Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Best XC MTB Hardtail for under £800
  • barrymccull
    Free Member

No doubt you will have seen a post along these lines before but your advice would be really appreciated.

Looking for a sturdy, light, well equipped hardtail for under £800. After reading countless reviews and forums I’ve narrowed the list down to the following bikes (all new):

Whyte 801
    Genesis Core 26.2/3
    Genesis Core 30 (£594)
    Cube Attention / Acid (not great reviews)
    Scott Scale 70 (£580 -£634)
    Mondraker Finalist Pro (£650)
    Revolution Triad 2.0
    Kona Blast (£700)
    Kona Caldera 2009/10 (on sale £480 @ Paul’s)
    Spec Rockhopper Comp / Expert
    Cannondale SL 3 (£560) SL 2 (£629) both at Paul’s cycles and both older models

A couple of more things. (1) I don’t want a white bike (for obvious reasons) so that discounts Voodoo Boker and Boardman. (2) Not overly enamoured with Spec Rockhopper SL through riding it – don’t think it’s the right ride for me. (3) Not against buying second hand. I simply don’t have the know how to spot a banger from a bargain.

Thanks a lot,

Barry

Duggan

I have a Cube Attention 2009 and really like it, though I had to spend an additional £250 on new forks so that would rule it out your price range, cumulatively.

If I was buying again I think I’d buy a Genesis Core, they always seem to get great reviews all round.

lordjenks
    Free Member

boardman team

join British cycling for 30 pounds a year- get 10% off, total price 795. winner.

barrymccull
    Free Member

Genesis bikes seem to pop up everywhere I look. There definitely in the top 3 so far. I had actually thought of doing the exact same as you’ve done with the Attention. But it tips me over as you say.

I worked out that if I joined British cycling I could get the Boardman Team for c £784, which is hugely tempting.

Great shout and will most likely join British cycling anyway now.

Cheers

BristolPablo
    Free Member

found this on http://www.bike-discount.de whilst looking at other bits. specwise its incredible vfm (999 euros so its around £860) though there are some unknowns wrt the frame.

Frame ZR Team Series Alu 7005
    Fork Rock Shox SID RL PopLoc
    Travel 100mm
    Brakes Formula RX, 180/160 mm
    Crankset Shimano XT FC-M780, 10-speed
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Hollowtech
    Shifters Shimano SLX SL-M660 10-Speed
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT RD-M780, 10-speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano SLX FD-M660, 10-speed, Topswing 34,9mm
    Cassette Shimano HG62, 10-speed 11-36
    Chain Shimano HG54 10-Speed
    Hubs HB-M756/FH-M756
    Spokes DT Industry black
    Rims ALEX EN24
    Tyres Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance Draht 2,25″
    Stem Race Face Ride
    Handlebar Race Face Ride Riser
    Seatpost Race Face Evolve, 31,6*350mm
    Headset FSA No. 10 semi-integriert
    Grips Radon Schraubgriffe by Velo
    Saddle Radon by Velo
    Pedals Aluminium Bärentatze
    Weight –
    Colours white/lime

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/kS1/a58228/zr-team-7-0.html?lg=en

barrymccull
    Free Member

I haven’t come across Radon Bikes. Are they well respected?

Likewise, has anyone used this website for buying bikes?

VanHalen

i`ve got a cannondale trail sl frame (it was an sl6 full bike but its morphed somewhat)

great little trailbomber. only niggle is the chainstays are quite wide but i dont notice it really. seems strong enough for me to do all the freeridy things i like so far too. 1.5yrs old and still being abused.

karen805
    Free Member

I love my Whyte, it’s a fantastic bike for the money. Would certainly buy another if/when my current one needed replacing.

barrymccull
    Free Member

After looking at some bikes at the weekend I’m veering towards: Boardman Team, Scott Scale 70 and the Kona Blast.

alpin
    Free Member

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOO4561X5/on_one_456_evo_x5_sektor_bike

a tad over budget, but a decent build and a frame that can take some real abuse.

if you’re looking at the boardman then type “halfords voucher code” into google for ~10% saving.

barrymccull
    Free Member

Will do.

Could you re-post the link? It isn’t working.

alpin
    Free Member

sorry, barry…. did you mean the link i posted?

go to on-one’s site and look under “bikes”.

tomhughes
    Free Member

I always say the same thing to people in these situations. I would personally recommend building the bike up yourself and source most if not all of the bits second hand.
    Its easy to say, having built up many bikes (all road and TT so MTB are still proving tricky) but its the only way to really get what you want and generally works out much much more cost effective.

I am currently building up a carbon hardtail 29er, with reba forks, sram XX groupset and hope/stans wheels. I still have the odd part to source but at the moment its coming in at about £950. Half the parts are new from shops on sale and half are excellent condition second hand. The RRP of the build comes to over £3000.

If you don’t have the know how to do this I urge you to learn. It will also save you a load in LBS costs when bits go wrong. At the end of the day its all mechanical and most bits can be replaced.

barrymccull
    Free Member

The on-one 456 Evo X5 Sektor is a very nice bike. Just a bit out my price range.

The Inbred X5 also looks like a good bike and is more within the budget.

Have you ridden on-one bikes?

If only you knew me you would know how unlikely I building a bike would be. I still struggle with Lego!

tino1595
    Free Member

Radons get cracking reviews in europe

tino1595
    Free Member

Cube, Radon , canyon etc will take over in the end just as VW, Audi, BMW etc. have with cars.

andyruss
    Free Member

If you can stretch to 850 go for the boardman team,,awsome spec

HermanShake
    Free Member

My Trance is in your budget if you want a capable full sus? It’s a medium, very black and not too chubby even with a Pike on the front.

LINK HERE

crftom
    Free Member

caldera ebayThis years caldera ????

barrymccull
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I’m wanting to avoid a full suss bike but cheers for the offer.

I had only briefly checked out Radon. They seem to be well equipped, easy on the eye bikes – like the ZR Team 6.0. Do they only sell mail direct through German websites? Anyone ridden one?

Tried a few bikes out last weekend. The Kona Blast was tons of fun as was the Giant XTC3 (if a bit pricey).

Finding myself drawn to the Boardman Team for the value and reviews. Going to test drive a Core 26.2 as there good deals on the Core 30 (2011).

It’s turning into a saga.

flowerman
    Free Member

Check out the specialized hardrock pro I have one as my XC bike and the only fault I can find is th saddle.

alexb17
    Free Member

I got one of these last feb. Bargin for £500 IMO.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/25827/Marin_B17_Bike_2010

jonundercover
    Free Member

A certain well known bike mag seems to think the rockhopper was bike of the year 2011 but then again they seem to be sponsored by specialized! pages of advertising lol. I have an upgraded Marin Nail trail which is great and the rocky ridge is meant to be great too but slacker and longer travel.

johnnystorm

Join British Cycling through Quidco, it only costs £13 then iirc to get your 10% voucher. The join http://www.seloc.org for £12 as you’ll then be entitled to buy Halfords vouchers with 10% discount. Then go and buy a Boardman on reserve & collect. That way you can collect it boxed and build yourself. I took this route today after seeing a yoof scratch a carbon seatpost to buggery. 🙄

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

The B17 looks a good solid bike bm.It will also allow you to up your game when your skills develop.I would also checkout the Commencal Ramones at Merlin if I were you.Looks good fun and you could still afford to get important accessories. Apes.

sam69
    Free Member

ive got a brand new giant xtc 3 very light was £845 and ive upgraded parts £650 + postae bargain

barrymccull
    Free Member

I like the thinking on getting all those discounts on a Boardman which is probably what I’m going to get.

Saying that, I am very intrigued by the Marin B-17. It looks fantastic value and for that price. Whoah. Also appears well reviewed and would probably take a punt on it for the price.

The only thing that seems to be a downside – for the price can’t really complain – is the weight. Does anyone know how heavy it is?

I’ll check out the Commencal too

Stainypants

Mrs Stainypants has a Boardman team and its a great bike. I keep eyeing it up

alexb17
    Free Member

I’ve got the Marin B17 and it really isn’t very much heavier than my brothers Giant XTC 3. I was surprised how light it was.

barrymccull
    Free Member

So would you say its somewhere around 13-13.5kg? Or even lighter?

Trying to track down its exact weight but can’t find any info.

Would like to know before I begin to seriously think about getting it.

alexb17
    Free Member

Went and weighed it for you. Came in at 14kg for the large frame.

barrymccull
    Free Member

Alex,

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Barry

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Best XC MTB Hardtail for under £800’ is closed to new replies.