Bestest fromage ever? I know it's subjective but….

Home Forum Chat Forum Bestest fromage ever? I know it's subjective but….

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Bestest fromage ever? I know it's subjective but….
  • I’ve been around a few cheeseboard in my 44 years. But for me, the one that really rings my bell (paise) is Roquefort. Soft, creamy, tangy and mild and a great catalyst for a cheese / port based reaction.

craigxxl

Just tried some Sheperds Purse, Harrogate Blue. Not sure if its my favourite yet but a few more pieces may make my mind up.

Sharpham for me – a good cornish brie style cheese but creamier.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Rogquefort is indeed an outstanding cheese, it goes fabulously well with Sautern/Barsac or other sweet wines.

As for choosing a single best cheese that’s just too difficult, one cheese is never enough. Excuse spellings, some favourites

Comte for souflees
    Savoie and Tome de Chevre
    Reblochon for tartiflete
    St Marcelin
    Gruyere for Daupphinoise potatoes
    There’s a wonderful pyramid shaped cheese with a layer of ash
    A variety of Cheddars from fairly mild to strong and tangy
    A good stilton and a glass of port

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Vacherin. It’s a seasonal mountain cheese that smells as strong as it tastes. Filth.

As of now, I’d say it was Tunworth.

Roquefort and Sauternes. A match made in heaven.

If I could only have one it’s got to be Beaufort.

spchantler

anything without fruit. whoever committed this travesty needs a severe talking to. the only things that should be added to cheese are mould or a few herbs in soft cheese. no cranberries, apricot, chilli etc. carry on.

boxfish

Gouda with cumin seeds in it is a favourite of mine.

Boxfish, take that to the heresy thread.

FFS.

boxfish

Open your cheese mind. Embrace the dairy diversity.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

+1 Tunworth.

Several textures, wide range of tastes. Smells like beelzebubs scrotum though.

crikey

While you’re all poncing about…

Suggsey

Gorgonzola for me I think Roquefort a close second.

cchris2lou

Roquefort.

Born and bred 15km from the caves where it is made.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

One cheese?

Wensleydale you flacid niche cretins!

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Lincolnshire Poacher.
    Manchego.
    Stilton.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Manchego (officially Queso Manchego) is a cheese made in the La Mancha region of Spain from the milk of sheep of the Manchega breed

I can’t stand this anymore!!

ninfan
    hammyuk

Nice to see a few others have discovered Manchego 😉

yunki

fromage frais

mogrim

Nice to see a few others have discovered Manchego

Hard to get away from it in Spain, it’s the Spanish equivalent of cheddar. As in everything from rubbery crap to sharp, crumbly deliciousness.

But this “one bestest fromage” thing is stupid, anyway: there’s no such thing. All cheeses have their place and time, except gouda with cumin. That’s just rank.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

Stoner and The Cap’n – can Tunworth be used in cooking? If so, any recipes please?

Haven’t tried it yet, a few guests had some but there’s plenty left. 🙂

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

Sister and bro-in-law brought some cheeses over from france for christmas. Roquefort layered with mascarpone! I’ve never said this before but…….OMG, it was freakin awesumz. Apparently only carrefour do it. It’s well worth searching for if you’re over there.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

“Proper” Cheddar from the West Country made with green milk, or Stilton are currently gracing the Sandwich cheese board. There’s also a properly ripe brie (just solid, only just) which is rather good.

boxfish

All cheeses have their place and time, except gouda with cumin. That’s just rank.

Have you tried a mature komijnekaas? Creamy, salty, cumin-y goodness. Yum.

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

Cornish Yarg…

God I love that stuff.

Cantal fermier for myself if choosing a firm cheese to top them all.
    Sometimes I feel like the world is collapsing in when I see fruit/chilli/seeded bloody cheese being bought.
    I don’t need much in this bleak world in which we live to cling onto but dairy is one of things.

soops

Manchego for me followed by a really stinky Brie. 8)

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

Really enjoying my Long Clawson Stilton here. Never tasted Stilton like it, creamy, not bitter.

Also, had some valdeon blue a week ago, that was superb

Premier Icon Pik n Mix
    Subscriber

Black bomber or Roquefort

Premier Icon pedropete
    Subscriber

If you like Roquefort, Cabrales from Spain’s picos de Europa is fantastic. From these shores, Montgomery cheddar.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

Impossible to answer since there’s so many types – you can’t compare a soft rind cheese against a blue against a hard cheese any more than you can say that that pint of lager is better than that stout which is better than that glass of cider.

Can’t believe that Stichelton hasn’t had a mention yet though…..

allthegear

I’m going to have to side with bearnecessities as I absolutely love Wensleydale, especially the one made from sheep’s milk.

Mind you, I did discover recently that a local cheese stall in Swaffham is doing Savoie made Reblouchon. Mmm – tartiflette…

Rachel

Mackem

Stilton – with honourabke mentions for Cabrales and a good Cheddar.

Cant believe a few have selected Manchego – it’s the beige of cheeses.

niksnr

Isle of Wight Blue and Gallybagger, oh, and a nice Double Gloucester!

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

spchantler – Member

anything without fruit. whoever committed this travesty needs a severe talking to. the only things that should be added to cheese are mould or a few herbs in soft cheese. no cranberries, apricot, chilli etc. carry on.
    +1000000 on the fruit front but chilli flakes are OK

Shropshire Blue is my present fave but as the weather warms up I seem to gravitate to soft French cheese variety’s

grum

Cambozola is a current favourite, too hard to pick an all-time best though. I’m a big fan of Blacksticks Blue, and Epoisse.

+1 on no fruit in cheese

Premier Icon timidwheeler
    Subscriber

Wensleydale, Shropshire blue, Cheddar and Stilton.

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

I’m currently nibbling a bit of Roquefort and sipping a Sauternes. Lovely.

And although I’m allergic to “with” I used to love a Torta di Dolcelatte which is layers of dolcelatte with marscapone..

Klunk

best cheese is all about the moment, a run of the mill cheddar allowed to sweat in a warm cabin all day eaten on fresh crusty bread with a lovely glass of chianti watching the sun going down over Horsey Mere, Heaven !

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Bestest fromage ever? I know it's subjective but….’ is closed to new replies.