strap. You’ll see no evidence of rotting.

That strap has been cut by the sharp moulding plastic of the buckle.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I wonder if people will be making excuses for OO’s horrific quality control with these helmets the same way they did for the frames?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Never seen anything like that and I’m not shy of sweating a bit

bobgarrod
    Free Member

@scienceofficer – never had a strap break on any other helmet – the only difference between all my previous helmets and this one was the velcro chin guard. I presume the sweat weakened it enough for the buckle to do it’s work.

@dirkpitt74
    – never had any other helmet fail at the strap ever.

joebristol

I mean that is cheap – you could buy 1 a year and always have a nice fresh helmet.

otsdr
    Free Member

I don’t think nylon rots, and most likely this end of the chin strap had two loose ends from the beginning. As can be seen in other images of the helmet, it is the other side of the buckle that has the strap looping through it.

In short, nothing broke; just burn/melt the ends a bit to stop further fraying and feed them both them through the buckle. Good as new!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah that is cut not rotted, I’d be sending the pics to on one right now as a PSA really

P20

Next door neighbour has the enduro helmet. The stitching has failed at the helmet (anchor point)end.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had compression straps cut through with Thier buckles like that.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

@otsdr – you are correct – there are two loose ends where you adjust the fit of the strap. However part of one of the straps has sheared off because the helmet no longer fits – the straps are now not long enough -though they were fine when i set off. The failure happened when i was cycling and i didn’t notice that part of the strap had sheared of. I was lucky to find the tongue. One of the straps is now considerably shorter than the other which doesnt show so well on the photo. Sorry for any confusion.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m not sure sure I understand?

Isnt that just the ends of the straps being a bit frayed? Melt with a bit of heat and it’s sorted?

cynic-al
    Free Member

part of one of the straps has sheared off because the helmet no longer fits

I can’t understand this. It makes no sense.

Are you saying there is nothing wrong with the helmet?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Got 3 PX/O-O helmets, all seeing pretty good usage. No issues with straps – just checked them all, just in case xD

Maybe, you just get dodgy one?

Cheers!

I.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Are you saying there is nothing wrong with the helmet?

As I read it one of the straps has been cut through by the buckle. The helmet is no longer usable as there is not enough strap left to fit the buckle in the correct position.

Stoner
    Free Member

surely what’s happened there is that the two fabric straps from the front and back of one side have come out of the adjustable buckle?

The female part of the buckle looks fixed length, the male part has has both staps through and back and the chin sleeve is there just to stop the straps flapping and chaffing your throat.

That’s perfectly normal. you havent kept an eye on the straps as they do have a tendency to wander on any helmet, or you’ve got them too long.

in fact here’s a Giro and a Cratoni from the shed with exactly the same design.

Have you owned a helmet before? or indeed all the others so quick to flame before thinking things through…

funkmasterp

I bought one of the Carnac helmets from On One last week. It burned down my shed, beat up Mrs F and turned Funk Jr and Funkette in to criminals. I’ll be penning a sternly worded letter to On One about this I can tell you. Not even worn it yet and it’s pretty much ruined my life!

nealglover
    Free Member

Just looked at mine, and I’m now convinced there is nothing wrong with yours.

Adjust the straps and thread them back through the buckle. Cig lighter or candle on the ends to stop them fraying and you’re done.

Mans in future, try not to overreact when the buckle slides off the end of your helmet straps 😂👍

nastybobby
    Free Member

@funkmasterp Can I buy your helmet please? Sounds like the ideal early Xmas present for my daughter’s boyfriend.😉

cookeaa

I’m still not sure I understand the OP’s issue?

Has a strap snapped or been cut through, or simply slipped out of the buckle?

bobgarrod
    Free Member

@Neal Glover To clarify – part of the strap has sheared off where it goes through the buckle. Because part of the strap has sheared off the strap cannot be fastened. The strap is no longer long enough to fit unless i saw several inches off my chin. @rubber buccaneer has got it. I’ve binned the helmet as it no longer fits. As it sheared off with no warning that,s why i posted.

jimplops

Not defending anyone here, but when the Bontrager Rally came out I bought one I’d tried it on in the shop, got it home and thats when I noticed that the chin strap hadn’t actually been attached to the plastic divider below the ear, so even the really big companies have crappy QC, and still haven’t heard back from Trek, but Evans sorted it straight away.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Just thought it a bit off that part of the strap should shear off where it went through the buckle. Binned it now as it no longer fits and even if it did my trust in it is not very high. Up till today it’s been fine. I noticed on ebay that a chinese company BAT Fox have bought out a knockoff of the new fox flux so now doubt that will appear on on one one day as their current offerings are homages to the original fox flux (XC) and Enduro (POC) Decided my head is worth more than £14.99 so ordered a Specialized Ambush comp that i can pick up on wednesday.

Bez

So to support the claim of a plastic buckle cutting cleanly through nylon webbing* we get one photo that’s at best completely inconclusive and then the item is binned? No more photos, no sending it to the supplier for inspection of this critical and extremely unusual alleged safety flaw?

🤔

* or the original claim of nylon rotting prior to someone gifting the OP a less obviously bogus explanation

Bez

By the way, you can see the creases where the buckle was originally located on the strap. There are two pairs of them, respectively about an inch and two inches from the end of the strap nearest the camera. Conversely, there is no creasing at the ends of the straps where the buckle is alleged to have cut the strap. For a cut to have been made, it would have to be where the strap passed over a sharp edge on the buckle, and there would be creasing as a result. Additionally a cut would normally need a decent amount of tension in the strap, but there’s no evidence of tearing or similar: the ends are both perfectly square.

So if you ask me, all the evidence in that photo points to a buckle that’s slipped off the end of straps; the only manufacturing “flaw” I’m seeing is that the straps appear to have been left as a raw cut rather than melted.

I’d fish it out of the bin and have another go at reassembling it. But if you don’t fancy that, fish it out of the bin and try cutting that nylon webbing with a kitchen knife and, once you’ve had a go at that, have a think about whether the plastic buckle would get through it, let alone do the clean, squared-off job you think it has…

DickBarton

Obviously completely up to the op what they do, but afraid I’m in agreement with the doubters – the ‘cut’ looks far to clean, if it had cut I’d expect a far more frayed end to the strap, it looks far too clean. I’d suggest the straps need readjusting. How is the strap fitted? Is it a single piece or multiple straps?

Personally, I’d ditch the chin wrap, that would just annoy me as it got soggy.

Stoner
    Free Member

Just thought it a bit off that part of the strap should shear off where it went through the buckle. Binned it now as it no longer fits and even if it did my trust in it is not very high.

for pity’s sake what is wrong with you?

There is nothing that has sheared. Nothing has rotted. Nothing has failed here except your ability to adult properly.

You’ve junked a perfectly good helmet because you cant re-fit a buckle to straps?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Stoner is right. There’s nothing broken there. The buckle has just come off the end of the two webbing straps. Both straps should pass through the buckle, laying flat together.

Mowgli
    Free Member

for pity’s sake what is wrong with you?

There is nothing that has sheared. Nothing has rotted. Nothing has failed here except your ability to adult properly.

😀

I got a similar lid from PX. Came looking a bit like that. I trimmed the (excessively long) webbing tails with a hot knife and threw away the velcro pad.

wwaswas

and another poster with a ‘not really a problem’ problem returns to the classifieds pages.

natrix
    Free Member

The buckle has just come off the end of the two webbing straps.

But OP says that strap is now too short (unless he cuts part of his chin off – which admittidly does have some comedy value)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Certainly nothing looks wrong, except statements like “it no longer fits” – has it changed size?

This is almost as good as crack/sticker-gate 🙂

Bez

But OP says that strap is now too short

Ive got a crisp fiver that says the OP just hasn’t put it back together properly 😉

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I was lucky to find the tongue.

Which bit do you mean? The half a clip that, [as it broke] whilst riding, would have been inserted in the other half a clip so a doddle to find or is there some other bit I’m not envisaging?

superfli
    Free Member

Possibly OP is putting helmet on back to front, hence why it no longer fits

theotherjonv

The OP mulling over why his helmet no longer fits

plyphon
    Free Member

To be fair £15 is an absolute bargain, might get one myself.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered one. Look good for the price 👍

But OP says that strap is now too short

the OP also said that his sweat had “rotted” a nylon strap (a strap is clearly not rotted)

And that a plastic buckle had “sheared through” a piece of nylon webbing (that you would struggle to cut cleanly with a decent pair of scissors)

So im just ignoring the rest of it.

The buckle came off the end of the straps, and just needed re threading.

The OP has binned a perfectly funtioning helmet due to not understanding how things work

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘beware owners of on one helmets’ is closed to new replies.