Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • best way to loose belly fat
  • littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Avoid grains and watch your sugar intake (including fruit)

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Sugar = Delicious
    Fat = Delicious
    Bread = Delicious
    Beer = Delicious

Solo
    Free Member

Sugar = Delicious
    Fat = Delicious
    Bread = Delicious
    Beer = Delicious

I’m not sure anyone is disputing this. Thankfully.

bellerophon
    Free Member

So what is better for weekdays work lunch – a pint of whole milk or a can of diet coke?

Given that choice I’d go for the milk for two reasons; I don’t like the taste of diet ‘anything’ and aspartame.

Also, I saw a report on TV so it must be true 😉 regarding diet drinks, where it was suggesting that the sweetness of the drink sent a signal to the brain that a sugar rush\energy was to be expected, obviously this didn’t occur and led to people snacking on other carb foods; sweets, crisps etc.

However, my preffered drink would by sparkling water or green tea…

mrplow
    Free Member

I drink water for the rest of the time at work but like something with taste to look forward to at lunch. Not really a fan of tea, coffee etc. I love Irn-Bru but got over that addiction many years ago 😆

zilog6128

I switched to a proper low-carb diet on 1st Jan – not fat but want to get down to a real “racing weight” (ideally under 10% BF). I am very active so not counting calories and pretty much gorging on high-fat foods (at mealtimes, no snacking). Working well so far, lost 6lb.

As far as drinks go, normally a coffee in the morning, green/yerba tea or water at work and water all other times. Milk, whilst very good for you, is more generally drank by those wishing to gain weight rather than lose it.

grahamg
    Free Member

After averaging 10 hours a week of riding for the last 6-8 weeks and seeing my weight remain largely static, I’ve had to just accept that I need to eat less. Whilst there are so many different ways of doing this such as consuming foods that increase satiety etc. it still requires massive amounts of will-power and effort as it is simply really frigging hard to re-adjust, especially when you’re training even at just moderate intensities.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Yep, fair enough not everyone likes (green) tea etc.

If I wasn’t going to drink milk from the choice you gave and wanted a fizzy drink, I’d go for a ‘proper’ coke. There’s only 140ish calories in 330ml can, not much but mainly sugar. A pint of semi skimmed milk contains about 250 calories, however, a pint is 568ml so a fair bit more, a 330ml serving of milk is probably the same calorie content as the coke.

Milk also contains protein, BCAAs amongst things which the fizzy drink won’t.

zilog6128

After averaging 10 hours a week of riding for the last 6-8 weeks and seeing my weight remain largely static, I’ve had to just accept that I need to eat less.

Or just better. When I was “born again” and got my arse off the sofa I lost a stone in about 6 months doing A LOT of cycling, but was stuck at that point. (YMMV of course). As soon as I found out about and tried the iDiet I shifted another 3 stone in the next 4 months. And that is no calorie-counting, eat-as-much-good-food-as-you-like.

bellerophon
    Free Member

gorging on high-fat foods

Yay, at last…

grahamg
    Free Member

Definitely eating better too – but I’ve always found that far easier than reducing volume. My ‘born again’ moment was three months of touring Europe and arriving home 2 1/2 stone lighter. I’ve gone back up half a stone or more and just know it’s going to take a real sustained hard effort to undo all the bad eating habits that allowed my weight to creep back up.

variflex
    Free Member

I lost 12kg’s in 2012 by simply doing the following:

1. Cut out the latte’s at work completely and changed to green tea, black coffee and water during working day. Drank beer in the evenings as usual.
    2. aT lunch time, drastically reduced the starch and carbs from sandwiches and had a small soup and small roll. Different soup every day, but stuck to soup Mon-Fri
    3. Ate as normal in the evenings
    4. Increased MTB bike riding from zero to 2-3 night rides a week and a 3-4 hour ride on a sat/sun morning.

simples 🙂

The main thing to do is to reduce carbs, starch, not too much sugar for reasons above. We all tend over over eat, so limiting portion size can really help some people also.

Kip

If my hazy sports science memory recalls correctly, aspartame contains phenylalanine. This is found naturally in the body and is used to create energy (in the Krebs cycle?), however, excessive amounts are not recommended, especially for children, because they can cause mental retardation.

That gem comes from Tortora – Essentials of anatomy and physiology.

Hmmm, now make your milk/diet coke choice!

bellerophon
    Free Member

If my hazy sports science memory recalls correctly, aspartame contains phenylalanine.

Yep aspartame does get broken down and one of the by products is phenylalanine, another by product can be increased appetite 😯

However, for me, whilst there is a controversy regarding aspartame being a carcinogenic or not I’ll be giving it a miss. Although as I said before I don’t like the taste anyway.

mrplow
    Free Member

The fizzy drinks causes mental retardation thing rings true, I used to drink 2 litres of Irn-Bru a day as a kid! 😆 Can’t refute that fact!

If I am doing turbo sessions and core work during the week and rides at weekend is the milk not the best choice to help muscle rebuilding etc?

Thought it also contained minerals for bones etc? It is like QI in here, you say the obvious and expect a gong! :mrgreen:

Still thinking milk edges it. Not wanting to drink fruit juice as I eat enough fruit during the day and always read fruit juice was too concentrated so full of sugar and that fruit should only be eaten as a good tip.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Yes, it has lots more than just the proteins and BCAAs I mentioned,

If you add whey protein to milk and use post exercise it makes a fantastic recovery drink.

I’d go with the milk at lunch but not drink a pint, I’d drink 250-300ml.

BadlyWiredDog

Sent to hades in a hand cart in our modern era when fruit is piled high on super market shelves all year round.

Yeah, cos all those fat biffers you see wandering around, they’re all pigging out on readily available fresh fruit, right? Like all the overweight people on here, they’re overweight because they eat too many mangoes? Or bananas? Or strawberries? Ban the stuff…

zilog6128

IME too much fruit won’t make you fat but it might stop you getting thin.

Solo
    Free Member

Yeah, cos all those fat biffers you see wandering around, they’re all pigging out on readily available fresh fruit, right? Like all the overweight people on here, they’re overweight because they eat too many mangoes? Or bananas? Or strawberries? Ban the stuff…

*yawns*

calumf50
    Free Member

Chippy tea.

BadlyWiredDog

*yawns*

Do you genuinely think people eating too much fruit is an issue then?

bellerophon
    Free Member

If they eat enough of it (I.e too much) then the suger content could become a problem just like anything else… I mean a can of coke a day ain’t going to be too harmful, but drink enough of it and it will be. I suppose what I’m trying to say is, just because it is fruit doesn’t mean you can go mad.

Solo
    Free Member

Do you genuinely think people eating too much fruit is an issue then?

What I think, my opinion, isn’t FACT, and doesn’t matter to anyone but me.
    🙂

I have opinions, which have been formed through discussions I’ve had and reading I’ve done.

My feelings are that everyone is free to look into, or not to look into anything that interests them and I’m not here to convince anyone that I’m right about anything.

Each to their own innit.

Theres no need to argue, and I certainly do not wish to argue.
    🙂

BadlyWiredDog

I’m not arguing, I’m just wondering. I like the idea that Brits are pigging out on fruit, but it seems unlikely. I’d suspect that beer and junk food are probably more culpable, but that’s just my impression. Anyway, it’s worse than a diet magazine on here, I’m off to eat a banana… 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Getting a kidney infection worked well for me losing weight…

bellerophon
    Free Member

Yep BWD I reckon you’re right, anyway I’m having fruit salad with geek yogurt 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘best way to loose belly fat’ is closed to new replies.