Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Better value all round hardtail than OnOne Scandal GX?
  • hopefiendboy

Hi all

Following the break in/theft, I’m looking at replacing the hardtail with a good value all rounder. From what I can see, the 29er On One Scandal GX in large with the 35 forks looks to be pretty decent value with the 15% discount taken into account (1050) and can be paid up over time too.

Are there any others that you have seen about that I should consider?

Cheers 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I haven’t looked very far but to be honest I doubt if you’ll find much better value than on the Planet X page.
    I’m impressed with my Free Ranger. Apart from the stupid handlebar shape, maybe I should’ve bought a Whippet.

hopefiendboy

Thats the other option, get a gravel bike, but tbh I think that the tyre size/volume would be too limiting for me if I want to enjoy the offroad.

Whippet also looks good too, not sold on a rigid carbon front end tho…but you never know….

easily
    Free Member

The Whippet kind of is a gravel bike – a flat bar gravel.

I’ve had mine six months and I’m still happy. I switched the tyres for something that rolls better than the Rubans it came with, but can’t see the need to change anything else.
    When my other bike was out of action I commuted 14km each way for a couple of weeks. It wasn’t much slower and it was more fun on the way home.

jonba
    Free Member

Vitus Sentier at wiggle
    Sonder Dial or transmitter from Alpkit
    Grand Canyon or stoich from Canyon.

If they have them in stock. You will have to decide on the geometry. Some of those are new long slack things and some more traditional.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it possible to pay a bit more for a better fork? The 35 has a pretty poor reputation.

zippykona

Plus one for the Whippet.
    Mine has gravel wheels,29 wheels and 27.5 plus wheels.
    Whichever wheels it has on , I love it.

intheborders
    Free Member

Is it possible to pay a bit more for a better fork? The 35 has a pretty poor reputation.

Stiff, light, cheap.

Pick 2 – stiff and cheap

TBH the only reason mine’s not got the 35 on is that I’d an unused XFusion McQueen, but I rode it with the 35 for a month, and it worked well.

I just want to know what ‘intelligent aluminium’ is

dove1

It’s the grade up from ‘above average aluminium’ and far superior to ‘not very clever at all aluminium’.

richmtb

Most important is how it rides. I really like my Scandal it’s probably the nicest riding hardtail I’ve owned. The geometry is spot on and the frame has a bit of give in it without ever feeling noodly

I’ve got a old MoCo 32mm Revelation on mine and it rides great, I imagine a RockShox 35 will be fine and I think you can upgrade the damper later if you want.

b33k34

I was going to suggest the Ragley Big Al – keenly priced, good looking and I’ve been very impressed with how it rides. But it looks like the geometry is nigh on identical to the Scandal…

CRC seem to be out of complete bikes (but you might find one somewhere else) BUT they do have the frames in stock. At the moment it seems a lot of complete bikes cost more than the component parts so you might well get a better bike building it yourself and trying to pick up whatever’s on sale. (if that’s an option financially)

plus-one

Scandal is a great bike(worth upgrading to better bits over time) frame is sorted !!

ampthill

I really can’t see anything getting near it for that money. My son has one. Before we bought it I started this thread

Can we have a whats the new scandal like to ride thread?

hopefiendboy

Sounds like the scandal is a winner tbh. Sizing wize, I’m 175 with 34 in inside legs and monkey arms…size medium or large? Hmmm

intheborders
    Free Member

Go large.

I’m 190cm, and longer in the leg but with ‘regular’ arms. I get a 200mm dropper in my large with about 75mm of post still showing.

gurnster75
    Free Member

Do you own a pair of Cuban heels?

PX have 2 GX spec’d Whippets in XL for £800 ready for same day dispatch.

Alternatively other sizes are available with SX for £800 or GX for £1000.

nickc

I’m averagely proportioned 178cm tall, and the large is just a smidge too big for me

damascus
    Free Member

Go large.

I’m 190cm, and longer in the leg but with ‘regular’ arms. I get a 200mm dropper in my large with about 75mm of post still showing.

Do you own a pair of Cuban heels?

I’m 6ft 3 or 190.5cm and I’m on an XL. Never having rode a large I can’t comment but the XL feels like a perfect fit.

I’ve only ever run my scandal with a rigid fork and 29×2.6 tyres. Handles everything I’ve thrown at it and has never complained. It’s the perfect winter bike, very little maintenance but it’s so good I still use it in summer.

Slightly slower on the DH but takes more thinking which I prefer. Much quicker on the climbs.

Makes a great bike packing bike too

ravingdave

Does anyone reckon you can get 650b+ tyres in a scandal?

zippykona

I would have thought if 2.6 29 fit 650plus will as well.

Del

@damascus what fork do you have on there?

damascus
    Free Member

@del it’s a genesis tarn carbon fork. I think its the equivalent of a 120 29er fork.

ampthill

It was designed for 650b. So my worry would be dropping the bottom bracket lower

hopefiendboy

Just as an update I’ve decided to plump for a whippet in size large. The light weight appeals for more gravel type trips but retain offroad ability etc. However the geometry was similar to my boardman mht 8.9 that was nicked so I’m fairly confident the whippet will be a worthy replacement. I’ll update once delivered and had a chance to ride it!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.