• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by m360.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best way to secure a garage door?
  • finners

Looking to bolster the security of the garage door. Any hints and tips of what / how to do it? Any ingenious ideas? Cheers

munkster
    Free Member

Tick.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Is it accessed through your house or separate?

jonnouk
    Free Member

Is it a roller door?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Build a brick wall on either side of it?

project
    Free Member

Up and over or metal /wood/ hinged, what type of roof, fragile roof equals pointlessly reinforcing door.Detached or attached to house.

duntstick
    Free Member

TiRed

From the inside, I have a bar than jams the hinges, I also have deadbolt into the door frame and I disconnect the cables to the standard locking mechanism. You won’t be entering from outside.

Of course I then exit from the internal door. Without that, i’d fit two sets of deadbolt, top and bottom, different locks.

finners

Up and over door.

jonnouk
    Free Member

If you have a flat roof with an up-and over door, there’s nothing to be done. The scum hang on the roof and kick the top of the door in making those garage-door t-handles you see bolted to floor pointless. If the bottom is uncovered, you can hook something underneath and rip the door down. If the top is uncovered you can jam a screwdriver/knife and push the sprung-loaded bolt down. Some of the door locks are easy to pick.

The last 2 I learnt as a kid to get into my dad’s/friends parents garage to get our bikes out when our parents were away with the keys.

If you armour the door with bolts, they go in through the roof, and dismantle the door from the rear. A neighbour had his 2 Gas-Gas trials bikes stolen exactly that way.

project
    Free Member

1 inch box section bolted down each side of the door on the inside, Mortice bolrts top and botom both sides, wall or floor anchors.CCTV/baby alarm to hear see whats going on inside.

deadkenny
    Free Member

TiRed – Member
    From the inside, I have a bar than jams the hinges, I also have deadbolt into the door frame and I disconnect the cables to the standard locking mechanism. You won’t be entering from outside.

Crowbar (or some heavier duty tool) open an edge or the bottome and crawl under. Fairly common way I see of breaking into garage doors even if the door itself is firmly locked and won’t move.

Problem is garage doors are flimsy, even if well locked.

The most secure is in the house. House doors are more difficult for them, and it’s also a higher risk crime for them, either from being caught in the act or that they risk being done for breaking and entering, which will land then a harsher sentence than stealing bikes (which even if they get caught is practically a slap on the wrist).

globalti
    Free Member

We have an integrated garage with up and over door made from wood, which I think would be harder to break than a flimsy steel/alloy job. Top and both bottom corners have bolts and I reckon to get through it they’d have to kick in a panel so I’m going to screw some alloy sheet to the frame inside then fill the gap between it and the panels with expanding foam, so as to make it all more shock-absorbing.

neilwheel
    Free Member

OP it’s hard to make any useful suggestions without any details, sorry.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Look for the weakest point and start there.

It’s much easier to secure the large door from inside an reinforce it if it is flimsy. It starts to get hard to achieve if the building is not that strong anyway and you need to get you car in and out regularly.

eskay

I have a side access door so I do not tend to use my up-and-over.

To secure it I have disconnected the wire link from the lock to the catch.

I have drilled about 12 holes through the garage door and into the wooden frame and the concrete floor. I push some M10x40 capscrews through the door and into the frame/floor. I have them at all of the corners and down each side and along the bottom of the door. It is a pain in the arse to open but like I said, I don’t need to do that very often.

I have thought about bricking it up from the inside (leaving the door so someone could convert it back easily if I ever move). This would secure the door and give me another wall to hang bikes on!!

m360
    Free Member

A security post would be the best option.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best way to secure a garage door?’ is closed to new replies.