Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • best wheel set for £550
  • gixerator
    Free Member

I currently run DT1800 with Hope pro II front and DT 180 rear.

I’m considering an upgrade. Mainly trail center riding on my Carbon remedy. Are the 2013 Cobalt 3 still made of Swiss Cheese? If so any other suggestions.

Thanks,

slowrider
    Free Member

Bit ethe bullet and go mavic crossmax. Either st or sx depending on your priorities. The mp3 replacement scheme is well worth it too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Crossmax ST (or SX if you’re rough) all day long. Brilliant wheels.

bwaarp
    Free Member

If you could push to 800, I’d be running some Syntace MX35’s (the width is insane for the weight). If not, then I’d go cheap and cheerful with some Superstar hubs laced to Stans.

Do the mavics still have the god awful hubs that were seeing them being slated in all the mags?

Also, never buy anything with proprietary spokes for obvious reasons.

proberts
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2012 ST’s and can’t fault them, they’re a very good wheelset.

njee20
    Free Member

I currently run DT1800 with Hope pro II front and DT 180 rear.

DT 180? The ceramic bearing £600 hub? If so, rebuild that.

I just don’t get factory wheels any more. For that budget I’d get DT240s on your choice of Stan’s rim – Crest, Arch Ex or Flow. With an appropriate DT spoke for your riding/weight either Comps/Super Comps or Revolutions.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…best wheel set for £550…

…Mainly trail center riding…

…any other suggestions.

get a grip?

hth.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

😕

honourablegeorge

bwaarp – Member

Do the mavics still have the god awful hubs that were seeing them being slated in all the mags?

No, they have all new hubs that are spot on.

fudge9202
    Free Member

For trail centre riding this amount of money is insane I got hope pro2 evo’s on stans flow for £269.00 awesome wheelset for all the riding you are going to do so save a couple of hundred quid and put it towards a trip to the alps or something like a skills course and improve your riding. 😀 8)

gixerator
    Free Member

ahwiles, If I knew what your angle was I would respond accordingly.

njee, no its the two pawl system.

I will have a look at the ST’S then.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

who says he cannot afford the other things you suggest?

he asked for advice on stuff in HIS budget

gixerator
    Free Member

I ride other trails and dont roll over a trail center. I hit them hard usually racing in a group of 5-8 of us. The benifits of a lighter more responsive wheel are apparant and benifical in this enviroment as the hardest single track. It fits in with my normal life schedule. No im not the most gifted but am Mias trained coach and normally run with who ever and where ever I ride with. I find that most people who criticize people for where they get there kicks are all front and little ability.

Is it possible to give advice on the wheels and not my choice of location.

ahwiles
    Free Member

ahwiles, If I knew what your angle was I would respond accordingly.

For trail centre any riding this amount of money is insane

it seems to me that you’ve chosen your budget, and now you’re looking for ways to meet it. there are plenty of other things to spend your money on.

(a nice meal, a long weekend in berlin, guitar lessons, etc.)

i am of course an idiot – try not to get upset by the ramblings of an idiot.

(and, in my humble opinion: trail centres are ace)

AlexSimon

I wouldn’t touch Crap Bros wheels with a 10-foot colour-coordinated proprietary spoke.

nobbyq
    Free Member

easton havens !

tracknicko
    Free Member

550 on mountain bike wheels.

**** me.

Painey
    Free Member

Regarding the Crank Bros wheels, I’m aware of their well founded reputation but I’ve had Iodine 3 wheels on my bike for 6 months or so now and so far I’ve been very impressed. Very sturdy feeling and they’ve taken a fair old battering around Wales and still feel like new. Couldn’t be happier with them so far and I hope it stays that way.

Also I believe the Cobalt wheels are more xc focused so depending on what trails you’re riding they may not be that suitable anyway.

A mate recently bought some of Easton wheels for his Zesty and is having to send one of them back already. Fairly surprised about that.

njee20
    Free Member

£550 for wheels is mid-range these days let’s be honest! With carbon and what not, that’s the cost of one Enve rim!

I paid that for some Crossmax USTs back in 2001!

patriotpro
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member
    550 on mountain bike wheels.

**** me.

😆

tracknicko
    Free Member

£550 for wheels is mid-range these days let’s be honest!

what they ask for, and thus define as THE range is very, very different from what i’d pay and thus consider MY range.

£550 is a staggering amount of money for something i/we are going to drag through slop and land sideways on like a bag of spanners.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I’ve just spent that much on some wheels as a stand in until I can afford my carbon set….

If you can afford it who cares!

njee20
    Free Member

what they ask for, and thus define as THE range is very, very different from what i’d pay and thus consider MY range.

What are you doing here exactly? I imagine most threads must give you a heart attack. I’d pay £550 for wheels rather than £300 for a seatpost…

jedi

loving my crossmax sx and st’s 😀

patriotpro
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    £550 for wheels is mid-range these days let’s be honest!

I’ll admit i’ve not done any thorough market research before posting this comment but i’d have to say that’s BS. 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

Pro 2/stans arch ex – fits the bill perfectly and leaves you with change!

njee20
    Free Member

I’ll admit i’ve not done any thorough market research before posting this comment but i’d have to say that’s BS

In pure price terms I should say. Plenty of £1500 wheelsets out there now. Whether they offer any advantage over a £550 wheelset is something else altogther…

tracknicko
    Free Member

What are you doing here exactly?

thats a question with a depressing answer. not sure really. just my 2p for an interesting debate and lively conversation.

your spending priorities seem sensible.

zippykona

A friend of ours had a haircut that cost £300. I have no hair,buy the wheels.

neilforrow

BOR MD7 hubs on BOR/ FRM 388 rims.

Light, strong, with a fast pickup.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Have a newly built set of Kings on XM819s if you are interested at much less than you are looking to spend

deanfbm
    Free Member

IMO there is only three choices in wheels.

Budget option – pro2/stans
    Better option – chris king/stans
    Best option – chris king/carbon rim/cx ray spokes

You can’t go wrong with dt swiss 240s, but again out of budget.

The pro2/stans is the only option in your budget.

The hope hubs are ok, nowt special, spares are readily available and not extortionate.

Mavic hub construction are pretty horrific in my experience. Spares are expensive and annoying to get too.

Chris king – hubs for life, fully serviceable, a treat to work on.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I haven’t read the thread but for that sort of money I’d be buying 2 wheelsets, one with something burly like Flows and something else lighter.

gixerator
    Free Member

BOR MD7 hubs on BOR/ FRM 388 rims.

Light, strong, with a fast pickup.

I’m not familiar with BOR, but the weight is very good for an all mountain wheel. I imagine spares are a bitch though

patriotpro
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    In pure price terms I should say. Plenty of £1500 wheelsets out there now. Whether they offer any advantage over a £550 wheelset is something else altogther…

Fair does njee – As you say there are some of £1k+ wheelsets out there.

My thinking was that in terms of performance – £550 is right up there in the top bracket.

somafunk

I got Hope pro2’s 28 h on Stans Crest with CX-Ray spokes and prolock brass nipples from Jon @ Just Riding Along for under £500, very strong and light – 670g front and 790g rear for a cove hummer with 140mm fork – i don’t hang about when i’m riding either, i imagine this may be too light for your set-up though.

What wheel is best for you obviously depends on your riding style and for what it worth (i work in a bike shop) i’d avoid Easton’s unless you enjoy stripping down the freehub every time you ride in mud, Avoid crank bros as the spoke tension and build quality is not always consistent, although if you get them rebuilt by someone who knows what their doing they can build into a very decent wheel but if you brake a spoke you’d better be carrying spares as the vast majority of bike shops won’t have them. Mavic’s ST’s are good, well built and pretty bomb proof and the mp3 program is nice to have as an insurance policy.

But if it was myself i’d get Hope hubs, reliable and spares are in every bike shop – very easy to service. Whatever stans rim floats your boat – perhaps a Flow or Flow EX if you hit stuff fast and like a wide rim or the Arch if your a bit more cautious and considered, Sapim CX-Ray spokes with Prolock nipples and get them built by someone who knows what their doing, either Just Riding Along or Strada or similar. They’d build up about 1700g and be Bomb proof.

captaindanger

Get handbuilt or nothing, I suggest nothing

gixerator
    Free Member

well I will see the best deal I can get on the ST’s. I will see if any of my LBS can do them then and issues can be sorted quicker.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

St’s have stood up to my clumsy attempts at wrecking them today at cwmcarn downhill (red) and the previous 12months of clubhandedness!

Although they are expensive at least they don’t make that godawful din that hope hubs do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘best wheel set for £550’ is closed to new replies.