Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Best working boots for walking all day?
  • ski
    Free Member

Need to be steel toes and have ankle protection, wide fit would be nice.

Been using cheap light year’s but have they have just split on me after six months of use!

So for the Stw massive that work on their feet all day, got any recommendations?

Forgot to say, laced and in black

Ta

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

About 10 years ago, I worked in a large factory, moving very heavy pieces of equipment around. That meant standing on a concrete floor for 8 hours a day. Kin killed your feet, especially as the work reg boots I was issued with were rubbish. So I bought a pair of these, put in some gel insoles and never looked back.

http://www.catfootwear.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/17710M/0/Mens/Holton-SB?dimensions=0

Still got them in the shed, beat up but still going. Saved my ankle from shattering into several bits when I dropped a heavy metal shelving unit onto it. Muppet 😳

waveydave
    Free Member

gel insoles are important, when you get sized up allow for these as you need a deeper shoe. At the mo i use Buckler slip ons but i think thye do lacers. D

maccruiskeen

for wear all day comfort I’d go with Catepillar stuff. I had some of their Combustion boots that lasted for years and years and years (7 IIRC) great in the cold too. More recently got some Dimens which weigh a lot less, good al day boot too but little less robust – they got scruffly looking quite quickly (I make things fit by kicking them into submission) but held together and stayed comfy for 3 years. They’ve just been replaced by a more casually styled Brode High, nice and light again, took a bit of breaking in but look set to be another good set of boots.

gel insoles are important

My Cat boots have been fine as they are but with safety shoes /trainers I’ve bought for the summer the first thing I’ve done is ditch the standard insoles and either put the insoles I like from an old pair of trainers in or bought a fancy a hiking boot foot bed.

seadog101

I have these Doc Marten rigger boots:

All day comfort and cosiness. if the fit is a bit sloppy, insoles will fix it. Not cheap I know, but worth it.

cheez0
    Free Member

asking on the wrong forum here son..

IT office based Audi drivers don’t wear proper footwear.

ski
    Free Member

It did cross my mind, but I know there is a good mixture of bods here too 😉

Thanks for all the tips so far, just trying to justify a £80 boot over the normal £30 (I am tight) boot

maccruiskeen

just trying to justify a £80 boot over the normal £30 (I am tight) boot

do it by justifying one pair of £80 boots over 4 pairs of £30 ones

loddrik
    Free Member

Timberland Euro Hiker Work Boots

mulacs

The boot you are looking for is the attractively named Gronell D-678.
    Low ankle, but good tread, superb leather and stitching and of course safety toe.
    Try Gronell here for more info.
    Bad points are not waterproof in the slightest. And probably hard to find retail.
    I wear these all day everyday – I’m a National Trust Ranger so they get smashed about and generally badly treated!
    The other boot to look at is the V12 hiking style boot, we buy these for our volunteers and hear no complaints.
    Hope this is of some use!

Onzadog
    Free Member

£30 on boots? You could try some superfeet insoles which cost about that but will make any boot more comfortable.

Marin
    Free Member

I got some cheapo steelies, lace up and black for about 20 quid from industrial clothing place. Had them for a year, very light and comfy with insoles. No footplate so not good on ladders but for a no name brand cant complain.

flowergirl
    Free Member

Don’t know if they’re suitable but I wear Apache safety trainers at work in the kitchen. Non slip soles, ankle protection, steel toe caps, black, can wear them all day with no issues. Had mine two years, been through the washing machine a few times and still look like brand new. Think you can get them for about £40.

Kuco

Always found Cat boots comfy. But it is a personal choice.

CountZero

Yeah, of course we all are! 🙄

Dickyboy

always found cat boots comfy but a bit big & heavy for walking round that there london, which reminds me I must replace the shitty footwear that I currently have – flooded flat roof last week was a quick reminder that one of the soles has split 😕

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Karrimor mid height hiking style ones with Sorbothane insoles. Have lasted well so far, not too heavy, comfortable.

Have had good results with Dickies in the past. Hated Dewalt ones with a passion – like wearing diving boots.

therag
    Free Member

I’m wearing element goretex atm £90 from safety shops. On my second pair. Extemely light & comfy.
    Sports direct do some light ones to for about £25. nice to wear, but only last a month or two.
    I find the big company’s like cat & dewalt are far too heavy.

Andy_K

U-Power Concept M’s. Best saftey boots I’ve ever owned. Lightweight and cool with a composite toecap.

bigblackshed

Doc Martens or Cats for me for years. Comfy and they last. I’ve got a pair of Beta shoes ATM. Carbon toe caps = very light on the feet. Like wearing slippers.

As for spending reasonable money on work shoes? I work 4 on 4 off, 12 hour shifts. So a quarter of my life in them. More than any of my others shoes. And I’ve got a bit of an Imelda Marcos syndrome going on. 😉

transporter13
    Free Member

Just had to buy some new boots today as it happens.

Picked up a pair of Dickies Medway hiker boots.
    The first pair of boots that I’ve ever put on and not had achy feet within an hour.
    Wide fitting
    Ankle support
    Steel toe cap and midsole

I couldn’t be happier and I’ve had cat boots in the past

DavidB
    Free Member

merrels

BlindMelon
    Free Member

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/6J3400

These have been the best I’ve used. The Cats I had were uncomfortable as the steel toe part wasn’t wide enought

finishthat
    Free Member

Have a look for royal mail issue doc martens. Code doc784a.
    Impressed with mine. Light and comfortable all day

cheez0
    Free Member

Just to prove I’m not a Audi driving IT nonce..

I’ve had a pair of these for over 10 years, comfy as hell, I used to stand all day in these in my machining days.. a bit tatty now, but still has original laces! 🙂

Linky

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve tried all kinds over the years, the cost was never an issue if I thought they were a good boot. I’d settled on Grisport Contractor’s (link), and have been through about half a dozen pairs. Any Doc Martens, Dickies or CAT boots I’ve had in the past haven’t lasted as long or been as comfy…I did use an anti-shock innersole though, still made by Grisport and they only cost about a fiver.

kiwijohn

10 years for a pair of work boots.
    Mine are knackered in 10 months.
    Blundstone lace ups are my choice, but winery work kills them.

jock-muttley

Hoggs make some cracking boots, designed for farmers, well put together, not the lightest but boy are they comfy.
    They are about £60 but well worth it. Stand shed loads of abuse yet still polish up fine to look presentable, polishing also makes them last a lot longer.
    Used mine to cover about 17 miles a day 5 days a week 35 weeks a year, if you are out in winter then go for the insulated ones. They are available as a lace up or dealer boot.
    Oh and they are British made too
    Linky clicky

oliverd1981
    Free Member

i really like my Sievis. We have to change footwear a lot so having zips is a major bonus. They doo need new insoles pretty much straight away but I haven’t found many boots that don’t benefit from aftermarket insoles – if nothing else they give you a bit of extra thermal insulation. Cold soles are uncomfortable soles.

imn

I’d recommend DM’s. My latest are DM Heath which are waterproof and CE S3 rated. Very comfy and wearing well. Previously used Wolverine brand, which were comfy but didn’t last (sole delaminated in <1 year) and were more expensive.
    Altberg do decent walking boots, and make versions for Police etc which have steel toe, e.g.Peacekeeper P3 VS, so worth considering too.
    You mention steel toe and ankle protection, but do you also need midsole protection, waterproof etc?

drummer
    Free Member

I believe the police wear these ? I had a cheap copy once and they were great for walking ( sorry can’t find a link to the cheap ones )
    null

grahamg
    Free Member

Yeah, bugger off, I’m a receptionist although being male, heels are optional. I might drive stick though… nudge, nudge, wink.

Dewalt Challenger 2 – I’ve walked hundreds of miles in the ones I’ve had, over rough ground, on tarmac, through snow. Comfy and last well.

Cofra do a similar boot too which I’ve currently just worn out, but think I’ll go back to the Dewalts.

The Dewalts look best in tan, but seeing as half the posters up there are incapable of reading your OP, here’s some in BLACK… 😉

Edit – not cheap, but why scrimp on something you wear on your feet all day, every day?

ski
    Free Member

OK, after checking out as many of the recommendations above as I could, I eventually went for the Dewalt Challenger 2.

The looked quite battered after just a days work, but boy are they comfortable, thanks again for all the suggestions.

Sandwich

Too late for you but I’ve some ARCO carbon fibre jobbies (shank and toecap) that did 2 years yomping around sites in London with very little damage. Lightweight and very comfy, took some breaking in though.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Best working boots for walking all day?’ is closed to new replies.