Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best way to potty train?
  • enfht
    Free Member

Recently had the carpet replaced with wood flooring just in time to start potty training my 20 month old boy!

Does anyone have any sensible advice on how to make it easier?

GW
    Free Member

there is no “best way” all kids (and parents) are different.
    is he ready?

uplink
    Free Member

Just encourage them to sit on it
    loads of praise if they actually do anything at the time

They’ll only use it when they’re ready not when you’re ready 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

Piece of paper on the fridge for stars and “well dones”. pack of stickers for getting it right (or stages of getting it right – i.e. knowing when to go, even if they dont make it)

MrNutt
    Free Member

the cane of shame?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Let him lead you, don’t push it. You have to be prepared to do it as much as them – dealing with the dirty clothes etc. Top tip – carry spare shoes as well as clothes. Be prepared to stop and try again if it’s really not working, they’re all different. If he’s at nursery, ask them if he’s showing interest there.

Waited and waited and waited with our daughter from her first showing an interest in ‘the big toilet’ to having a go. In the end she was 24 months, but then it was a done-deal within a week.

stumpyjon

Wait until he’s reaqdy, don’t force it and don’t make it a big issue. Our oldest took mulptiple attempts before she was finally dry, with our youngest (who we trained younger as well) it was like flicking a switch, one accident on day one and he was trained, no 1s & 2s and dry at night (mind you after the trauma with the oldest we were due a break).

One thing to bear in mind, parents love to potty train their kids early but even when trained they often don’t have the bladder control, when the realise they need to go they need to go. You think it’ll be great to ditch the nappies but then you spend the next year constantly looking for toliets!

Clong
    Free Member

We found that getting them involved with chosing the potty when you buy it helped. Keeping it around the house for a while helped too. Let them play with it for a while before you attempt to use it in anger. It might help to have your child play with other children that are potty trained, at least it seemed to help our daughter. We pretty much let our daughter decide when she was ready, just after her second birthday, she was runing around the garden “bumfree” and ran up to teh potty, did her thing and walked of. Made a big fuss of it, lots of cheering and such like, she been fine eversince. The poos can be a bike more work, it freaked our daughter out a bit, which is not uncommon.

GrahamS

Apparently just shouting “No. Bad. BAD” and rubbing their nose in it, is not “good parenting” any more. 🙄

It’s political correctness gone mad I tell you.

clubber
    Free Member

Rewards (we used stickers) and congrats for doing it right, don’t make a big deal when accidents happen.

Took about 3 weeks for it to be reliable though TBH the nursery really did most of it and he actually wanted to do it because the older kids were.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just get him used to the idea.
    We used to suggest our boy used it before his bath. He’d sit down, stand up, get in the bath and wee 🙂
    Eventually he got the timing right and it didn’t take long before that was that.
    He’s just mastered “standing-up weeing”.
    when I say “mastered” I mean refuses to do anything but. which can get messy. Fun and games 🙂

jwh
    Free Member

As much as you can make sure he’s ready.

We got persuaded by our nursery that our 2 yr old boy was ready, although he showed very little signs.
    He got the idea quickly and like above witin a few days was dry all day and then all night as well. This carried on for several months. Then he stopped been trained…
    He won’t ware a nappy and refuses to say when he needs a wee.
    If running round the house naked he’s fine – but when wearing clothes… He’ll just wee in them
    We wish we had waited until he was older….

GrahamS

If running round the house naked he’s fine – but when wearing clothes… He’ll just wee in them

Wait till he finds your shoes…

kevj
    Free Member

My little lad (20 months) would not sit on a potty at all, but he was always fascinated when his older brother used the toilet so we gave that a go. He took to it straight away after some initial apprehension of actually sitting on the seat.
    We have since got him a reducer seat that fits on top of the main seat and a step.
    We also keep his nappy off when in the house and give him little reminders every now and then. In the three weeks or so we have only had a couple of accidents.

EDIT, actually, thinking back, we did encourage him to use the toilet/ potty, but he showed an interest himself, calling for me to help him on that first time. He did it again later that same day too.

jp-t853

As many have said it will happen when he is ready, obviously show him and encourage him but don’t get stressed and worried about it. It will just all click in to place one day.

My wife got stressed as other kids were potty trained according to the mothers and our daughter was not interested. The fact was the other kids were peeing on the sofa four times a day but hey they were saving on nappy costs.

GaryLake
    Free Member

use it in anger

😆

ir_bandito
    Free Member

“the poos can be a bike more work, it freaked our daughter out a bit”

just wait till the first day-after-eating-beetroot.
    Now he looks every time to see if he’s done another purple poo…

jon1973
    Free Member

Best way to potty train?

The potty station ?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Let him watch you too – tell him what you are doing and let him learn and understand.

And when he inevitably makes a mess don’t panic or raise your voice – it’ll make him think it is wrong.

Two days ago I caught one of our girls eating poo.

Oops.

retrogirl
    Free Member

I waited until my son was 2 and put him in pull ups kept taking him to the potty and once he mastered going for a wee and no 2 and kept his pull ups dry we just put him in pants and went for it. We were relaxed and there will be a few accidents but he took to it really well and only wears a nappy at night

TiRed

Wait till they are ready. And don’t use a pot, sit them on the toilet with their hands behind them. We started at about 18 months decided it was too early and waited another six months. Then instigated the “Son1 has worn his last daytime nappy” policy. That required a week of extra washing, a pair of new shoes (he weed on them in the shop!) and some rapid visits to the toilet. By seven days we were done and never looked back. Started Son2 at about the same age.

I don’t see the point in sitting kids on a pot and waiting with reward stickers…

Then you have to teach the boys again how to go standing up 😆 . Fit Lino!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best way to potty train?’ is closed to new replies.