Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best XC tyres for clay based muddy rides?
  • argee

After several years away from buying stuff and just using up my old stock of tyres, i now find myself looking for a set of tyres for the impending muddy conditions, and as all i have left now are some Maxxis Ignitors and monorails, as well as a half dead pair of kenda nevegals it looks like i’ll need to buy a pair.

So what are the ones on the market nowadays that would be good on muddy clay based trails, but are relatively lightweight and not too lethal on roads or the likes when going between trails?

Apologies for the what tyre thread, but it’s been a long time since i last asked this question!

sparkerfix

For the clay covered east mids I ride in winter, it’s a nobby nik up front and a trail raker (sp) on the back of the ss hack.

tcairns
    Free Member

Or bonty mud x and agree with trailrakers…you won’t find better for sticky clay loams..

ktmblag
    Free Member

I’m using bonty mud really like em

Clink

NN in mud? Not the mud I’ve ridden in…

Bonty Mud-x or Maxxis Beaver should do the job.

argee

Cheers for the replies, i did see the trailrakers and having spent a good amount of time with panaracers, i did think these, or fire muds might do the job, with bonti’s, are they still a bit tight to get on the rims, not had a set in a while?

pymwymis
    Free Member

Bonty mud x. Done.

No probs getting them on (running TLR version).

james
    Free Member

Bonty mud X 2.0″ for me for all round winter usability. Make a decent job at clay, but as a clay only tyre I’d want to try the 1.8″ or for out and out clay filth it’d be 1.5″ Schwalbe Black Sharks

widge34
    Free Member

Continental Baron black chili up front with Specialized Storm on rear

argee

Any good places to get some bontrager mud x’s, the only 2.0″ i can find are at 35 quid a pop, is there any better, as the 1.8s seem to be cheaper, but might be a little narrow?

jameso

Storm Control 2.0s are cheaper, really good mud tyres.

widge34
    Free Member

Storms are £24 at Pearce cycles

davemonty
    Free Member

Have an unused 26″ storm control for sale if you’re interested.

mboy
    Free Member

For proper clay mud, I’d want something that clears a bit better than the Mud X, grippy as they are.

Check out the Maxxis Medusa’s, the 2.1 is a good allround winter tyre, the 1.8 is an excellent “utter filth” tyre. They’ve still got stock of the 1.8’s cheap at On One too.

Wally

argee – Try here pair of Mud-X 2.0 26″ £43 new.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I’m with MBoy on this, two SITS on wet stickey clay anything fat is out. Something with W I D E spacing between the “Spikes” maybe a Swampthing if you can still get them in narrow sizes.

mboy
    Free Member

two SITS on wet stickey clay anything fat is out

Whilst those around me on Mud X’s and (god forbid, anything wider!) were struggling with clogging, or just exceptionally heavy, slow tyres, I was running 1.8″ Medusa’s last year at Eastnor… Just cut through everything and found traction where others didn’t! The only guys doing any better were those on 29ers that had the sense to bring some 32c CX tyres with them…

Clink

Whilst those around me on Mud X’s and (god forbid, anything wider!) were struggling with clogging, or just exceptionally heavy, slow tyres, I was running 1.8″ Medusa’s last year at Eastnor… Just cut through everything and found traction where others didn’t! The only guys doing any better were those on 29ers that had the sense to bring some 32c CX tyres with them…

Well if you will insist on riding around in circles what do you expect?! 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best XC tyres for clay based muddy rides?’ is closed to new replies.