Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best wood glue?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Fixing a pine dowel into a sheet of chip board (I know..). It will be a very tight fit, but also want to glue it as there will be a moment on the dowel.

Apart from the obvious PVA, any recommendations? Not overly fussed about waterproof, setting time (within reason) etc – just want a solid joint!

Ta,
    Duane.

andyr
    Free Member

My dad (a carpenter for almost 40 years) only uses evo stick wood glue (green bottle for indoors) or fastgrab.

Duane…
    Free Member

Read good things about Titebond 3..

Klunk
    Free Member

got some superglue from the states Bondtite Insta-cure, really difficult to manage though, quite useful if you need to remove your finger prints

sv

Polymite or Gorilla Glue, or indeed the green evo stik pva is good (blue for external work).

jonnyrockymountain

Soverign PVA, been using it for 25 years (large bespoke joinery company) with not a single issue

globalti
    Free Member

PVA is stronger than wood once it’s dried.

ThePinkster

My Dad always used to swear by Cascamite for bonding wood together, but that was more for outdoor woodwork, boats & stuff.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

+1 for Gorilla Glue

slowoldman

That animal stuff you boil up in a pot.

footflaps

Read good things about Titebond 3..

I use it, seems fine so far.

jonno101
    Free Member

+2 Gorilla, you only need small amount as expands!

kayak23

Gorilla glue is horrible evil stuff. I’m sure it sticks as well as the next glue, but man, does it get everywhere…
    We’ve banned it in our college workshop as the students end up covering everything as it expands and spews out of the joint and all over the sash cramps and bench.

Very difficult to judge the right amount I think.

A simple dowel into board?
    Pva…. Nowt fancy needed.

chiefgrooveguru

Traditional PVA gives a stronger bond than most of the fancier glues, especially the expanding polyurethane ones – if the joints are good, anyway!

skink2020

+3 for gorilla glue. I use it for big area joins. Its not as brittle once dried, as standard PVA.

chickenman

There is Polyurethane based Gorilla glue which is great for repairs where you don’t have a tight fit between surfaces and for very oily timber like Iroko (but very messy.
    There is the PVA version for joinery tasks like what the OP asked about.
    The main advantage with the Gorilla stuff (Titebond is similar) is the clever nozzle design that reduces clogging.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Any polyurethane glue is just awesomz such as this
    Glue

I dropped a bollock on a stairway cut out a couple of weeks ago whilst flooring. The board had been down 30 mins tops and I had to literally smash it off the joists then chisel them clean. Incredibly strong stuff!

kayak23

chickenman – Member 
    There is Polyurethane based Gorilla glue which is great for repairs where you don’t have a tight fit between surfaces

I think this is the main thing with gorilla glue, in that it may not be as much of a saviour for badly fitting joints as some folks might think…

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MUWu-N85oXM[/video]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best wood glue?’ is closed to new replies.