Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Better to go down in a blaze of glory right?
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

I have a meeting with the CEO this afternoon and I am trying to decide how honest to be – I only joined the company 3 months ago and it has been a horrendous mistake, and I feel I was mis-sold the role.

Anyways, I am trapped in the classic middle management bullshit layer where it’s hard to get anything done. I was told my role would be more senior than it has turned out to be. Now I am pissed to find someone with a poor track record is being brought in above me at a C-suite level.

I have outlined a change plan for the company to save its ass, and I am now seeking buy in to implement it. And it’s unlikely because we’ll need to wait for the new golden child to arrive before permission will be granted. And then he’ll get the plaudits for my thinking.

So, in my meeting and this arvo do I quote the CEO’s words back to him from a presentation he gave last year in which it turns out he very much mis-represented the company to the outside world? My change plan would help him make good on those public comments.

I have started the hunt for a new job as I do want out, but I would rather go on my own terms.

How honest/brave to be?

At the moment I’m feeling balls to the wall…

andybanks
    Free Member

Been in this position. Save your time.

Cancel the meeting and spend the hour looking on job sites instead.

If the CEO can’t see the problems already, you’re not going to convince him to change.

binners

neilwheel
    Free Member

Stay calm and be honest or just don’t bother at all. The future is (hopefully) brighter.

Gary_M
    Free Member

someone with a poor track record is being brought in above me at a C-suite level

Maybe he doesn’t need to ask a forum for advice on how to behave in the corporate word?

I can’t believe that someone operating at ‘reporting into CEO level’ is fannying about on a forum.

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Ouch Gary M! Quick sandwich at my desk and a breather from the email/spreadsheets/ppt that is my day otherwise….

molgrips
    Free Member

All or nothing.

He’ll either fire you, in which case you’ll get your garden leave, or he’ll be amazed by your insight and balls and promote you.

buck53

I am now seeking buy in

The middle managements bullshit speak is already starting to manifest, get out whilst you still can!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Does your employer need to “save its ass”?

If so, do you think someone with 90 days experience of this business is the right person to form the “ass save” plan?

Frankly your post is pure “middle management bullshit” as in it uses lots of words to say almost nothing.

I’m guessing from your choice of language you’re based in the US?

Anyway, IMO you have to consider your position in terms of ‘leverage’ your a new employee who plans to tell the CEO that his business needs it’s “ass” saved and you only you know how to do it – by all means, you could enjoy spending 30 mins telling him how much of an idiot he is before he sends you packing without a reference, or you could wind your neck in a bit, be a bit more humble and constructive about the situation and sound him out about your plan – he might accept it and perhaps re-think he plan to give you a line manager you don’t rate, or at least you can keep earning whilst you find something that befits your ego.

cookeaa

I have outlined a change plan for the company to save its ass, and I am now seeking buy in to implement it. And it’s unlikely because we’ll need to wait for the new golden child to arrive before permission will be granted. And then he’ll get the plaudits for my thinking.

I’d just go over your plan with the CEO, and ask if he’s got any input to your grand scheme if He’d be keen to endorse your ideas to the new boy, be positive no matter what, you’re off soon so why burn bridges?

The worst “Middle managers” are the ones who seize on all the problems, offer no solutions or strategies to deal with it and just start hurling blame about, if this fella might be writing you a reference in the coming months do you really want to go calling him a liar and telling He’s steering the company towards bankruptcy?

ElShalimo

so did you deliver your Magnum Opus ?

scaredypants

C-suite level

is that where all the c-words work ?

cranberry
    Free Member

I thought it was a C-suite level operator’s word for the pee suite.

slowoldman

C-suite level

is that where all the c-words work ?

[/quote]
    I had to Google it. If that’s how they speak your company, you’re better off out of it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Go and chew the fat with the CEO and see if you two can do some blue sky thinking to find a route through this. You never know, there might be a bigger Audi in it for you as well as your own parking spot with the added bonus of seeing your CGrade rival out on his arse.

If all that sounds like your worst nightmare, forget the meeting with the CEO and get on with getting out,

EDIT, if you’re being paid for a more senior role but doing a lesser one, shut up and keep taking the money, pride doesn’t pay the house off.

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Success!

Was honest up to a point – left the most scathing criticism to the side and simplified the message on the basis of valid feedback here.

Now have the backing I needed and will be able to start moving things forward.

Still some big issues to work through – and I don’t think this will be a job i’ll stay in long – but at least the story on my CV should turn out to be okay. Phew.

ElShalimo

Is it an American company?

Stoner
    Free Member

simplified the message on the basis of valid feedback here.

You’re still gibbering. Stop it.

But well done.

Now go and re-learn speaking English proper like.

crankboy
    Free Member

a meeting with the CEO
    mis-sold the role
    middle management
    C-suite level
    outlined a change plan
    seeking buy in
    new golden child
    make good on those public comments
    Do they pay you a shed load of money and give you plenty of time off to roll around in it or spend it? if so suck it up and crack on if not either kill yourself now before middle management corporate spirit sucks your soul,or run/ride for the hills of the real world.
    Clue the real world has managers/owners and staff no middle management if there is a C-suite level nobody uses that term or chief any thing as a job title.

toby1

THE Most important book essay you can read right now, really.

tpbiker
    Free Member

How big is this company you work for exactly?

I only ask as I’m fairly staggered that anyone of any authority in a company would base the contents of a conversation with his CEO on ‘valid feedback’ from this forum.

ElShalimo

In an American company everyone can be a vice president and the C in C level could be Derek the building manager (caretaker).

Maybe the OP is having a bad day as Dilbert’s random mission statement generator has failed to provide the answers?

wallop

This is spam, right?

IanMunro
    Free Member

This company, does it have B Ark written over the entrance?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I thought you went out in a blaze of glory, or down in flames

matt_outandabout

Are you a unicorn?

SaxonRider

This entirely relevant article is probably the best commentary on corporate management speak ever written. 😀

webwonkmtber, it’ll make a good read.

jamj1974

Clue the real world has managers/owners and staff no middle management if there is a C-suite level nobody uses that term or chief any thing as a job title.

Not quite. The corporate world my have a lot of shite in it but I am afraid it is real… If you can avoid it – fair play but not all of us can, even those if us who hate management speak, corporate politics etc…

user-removed
    Free Member

John drummer – never heard any Jon Bon Jovi?!

slowoldman

Not quite. The corporate world my have a lot of shite in it but I am afraid it is real… If you can avoid it – fair play but not all of us can, even those if us who hate management speak, corporate politics etc…

You could try “sorry I didn’t understand that” or simply respond in plain English.

ElShalimo

SaxonRider – great link!
    Sounds like a lot of my colleagues

john_drummer
    Free Member

@ user-removed yes, exactly. Going OUT in a blaze of glory. OP said going DOWN in a blaze of glory.

although having said that, bon jovi is not the first band I listen to so I could be hearing it double wrong 🙂

nope, sorry my mishtake. 😳

scaredypants

doods, the OP wants career progression; if he(?) feels the need to go down in front of the C-suite big nobs in order to achieve this, who are we to argue ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The OP heading to his meeting?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I really only understood one word in five of this thread.

But props to the OP for surviving.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

If someone joined my company and within 90 days was telling me how we all need to change after having to go to a forum like this for advice I would be thinking “what a c suite!”.

Maybe take your head out of your own “ass” before going to the meeting?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Better to go down in a blaze of glory right?’ is closed to new replies.