Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Better pedals than SPDs for shedding mud?
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

I like my SPDs generally, but in the winter they always end up getting mud (kinda sandy mud round here) in them and then it’s hard to clip in/out so either I don’t clip in (which is bad) or I can’t clip out (which is worse).

Are other brands better for shedding the mud?

druidh
    Free Member

Some of the Ritchey shimano-alikes are better in that regard as they are a more open design. Might be worth it if you want to stay with that style of cleat.

Eggbeaters seem to offer the best solution (apparently).

nickc

Eggbeater apparently shed mud easier, but come with their own drawbacks

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – and my Ritcheys didn’t jam up at SITS last year – that#s a testament to them 🙂

eckinspain
    Free Member

Eggbeater apparently shed mud easier, but come with their own drawbacks

such as…?

ji
    Free Member

such as falling apart – 2 friends have now had this problem mid ride (one within 3 rides of new). I think they are OK if you look after them.

glenp
    Free Member

Couple of very simple solutions to that problem:

Don’t keep putting your feet in the mud. Clip in when you start riding, clip out when you arrive at the pub!

Get in the habit of tapping your foot sideways on to the end of the pedal before you clip in, thus knocking the grit out before you engage.

Quite a bit simpler and cheaper than changing pedal brand.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Time pedals

eckinspain
    Free Member

Cheers Glen, yeah I do try to do that. I guess it was worse at the weekend as we were on a sort of “skills course” and so there was more stopping and standing around in mud than usual.

Falling apart sounds like a particularly serious drawback for the eggbeaters.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

time.

perform in mud FAR better than shimano.
    don’t need maintenance every 2 months, before totally failing after a year, like egg beaters.

i’ve a pair 6 yrs old, still going strong.

glenp
    Free Member

oops – didn’t mean to sound patronising. Virtually all of my mountain biking time is spent doing the skills instruction these days, so I sympathise! The tapping out of the grit does work really well. Another thing I’m careful about is that if you clip in and it feels gritty then I don’t just ride on – I clip out whilst I still remember and tap my shoe again.

cp

it took 7 replies before Time was mentioned??! Time is the king of mud. and ice. and snow 🙂

kiwijohn

Time
    My Z Controls are on there third bike. Simple & strong as a box of hammers.

chakaping
    Free Member

Time never clog.

And never need servicing (in three years anyway).

I_Ache
    Free Member

Bloody fell over yesterday because I couldnt clip out. Good job it was quiet at CyB.

jfeb
    Free Member

Yep – Time pedals are definitely better in the mud than SPDs

eckinspain
    Free Member

it took a while but we seem to be reaching a consensus here!

spooky_b329

Another vote for time. The only time they clog is in the snow, but kicking your foot into the pedal clears it easily 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

time atac roc… mine are great 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

My SPD 520s used to clog up quite a bit – never had a problem with the XTR ones I’ve got now though.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Time or eggbeaters, both very good in mud. Depends how concerned you are about weight, eggbeaters are a lot lighter but need the bushes and bearings changed every 6-9 months, times seem indestructable.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Better pedals than SPDs for shedding mud?’ is closed to new replies.