Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Best winter gloves? Not Sealskinz…
  • sc-xc

For the last 4 or so winter commutes I have used Sealskinz gloves. Been through a couple of pairs, and they now need replacing again.

Last winter was a killer – the ends of my fingers get so cold, I spend the first 10 minutes at work quietly sobbing while trying to relieve the pan of frostbite that would make Ranulph wince.

I have tried wearing a thin pair of running gloves underneath, also latex gloves…but nothing stops the biting chill.

Any opinions on what makes a nice toasty winter glove?

Cheers

simondbarnes

Specialized Sub Zero here. Toasty warm.

RealMan
    Free Member

If you’re wearing a decent pair of gloves and still getting cold fingers, you’re either not moving your fingers enough whilst riding, you’ve got bad circulation, or you’re not wearing enough layers on your body and the rest of yourself. Or you’re somewhere really stupidly cold.

Also got the sub zeros, and they’re pretty good.

epicyclo

I’ve been using the £5 hairy wool gloves from Tesco for the last few years.

They weren’t on sale last year and I haven’t seen them this year, but they’re the best gloves I’ve had for winter mtb. I have spent a fortune on gloves previously.

fourbanger
    Free Member

When you say you’ve been using Sealskinz, which one? The thinner black wooly type ones or the extreme winter ones with insulation?

sc-xc

Cheers all, the Sub Zero look good – shame they’re not at CRC (I did the spend £100 to get a £50 off the next £100 thing)

The Sealskinz I use look like these:

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing the Endura Strike for the last few winters and they seem to be pretty good – much prefer them to the sealskinz.

But as Realman says you need to do a bit more than just warm gloves. Make sure you flex your fingers and keep your body core and wrists warm too. If your body core is cold it will draw warm blood away from the extremities. Layers are your friend as is a windproof outer.

Karinofnine

I got some from Aldi for a fiver – they are sort of waterproof too. I get cold hands and feet but these have done me for almost all conditions. I have teamed them with some ancient Trek three finger mitt things over the top. On the very coldest day I use a pair of motorbike gloves which I think I got from Tesco – also for a fiver.

dyna-ti

Lobster claws 😕
    Not great for control if youre a fast technical rider but these are warmer that standard gloves.

SamuelLam
    Free Member

Have you thought about these?:
    http://barmitts.com/install.php
    The missus suffers from bad circulation (in the hands) and uses motorbike ones. They they keep her hands toasty warm.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member
    Northwind

Big fan of my Fox Antifreezes, though they’re expensive. Not perfect- outer should be waterproof or at least water repelling. But very warm, and yet also very good to ride in- not too bulky or restrictive, decent feel.

I’ve got iffy circulation so not much can keep my hands working… Aldis ones don’t do it, standard Sealskinz not even close, but these do. Only things I’ve used that were warmer were motorbike gloves 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I bought a pair of 35 quid Extremities velo gloves on the strength of some great reviews. No better than the fiver aldi numbers…..

Northwind

Aye, I’d forgotten about those, not impressed at all.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Liners – it is all about the liners.

footflaps

I use Gore Cross GTX gloves when it’s really cold:

Also use them for Skiing.

defydude
    Free Member

I got some from Aldi for a fiver…

Likewise. Several winters now with nice and toasty, if a little sweaty, hands.

Macavity
    Free Member

At £5 a pair Skytec Argon are OK.

nickswolves
    Free Member

The Aldi ones are great but unlikely the OP will find them in stock now?

In the latest issue of a certain other mag, they awarded the Endura Dexter the best winter glove and you can add a cheap inner liner from any camping shop to make them warmer if need be.

oldboy
    Free Member

+1 on the Aldi gloves. I keep a spare pair in the car for mornings when everything is frozen solid. The gel stuff on the palms grip the stearing wheel really well.

z1ppy

TBH though no doubt most of the gloves mentioned above may be good, and or even brilliant for the money spent, I can’t see how any could get a good as sealskinz IME. I have a an older set I pull out in the depths of winter, and only the depths of winter as I literally can’t use them at any other point as my hands sweat too much.
    I personnally would be simply looking at Sealskinz extra cold weather cycling gloves, or the handlebar mittens (lobsters) – though the bar mits above would be an option too if you commute regularly.

The only other thing worth mentioning is about getting keeping your body warm & insulated, as I find in the really cold, it’s not until I’m almost boiling that my hands and ears start to warm.

MSP

If you having problems with what is already quite and insulated glove, you should probably go for some pogies to use as an adition to gloves.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&CategoryID=5&ProductID=14

flatfish
    Free Member

As Sam Lam says Bar Mitts for the win.
    They’re also a hell of a lot cheaper than the dogwood version from Eric at revelate.

I’ve used my Bar Mitts down to minus 10 and a bit using summer gloves and was still too hot(you can vent them though).
    They look ridiculus but worth every penny in my opinion.

http://ajbikeequipment.com/page2.htm

fuzzhead
    Free Member

+1 for Fox AntiFreeze. Warm + not too bulky

monkeyp

If you suffer from really cold hands then get yourself down to Heine Gerricke motorbike shop and get a set of Pathens – £50 in either 5 digit or lobster claw style. Not too big and bulky and not obviously motorcycle gloves, but very warm.

jfeb
    Free Member

Fit is as important, if not more, than construction. If the fingers of your gloves are not quite long enough they will get cold. I have this issue due to long fingers.

kudos100
    Free Member

I have two pairs of ALDI gloves (large) for sale if anyone wants them. I found them a bit too bulky. One pair have been worn for 5 minutes, the other pair are brand new. £10 + £3 postage for both

email me @ worldeliteAThotmailDOTcom

Gary_M
    Free Member

Those bar mitts look ideal for my needs. What are the like in tersm of control flatfish, any issues? I’d be using them on my drop bar commuter.

Are the waterproof?

Are they a faff to fit/remove?

crankboy
    Free Member

Altura Night Vision warm reflective water/wind proof and glow in the dark! bit bulky but i like the fact you can pull the outer off and keep the linner on for fiddly jobs.

ransos
    Free Member

I can’t see how any could get a good as sealskinz IME

Seriously? I have a pair and find them to be fairly useless. They’re not remotely waterproof and they’re not warm enough when the temperature gets down to below freezing. They’re ok for milder days I suppose.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Best winter gloves? Not Sealskinz…’ is closed to new replies.